It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
(male)

adopastos HB User
Re: Disc Protrusion L5/S1

Hi Munstangbabydoll,
Only those with the same problem can realize the situation and the pain we have every day.
Over the past two months i am studying different cases of people with herniated disc or disc protrusion as the experts are calling it.
What I have realised by visiting a surgeon orthopedic, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and a physiotherapist is that whatever method you follow it takes time. PATIENCE is the key factor.
Good luck to you!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
(male)

adopastos HB User
Smile Re: Disc Protrusion L5/S1

THIS GOES FOR OUR FRIEND cfiiman, who raised the following questions,

Could someone please help me with the following questions I have:

1. Is the micro surgery the logical next step if I want to be done with this?
2. Should I give PT a try before that?
3. Should I give another epidural a shot if this first one does nothing?
4. I know that once a disc ruptures it will never be the same, but can't you return to a mostly normal life just being careful not to over do it?
5. Are all sports out, wife and I wanted to take up tennis?

I'm sure there will be others but this is all I can think of at the moment sitting here. I'm truly sorry that any of us have to go through this, it seems cruel and unfair every time I try to do something simple and have a hard time because of the pain, and I know a lot of you all struggle with the same thing. thanks for any help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since i have the same history as you (see my initial post mine is 8mm protrusion)
ANSWRS.
1. For me is last thing i will consider my friend.
2. That's what i am doing right now, with laser and electrotherapy
3. ?
4.That is what i hope in my case also and the odds are in favor us (that's what the statistics are saying)
5.I do not have an answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adopastos View Post
THIS GOES FOR OUR FRIEND cfiiman, who raised the following questions,

Could someone please help me with the following questions I have:

1. Is the micro surgery the logical next step if I want to be done with this?
2. Should I give PT a try before that?
3. Should I give another epidural a shot if this first one does nothing?
4. I know that once a disc ruptures it will never be the same, but can't you return to a mostly normal life just being careful not to over do it?
5. Are all sports out, wife and I wanted to take up tennis?

I'm sure there will be others but this is all I can think of at the moment sitting here. I'm truly sorry that any of us have to go through this, it seems cruel and unfair every time I try to do something simple and have a hard time because of the pain, and I know a lot of you all struggle with the same thing. thanks for any help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since i have the same history as you (see my initial post mine is 8mm protrusion)
ANSWRS.
1. For me is last thing i will consider my friend.
2. That's what i am doing right now, with laser and electrotherapy
3. ?
4.That is what i hope in my case also and the odds are in favor us (that's what the statistics are saying)
5.I do not have an answer.
adopastos, thanks for your replies, just curious how old are you, how did you hurt yourself? Are you feeling any relief with the PT?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

cfiiman...I'll add my thoughts here. I'm 59...and I'm doing everything to avoid surgery, and I am getting better. I agree with adopastos. I will only do surgery on the absolute last resort notion....if I ever get to a place where nothing else helps anymore.

Yes...injections and PT can help...although everyone is different. Try not to jump to surgery until you have tried other things. I have had 4 injections this year, although in earlier years I had fewer and I was fine for a period of 5 years!

Traction at PT helps me alot. I do McKenzie exercises and I've added exercises for herniated disc from the book Pain Free..by Pete Egoscue.

Some people do just go to surgery...but for myself, I will avoid it completely as long as I can. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
cfiiman...I'll add my thoughts here. I'm 59...and I'm doing everything to avoid surgery, and I am getting better. I agree with adopastos. I will only do surgery on the absolute last resort notion....if I ever get to a place where nothing else helps anymore.

Yes...injections and PT can help...although everyone is different. Try not to jump to surgery until you have tried other things. I have had 4 injections this year, although in earlier years I had fewer and I was fine for a period of 5 years!

Traction at PT helps me alot. I do McKenzie exercises and I've added exercises for herniated disc from the book Pain Free..by Pete Egoscue.

