It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
Spine problems and abdominal pain

Hi all. This may sound like a strange question ..... but then again maybe not.

Here is what I am thinking.

First of all when my spine problems first started in 1988 I was getting radiating pain to the left flank area. My primary doctor initially thought that I had kidney stones. So I went thru a test for kidney stones and that was ruled out. In fact it was found that I was born without 1 kidney and that was where the pain was. Then it was thought that there may have been a tumor pressing on something in the back area. That too was ruled out. Finally it was determined that all my problems were stemming from bulging discs.

Now here is the current problem. I have been experiencing abdominal pain; abdominal bloating; slightly nauseous too at times. I have been thru pancreatic surgery and for a while it was thought that I had a bacterial infection from the surgery. But now it is reoccurring and going thru testing to see if the problem is related to some gastro issues.

But what I am thinking is that while I am getting the bloating; the pain I am also noting increased back problems and it seems to be appearing where the stomach/abdomen region would be. And some pain in the hip area as well.

I did google the idea of bloating/pain related to spine issues. I have to read what I have found and there MAY be some causal relationship between the two issues.

Anyone ever experience this before or have any knowledge of the two being connected. Thanks for any feedback.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Spine problems and abdominal pain

I am sorry you having problems, I can understand your pain for sure.

I am the one who has stomach pain due to spinal problems. No bloating, nausea related to any spinal issues. But what is: deep into the stomach area pain, not sharp, but can be mild or strong at times, not going away, always there. Worse spinal problems - worse stomach pain.
I have spinal nerves damages and this affects my bowel and bladder I don't feel the need to use the bathroom, they are not working like a healthy person's are. This is all another story though.
If you have nausea and bloating, it must be something different. My SIL had pancreatic surgery too and since she has same symptoms as you, especially if she east something like radishes, broccoli or even simple fruits.
Pay attention which foods bring you discomfort, it may be the answer as well.

Best wishes
Moldova

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

mbis HB User

Moldova,
Your abdominal pain and bladder / bowel function along with back pain is exactly what I am experiencing. Everything I read says you lose control of your bladder which makes it sound like leakage but mine is that I don't feel the need to go. I have spinal stenosis with associated nerve damage and had one surgery that was very effective. But that was several years ago and I am afraid its time again. However, it seems that surgery every 5 years is a rather severe therapy. Have you found any help at all for the symptoms you are having? I would be very interested in hearing them.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear MBis,

unfortunately I cant even hope that something may be helping me in my situation since all my issues are permanent and get worse with time.
When your spine is full of hardware, when you have permanent nerve damages and you fighting serious auto-immune conditions, there are not much can be offered.
I find that long hot bath helping my pain while I am there and short time after. And of course pain medication. More I move, more pain is there.
Heating pad is my good friend at nights especially.

You are so right, surgery must be the last resort, this is not a therapy. I was told by a very well known spinal surgeon, who operated on me last time that more spinal surgeries we have, weaker our spine becomes and more risky this is.

Wishing you luck, hope you will feel better.
Moldova

The following user gives a hug of support to Moldova:
gmak (01-22-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

mbis HB User

Moldova,
Sadly, I expected that response from you. This degenerative process is not something that stops but I have learned it speeds up with time. I too love my heating pad but I use an electric blanket for a full body experience. It is so frustrating to be in constant pain. I don't say anything because no one really wants to hear it. But pain meds don't touch my pain so I don't bother. Kind of a bleak outlook.

The following user gives a hug of support to mbis:
gmak (01-22-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MBis,

I am sorry you in pain, I know how hard life for CP patients is.
When you said pain medication doesn't even touch your pain, may I ask you what medicine are we talking about?
Are you under PM mgmt Doctor's care? Is he Rx to you long and short acting medication? Is he suggesting any other pain relievers?

The thing is, on a good day my pain is 6, but this doesn't happen often. I am not talking about pain from DDD or other spinal disorders people may have I am talking about myself who has tons of hardware in my spine; who got Arachnoiditis as complication after spinal fusions; who has so many damaged nerves throughout the body which spread from neck down to my toes causing severe pain, burning, spasms; and of course pain from advanced RA, Lupus and MS. This is totally different pain, but it a very strong 24/7 pain which affects every cell of your body, every ligament, every muscle, every possible joint...
I tell you all this not for pity, I never do that, but to tell you that even with all what I live with pain medication works. If you under good professional who has good knowledge about Pain mgmt , he will find the way to help you.
No, if it serious, nobody will help your pain 100%, but he will be able to make your life liveable, better life quality where you are able to look forward to next day...
And good PM Dr never gives up. If resent medication don't bring me needed relive, he either changes the medication or increases doses or suggests some other ways to help you.

Best wishes
Moldova

Reply Reply