It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
(female)

Michali525 HB User
Question IS IT Fibromyalgia???? and Costochondritis???? Pregnant and scared...

I just came down with symptoms that I've finally found appear like Costochondritis. I'm wondering if anyone here could give me their opinion about whether this could be what I'm experiencing or not, along with Fibromyalgia. I've had symptoms of Fibromyalgia for a VERY long time, but never have asked a doctor specifically. With all the similarities I've noticed in just this past week, I feel almost sure that this is what is going on. Please let me know if you think it sounds like FM....and Costochondritis.

Last week I started experiencing sharp pain in the lower left side of my chest, just under the breast, which was worse when I'd breathe deeply. This pain began to radiate up into my shoulder, neck, and then down into the upper back. After about an hour or so, the pain was going down into my arm, but this pain in my arm was more like a squeezing type of pain. I went to the ER and they did some blood work, x-rays and checked my heart. The Dr. wanted to do a CT scan to check for a Pulmonary Embolism. Well, I happen to be 34 weeks pregnant right now and didn't want that test done.
I couldn't sleep on the left side at all that night. Although the pain is better when I rest. I also started feeling as if my legs were very heavy and tight. Later, I had an ultrasound done and no clots were found. The pain in my chest is gradually going away, but the pain started to move. The shooting pains go through all of the left side of my chest now; and my ribs, especially under my arm in the bra-strap area, is tender and the same rib next to the breast bone is tender as well.

Now, a week later, I still have some pain. The mild breathlessness that I felt is pretty much gone (some of it's pregnancy related, I think). I have shooting pains in both legs and arms. If I lean my elbow on a chair, I have pain all down my arm. The same with my wrists and if I cross my legs. Everything is super sensitive. My arms, fingers, and toes sometimes feel like they're being choked (I don't know how to better explain that feeling).

I'm wondering if this could be Costochondritis along with a flare-up of Fibromyalgia??? I've never been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but I've had a lot of these shooting pains for MANY years along with a left sided headache that comes and goes. It was almost unbearable about 2 years ago. It comes on sharp and very severe for a few seconds to a few minutes or longer. I have terrible fatigue and have had for many years. I sometimes have "brain fog" and dizzy spells, floaters in my eyes, tinnitus...

Just before this episode happened, I had a strange "sunburnt" feeling along the whole upper right side of my forehead and scalp. A very short while later, I had a strange, almost invisible rash. I've also been experiencing Restless Leg Syndrome and have a feeling of crawling under my skin sometimes.

Please, please let me know what you think of this. I really don't think this chest pain is from a Pulmonary Embolism and I don't want the test because of the risks to my baby. The blood work and other tests didn't seem to indicate that. How can I get my doctor to listen to me and check me for Fibromyalgia?? I've talked with other doctors about some of these symptoms before; but never was taken too seriously, maybe because I was only about 17 when it started.

I forgot to mention that I've had bowel problems too since I was 17, and I'm 31 now. Diagnosed 5 different ways. The pain was unbearable for a long time and would block me up completely. At that time in my life, I also had a strange feeling for a while, of living behind a glass; or just not really being connected.

Sorry this is so long. Thank you SOOOO much to those who read my post and can give me any info.

Last edited by Michali525; 05-31-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Costochondritis???? Pregnant and scared...

welcome to the boards.
congrats on being preggers. your pain does seem to mimick a costo flare. they can take your breath away. i suggest quit wearing a bra or anything tight around your chest/rib area. sure helped me. hate bras anyway, giggle. i'm old, they sag, i don't care.
there is no test for fibro. sorry.
wishing you breath that does not hurt.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I can relate to your symptoms. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago but recently have developed strange symptoms like yours. I also have the swelling in my left side of my neck, my chest, and tightness behind one leg. When you mentioned the skin crawling arachnoiditis came to mine. Check it out. I haven't been diagnosed with it but in light of additional symptoms I experience I wonder about having that too as it can go hand in hand with fibro. Have you had any back surgeries, nerve blocks? I had back surgery and since then I have the symptoms you mention plus severe body cramping, restless legs, heat sensitivity and bladder spasms. I also have a rash that comes and goes.
It's scary everynight going to bed isn't it? I wonder what is next.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
(male)

vince10 HB User

I have both conditions. Costochondritis can be very painful. Burning throbbing pain. My doc gave me Relafin, a strong anti inflammatory. A few years ago I had a flare up so bad, six pain pills did not stop the pain. Sometimes you can press the area in your chest and it hurts when you press on it. I've noticed lots of caffine seems to irrated mine.

Closed Thread