It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
(female)

deborahc56 HB User
L4/L5 spinal fusion

I have had a pinched nerve and herniated disk for many, many years. After exhausting all options, I had spinal fusion on my l4/l5 two yrs ago, which didnít help. Now I have burning down both legs (used to be just one) , numbness in legs and toes and pain in my feet. I have had three doctorsí opinions over the years. Now its keeping me up at night and I canít get to sleep anymore. This is wrecking my life. I have tried, acupuncture, chiropractor, massage therapy, reg therapy, yoga, two cortisone shots, which didnít help. I have no other options. I am going in for a 4th opinion but at this point I am not hopeful anyone can help. Anyone else had a similar experience?

The following user gives a hug of support to deborahc56:
Serial (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
(male)

expidition200 HB User
Re: L4/L5 spinal fusion

I have same broblem the only way to fix it is surgery, I go under the nife may 1st

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
(female)

deborahc56 HB User

Surgery didnt work for me. Good luck on yours...

Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sorry to hear of the problems you have developed since having had fusion. What did the doctors indicate was the problem? Do they think you have scar tissue or arachnoiditis causing the pain?

Is the pain similar to what you had prior to surgery or is it different in quality or location? Sometimes the first surgery is not sufficient to resolve the pain issues, which is what happened with my L4-L5 fusion. Mine was subsequently turned into a 3 level fusion and that resolved my problems...but obviously, that only works in some cases.

I had several opinions after it become apparent that the first surgery had made little difference in my "issues." No one could see but what that surgery "should" have resolved my problems. No nerve compression showed up and everything "looked great." But I kept at them, and eventually I ended up having more surgery which revealed a facet joint problem that had not shown up on any imaging.

Sometimes it pays to persevere, but it just depends on the issues.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
(female)

deborahc56 HB User

They could never figure out where it was pinching and didnt think surgery was the option but I was at the end of my rope. They fixed the herniated disk and I also had a buldging disk. Im not having another surgery. One was enough and very painful. The pain is similar to what it was before, but now its traveling on my right side. Feels like its starting point is in the joint of my left leg/hip. Im getting a 4th opinion this month. Not hopeful at all. Im so frustrated as I used to walk and work out and now I cant do anything anymore. Like others, its making me depressed, which doesnt help the pain.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

Have the docs looked at the SI joint on the left side? SI joint problems do sometimes develop in people who have had fusion surgery. The body mechanics have been changed through the fusion, so it can effect other areas.

The reason I ask is that you mention that the pain seems to start at the join of the left leg/hip.

Is the current pain different that what you had before the fusion? Where is the pain, and what is it like? What makes it worse? Better?

Reply Reply