It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
(male)

cfii HB User
Re: Disc Protrusion L5/S1

So you re-injured it huh? Do you mind me asking how? I only ask to find out if you actually did something you shouldn't have done and recognize that, or it just did it on its own. So you got 3 injections and PT and got almost all the way better, that is encouraging! Did you get any relief after just the first shot?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

First shot this time around did not help. (in previous years it had; I was great for 5 years!) Yes...I know exactly what happened, each and every time. In Dec. I carried a backpack on my back properly, that was likley just too heavy and I reinjured the L5/S1 (from 5 years ago). I was also working about 70 hours a week and stressed to the max and wasn't in the best of shape. Once I got better....I actually also know what happened. It's ok..you can laugh; I do so I don't cry about it!...I was startled by a field mouse that had built a nest in my grill....I jumped back and twisted away from it and proceeded to then trip over a lounge chair as well. That quick twisting I'm certain was the culprit. It was just an accident. So this time, I'm trying to make sure I get my core really strong, in hopes that it can tolerate more so something like that won't happen as easily.

Are you able to identify what happened to you? Usually we can...but not always. My first time...I had no idea....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
(male)

adopastos HB User

Hello Calin and cfiiman,
My problem as I mentioned before is 8mm herniated disc with more or less the same symptoms as yours. I am 50 and I got injured by lifting a back bending and rolling on the side.
What I have realized by visiting a surgeon orthopedic, a neurosurgeon, a neurologist, and a physiotherapist is that whatever method you follow it will take time.
PATIENCE is the key factor. I strongly agree with Calin that microdisectomy is not an option for me due to many reasons. If you make a little search you will see that is not 95%+ effective.
The surgery has various risks so I do not want to take this path.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
(female)

I have to say I am right there with you on this cfiiman. As long as I can have a life that resembles something of what I have known, which includes working...then I will avoid surgery too.

I do think it is a very personal decision though....

Last edited by Calin; 10-26-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: PATIENCE...yes....agree.

The following user gives a hug of support to Calin:
adopastos (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
First shot this time around did not help. (in previous years it had; I was great for 5 years!) Yes...I know exactly what happened, each and every time. In Dec. I carried a backpack on my back properly, that was likley just too heavy and I reinjured the L5/S1 (from 5 years ago). I was also working about 70 hours a week and stressed to the max and wasn't in the best of shape. Once I got better....I actually also know what happened. It's ok..you can laugh; I do so I don't cry about it!...I was startled by a field mouse that had built a nest in my grill....I jumped back and twisted away from it and proceeded to then trip over a lounge chair as well. That quick twisting I'm certain was the culprit. It was just an accident. So this time, I'm trying to make sure I get my core really strong, in hopes that it can tolerate more so something like that won't happen as easily.

Are you able to identify what happened to you? Usually we can...but not always. My first time...I had no idea....
Calin, thank you for that, I did actually laugh out loud and that felt good as I have not done that in a while since all this happened. I can't identify exactly what happened, but I've been pretty hard on myself. I had a horrible motorcycle accident about 12 years ago so who knows if that contributed. I lift very heavy things the wrong way on occation so i'm sure that contributed as well. The weird thing about all this happening is I was not really doing anything strenuous other then just bending over for a good period of time working on something out in the garage, guess it just had enough, I don't know. I started some small stretches and exercises this afternoon, very light and it felt good. Also I think the shot may be kicking in after 48 hours now, b/c I was able to walk my dog down the block at a normal pace, but this time with very little pain instead of a lot of pain and very slow pace. There was no noticeable pain in my leg which is a 180* change. I'm still going to take it slow b/c I want this shot to have its best shot at working, but I feel like I need to be strengthening while I feel better.

Calin, the first shot you got ever, was that all you got when you were good for 5 years or did you have multiple ones to go 5 years? Did you do anything in those 5 years, like PT or just got the shot and went on business as usual? I've very interested to know, thanks!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
(female)

It's ok that you laughed...because hey....I can't change it! Sometimes the injections do take a few days to kick in. Mine have been like that. I even got a little worse....so don't frett if that happens, as it will likely then go the other way. Stay positive. The fact that you were able to walk further and all is ALL good!

Originally...I had one injection and went to PT. But a few months later I was moving, and I leaned over and picked up a box....I knew it the moment it happened. I had another injection a couple of months later when it didn't work itself out, went to PT again and got better...and that was when I was good for 5 years.

The thing I did NOT do was keep up with the exercises I learned at the time. I was still ok though for all those years, with the exception of lower backache when doing certain things like working too long in the yard, etc. Lots of reaching and stretching and leaning over likely over time did not help it out any. So...I really do believe it is important to do the exercises once you are better...a couple times a week even. Keep your core strong. This is what they tell me at PT anyway....strong core...and your back can take a little more and won't re-injure as easily. Or even if you just feel tightness, etc....do the exercises...some stretches, etc. And also walking...you already do that so that's good.