Some people do just go to surgery...but for myself, I will avoid it completely as long as I can. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your advice, here is my problem currently, what "level" are you guys at activity wise? I need to be able to walk a few miles at a time you know, I have a Doberman Pincher that needs to walk and it is tough only being able to go to the end of the block and back and even that hurts. I guess what I'm saying is if I could just walk a decent length then I would absolutely agree on holding off, but what if you can't walk/stand very far/long at all? How can you live life like that? Also my docs keep saying "take it easy", what does that mean? I know I shouldn't be playing soccer or lifting weights, but what about walking, even if it hurts, should you just push through the pain? If you are not suppose to push through how will you ever progress with activity? It seems like a circular logic with no out, I need to exercise, but am not suppose to so I don't really get it and I'm frustrated.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
(female)

Are you taking anything to help with the pain? Is your doctor offering another injection? I had to have 3 fairly close together and then I finally started to get better.

I do hear you. I had to go on medical leave from work and I could not sit for more than a few minutes, nor lie down to sleep....I do know how awful it is. I also had one injection that did not help....so my doctor agreed to do another fairly quickly....

Have you asked your doctor these questions? Only you can make the decision, but asking a lot of questions if you are miserable, especially something for pain management is important....

As far as activity level...I have modified the way I do many things, such as the way I tie get dressed or tie my shoes or sit or put dishes in the dishwasher. I can walk fine...but I wouldn't run a marathon. :-) If I wasn't still experiencing some numbness in calf and foot...I'd be doing even more. It's getting better but it's an odd and irritating sensation. I also watch lifting. But...I have read so much about being able to go back to doing much of what you did before....in particular if your PT focuses on core strengthening. Ball exercises, and any exercises that strengthen the core....I hope this helps. :-)

Last edited by Calin; 10-26-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: forgot to answer...

Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
Are you taking anything to help with the pain? Is your doctor offering another injection? I had to have 3 fairly close together and then I finally started to get better.

I do hear you. I had to go on medical leave from work and I could not sit for more than a few minutes, nor lie down to sleep....I do know how awful it is. I also had one injection that did not help....so my doctor agreed to do another fairly quickly....

Have you asked your doctor these questions? Only you can make the decision, but asking a lot of questions if you are miserable, especially something for pain management is important....
Not really, I don't need anything for the pain if I just avoid walking/standing too much. My doc gave me Hydrocodone which I only took 1 time to "see" what it felt like, it was nice but felt like I didn't need it as I would only be taking it to "push through" pain caused by continued walking or standing which I figured would not be a good thing. I guess technically I could take a pill then go for a walk, I've never tried that, but I figured that is the last thing you should do b/c wouldn't you cause more damage?

I can get out of pain by sitting down or lying down, it is just walking or moving in a certain direction that really causes the pain. When I walk it is just a dull/deep hurting down my butt/leg/foot that I can only take so long before I need to stop, I mean lets be honest, that takes any enjoyment out of any activity like walking anyway. Then I have a really sharp pain if I say get in a car too fast b/c of the twisting motion you make getting in, so I get in like a 70 year old man or worse and I'm only 37. Should I just take the medicine and go on about my life if that works? That seems to be only medicating the symptom not the problem that is why I try to stay pill free.

Last edited by cfii; 10-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
(female)

If you can go without pain medication, then definitely do it. Is your problem a herniated disc? Are you doing exercises that stretch the piriformis muscle?

I am not a doctor obviously, but what you are describing sounds a lot like that...

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
(male)

cfii HB User

Yes, I have a herniated disc at L5/S1 of 5mm that is causing the pain, I also have a smaller one at L4/L5 that is 3mm and I feel it but it is nothing compared to the right leg pain from the other one.

No, I'm not doing anything exercise wise b/c my GP told me not to do anything, and the surgeon said "take it easy, very easy", I don't even know what this means. All these doctors talk in terms like lawyers or something, if you ask a direct question like "can I play tennis", you get an answer like "at a different intensity level", it is frustrating. I'm scared to push through anything for fear of doing more damage, but on the other side of the coin everything I read says you need to be exercising

<Removed by administrator - disallowed website>

Should I just do exercises and push through pain? Should I take a pill and then do the exercises? I can't seem to get a straight answer from doctors, but all I know is it seems like doing nothing doesn't help either.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
If you can go without pain medication, then definitely do it. Is your problem a herniated disc? Are you doing exercises that stretch the piriformis muscle?

I am not a doctor obviously, but what you are describing sounds a lot like that...
Yes, I have a herniated disc at L5/S1 of 5mm that is causing the pain, I also have a smaller one at L4/L5 that is 3mm and I feel it but it is nothing compared to the right leg pain from the other one.

No, I'm not doing anything exercise wise b/c my GP told me not to do anything, and the surgeon said "take it easy, very easy", I don't even know what this means. All these doctors talk in terms like lawyers or something, if you ask a direct question like "can I play tennis", you get an answer like "at a different intensity level", it is frustrating. I'm scared to push through anything for fear of doing more damage, but on the other side of the coin everything I read says you need to be exercising.

Should I just do exercises and push through pain? Should I take a pill and then do the exercises? I can't seem to get a straight answer from doctors, but all I know is it seems like doing nothing doesn't help either.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
(female)

I surely cannot tell you what to do, but I can say what I would do if I were in your situation, and actually, you have the same herniations that I have...and almost the same size. My L5/S1 is 7mm.

I would go back and try to get straight answers. I would also ask for a prescription for physical therapy (unless you already have one.) This is what I would do. Lots of times herniations can heal on their own. I actually have a buldging disc on the right, that by the MRI reading should be causing me pain down that leg...but it does not. And the whole point of injections is to adress the inflammation so you can actually do the therapy exercises that help you get your mobility back.

Generally...a good physical therapist will guide you in the types of exercises you should do and if they hurt....or cause pain down the leg, then you stop. I have learned to be an advocate for myself as I think a lot of people on this board have. You might even consider a second opinion with another doctor....

This is my best advice. You should not have to feel totally confused ....in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
(male)

cfii HB User

Thanks, I have an appointment next week to talk about how the shot did and the possibility of the micro disectomy surgery. We will discuss other options like PT/Exercise and I will try to get a straight answer. I also (anticipating this type of thing) have another appointment for a second opinion with another orthopedic spine surgeon in a couple weeks.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
(female)

Very good....that is smart. I too, even though I don't want to...will have a consultation with a surgeon....as I do want to hear what he has to say. I hope to never have to see him again.

In the meantime...listen to your body. Do what you can. Try a few exercises and if they increase your pain ...stop. Walk a little and try to increase a little at a time.

I guess I just happened to be online when you were....I'm sure others will respond to you. This board is very helpful....and surely, when you get good results, come back and post those as well. We all need to hear about postive results!!! Good luck and hang in there...even when it is hard...and I do know how hard it is. :-)

Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #29
(male)

cfii HB User

Yes, I am hopeful, my surgeon said if the shots didn't work, not to worry, "we will get it fixed". I do think he is an honest and good doc, and he said the microdisectomy was a 45 minute deal and as easy as it gets surgery wise and that it is 95%+ effective. I guess I just don't see why that should be the LAST option when it is that successful?? I understand that any surgery has risks, but this is Minimally Invasive and has a very short recovery time from my understanding. What I keep hearing is once you do it your disc is always going to be compromised, but what I don't understand is once you get a rupture like we have it is always compromised too so what is the difference????

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
(female)

Well..that's kind of the whole point in my opinion. I have always heard that it is as least 6 weeks of recovery for most people...although you could be different. Some longer, others not so long. And there is always a risk of reherniation in everything I have read, just as there is if you do not have surgery. So...it is not a fix-all. Bottom line, once you have a disc that causes you trouble, you may have to make adjustments for a long time. I guess in my head, I would prefer to avoid surgery if I can. I have however, been to the point that I questioned if I could...but I have gotten better since then.

You're 20 years younger than I am, and I expect that could make a difference in your recovery time as well.

You might make a list of your questions so you don't forget to ask anything, I find that always helps me.

Sometimes it's just a difference in people. Lots of people have surgery and do just fine and they wouldn't have it any other way. Others...avoid it if at all possible. My doctor was pushing me toward surgery earlier in the year and I said no...not until we tried the 3rd injection and PT. I got 95% better. But...I reinjured a few months later...and so thus another injection and PT. I hope this will be the end of it for awhile. :-)

Last edited by Calin; 10-26-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: One more thought...

The Following User Says Thank You to Calin For This Useful Post:
Bigmamaree (10-28-2012)
Closed Thread