I think things are looking up for you!! Based on my experience, I would even say try a second injection if you need to. If one is working at least some...as long as they are helping another may do the trick especially combined with PT. Ask about that when you go to the doctor...to see if that's a possibility but do give this one time to work. My gut feel is he/she may say try PT for about 4 weeks or so and see if you continue to improve. I bet you will...and I hope so!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #37
(male)

cfii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
It's ok that you laughed...because hey....I can't change it! Sometimes the injections do take a few days to kick in. Mine have been like that. I even got a little worse....so don't frett if that happens, as it will likely then go the other way. Stay positive. The fact that you were able to walk further and all is ALL good!

Originally...I had one injection and went to PT. But a few months later I was moving, and I leaned over and picked up a box....I knew it the moment it happened. I had another injection a couple of months later when it didn't work itself out, went to PT again and got better...and that was when I was good for 5 years.

The thing I did NOT do was keep up with the exercises I learned at the time. I was still ok though for all those years, with the exception of lower backache when doing certain things like working too long in the yard, etc. Lots of reaching and stretching and leaning over likely over time did not help it out any. So...I really do believe it is important to do the exercises once you are better...a couple times a week even. Keep your core strong. This is what they tell me at PT anyway....strong core...and your back can take a little more and won't re-injure as easily. Or even if you just feel tightness, etc....do the exercises...some stretches, etc. And also walking...you already do that so that's good.

I think things are looking up for you!! Based on my experience, I would even say try a second injection if you need to. If one is working at least some...as long as they are helping another may do the trick especially combined with PT. Ask about that when you go to the doctor...to see if that's a possibility but do give this one time to work. My gut feel is he/she may say try PT for about 4 weeks or so and see if you continue to improve. I bet you will...and I hope so!
Calin,

Thanks so much for all your help, it sounds like PT is the thing I need to be doing so I will have that started next week! I just took one more walk just now with my wife and dog to the same spot down the street, this time even a faster pace and all was fine, this is very out of character. I haven't been able to do that for months pain free (relatively) so I'm thinking the shot is definitely doing something hopefully, but I guess only time will tell how long. I guess for this reason it is ultra important to get into PT asap. I am praying that this holds and I can get my life back some, I'm willing to do the work of PT for the rest of my life if I have too, I just don't want to live like this. I just never knew how much you take something as simple as walking for granted when you can't do it. I hope you recover completely as well, sounds like you are an old pro at this though so that's good. I'll report back over the weekend, I'm going to try to go just a little farther tomorrow if I wake up and can still walk down the block at a normal pace. Talk with you soon.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
(female)

Sounds good; take it one day at a time. Boy...I really don't like being a pro at this...:-) But, I have endured a lot...although not as much as others on this board likely. I've also read everything I can find, and that helps me too. The last...almost a year now...has been a lot of pain, but I'm staying hopeful too.

I'll look forward to your update.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #39
(male)

adopastos HB User

Hi Calin,
Have tried also the healthy diet? e.g. such as olive oil, raw spinach, broccoli, carrots, salmon, dry almonds, etc
Also avoiding a lot of wheat, dairy products, sugar and soy.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #40
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

If you can fo all the things such as take care of yourself, light housework, work. Leave your back alone! There are millions of back patients in this country. I have seen hundreds of back patients over my 30 years of constant pain & hsve met a handful that had surgery & never had any more problems! Look at this site. The back prob, spinal cord issues, pain management boards are all filled with thousands of post back surgery patients living in multiple formsvof disability! Dont be sgraid of deep tendon release massage if your problem seems to be muscular. Take it from me, Please,, Do Not let anyone open your back. The condition i have is caused100% by medical actions & no one was negligent! See adhesive arachnoiditis, one dr said that an intact, uninvaded central nervius system is the most precious, fragile, important part of our bodies. It is self sufficient. Once opening, it is never self sufficient again. This is just my opinion after 4 back surgeries that started just like your situation. 30 years of dr visits every 6 weeks, now every month, narcotics, back injections, PT over100 times, even a bowel diseasethst was induced by back medicine(NSAIDS).NO! NO! NO! Seriously, talkto people on these boards. Ask God even. There are TENS units, chiro, massages, aqua therapy, PT, ice, heat, exercise, walking that will fix this. My son had a bulging disc & it went away. Went back in place confirmed by MRI all by itself. The body is an amazing creation! Leave it alone. I know im harping but i dont want anyone to end up like me. Thank you, gmak

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
Calin (10-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
adopastos (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #41
(male)

adopastos HB User

Thanks gmak for your post, that is the spirit we would like to give in this forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to adopastos For This Useful Post:
gmak (10-29-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #42
(female)

Hi adopostos....I do eat most of those things, although I likely do not eat enough salmon. I do also eat a lot of whole grains, including wheat. But I have wondered about this. You avoid it, and...why?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #43
(male)

adopastos HB User

Hi Calin,
to tell the true i cannot myself avoid completely the wheat. I have found all that from the internet related to pain management. Also sugar, coffee and alcohol are prohibited when there is pain and infection in the nerve (That’s what the experts are saying).

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
(male)

adopastos HB User

Hi Calin,
Also do not forget the STRESS management, something I believe, very difficult for all of us.

Last edited by adopastos; 10-28-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #45
(female)

wow...with all the research I do, I have not read all of that. Some of my favorite things on the list. I will investigate this further. Thank you!

Closed Thread