It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #61
(male)

adopastos HB User
Re: Disc Protrusion L5/S1

Hi cfiima, as Calin said is really good news. I hope everything to go well.
I am in the end of PT sessions, yesterday i have done the 8th so i have another 2. My feeling is that the healing of my disc protrusion is going well..slow but Steady .So i am not complaining.
In my case it took almost 2 1/2 mmonths to see positive results because i started without PT, taking only pills antiflamentiry and pain killers.
I saw positive results with Mckenzie's exercises especially the extensions.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #62
(male)

adopastos HB User

Well, how are my friends are feeling today?
I have to admit that during the weekend, as i was feeling much better, i started the exercises, but it seems i have overdo it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #63
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

adopastos....so nice for you to check in. I do think sometimes we can overdo exercise in the constant need and desire to feel better. Take care on that; maybe let it go for one day.

I'm...trying to hang in there and not feel depressed. I saw a surgeon for consultation and just information, and I came away with even more questions and concerns. My recent movement, which I thought was protecting my back but caused such a terrible low back pull/stretch....has set me back at least 2 weeks in my progress. I'm always the "positive one"....going to beat this without surgery message....but I am frightened to consider it and almost frightened at not having it, given some of the things he said to me. I think I need another opinion, and then also just see how I feel in the next week. The numbness in my leg and foot is concerning.

I'm going to try not to think about it for a day....HAHA....if I can do that. Tuning in to the Presidential election here in the states. That's making me nervous too! I'm praying on lots of things....including that we all continue to heal.

I'll check in soon.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #64
(male)

adopastos HB User

Hi Calin, I hope you feel better today and everything to go well.
I will add only some tips that in my case worked out well. No alcohol, No coffee. Then very healthy diet without toxins. Also half an hour walking every morning
The newest thing in my physiotherapy is the very dedicated massage , which offers pain relief.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #65
(male)

adopastos HB User

Any news everybody?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #66
(female)

HI!! How are you doing adopastos?

I'm STILL hanging in there...exercising every day and making very slow progress. I'm seeing an Egoscue Therapist. I think these exercises are helping. You can google Pete Egoscue and/or the book Pain Free, a Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain, to read about it if you are not familiar.

I am also doing some home traction and McKenzie exercises. I see the doctor again in mid-Dec. I can have another injection in early January if needed.

I'm going back to work part time, so have to get a little better yet in order to be able to do that. How about you??

Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #67
(female)

AndreaS84 HB User

Not to disregard your personal experiences/pain, but I think it isn't that beneficial to hold out as long as possible. Most of the reserach I've done on MICRO D say the best outcomes come from patients who wait less than 6 months to get it done. If you waite longer than that you risk definite nerve damage that might or might not be reversible.

On the other hand if you've gone and done all the conservative treatments and your quality of life sucks you really don't have too much to lose with surgery, if all of your other risks are controlled for as best as possible.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #68
(female)

Hello AndreaS84,

I appreciate your thoughts. I've burried my head in research as well. The surgeon I saw recommended another injection, since they have helped me to this point. I just can't have another until January. I was pain free for 5 years, so my issue started now six years ago, and I can't change that. I do think as long as I'm seeing progress that surgery should be a last option. I haven't thrown it out completely, but it doesn't always make us better, and the surgeon was fairly blunt about that. So, it seems reasonable to keep doing conservative measures for right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Calin For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #69
(female)

AndreaS84 HB User

Well I have to agree if it's given you five good years that's saying A lot! I wish you continued success!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #70
(female)

AndreaS84 HB User

Well I have to agree if it's given you five good years that's saying A lot! I wish you continued success!
When I typed that I was probably more referencing my own decision to go through with a micro d. Currently only managing barely with hydrocodone. PT did t do much and I want to get off meds as I'm pregnant.
I dont plan on never doing PT at this point IMO its required for better outcomes post surgery!

12 mm l5/s1 with two smaller (8mm) l3-l4

Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #71
(female)

Yes...5 years until last Dec. I've had 4 injections since then and it's been the worst bout I have ever had; I would get better and then reinjure, and that concerned me as well regarding surgery, since reinjury is possible. Thus why I am doing the Egoscue therapy to try to address postural and muscle imbalances, hoping this will help in the long term.

:-)

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #72
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaS84 View Post
When I typed that I was probably more referencing my own decision to go through with a micro d. Currently only managing barely with hydrocodone. PT did t do much and I want to get off meds as I'm pregnant.
I dont plan on never doing PT at this point IMO its required for better outcomes post surgery!

12 mm l5/s1 with two smaller (8mm) l3-l4
Andrea....I have the same L5/S1 herniation, and I also have other bulges, and the MRI says I have one on the right that should be causing pain...impinging the nerve, but I have no pain on that side.

When did you have your Micro Discectomy? I too take Hydrocodone and 800mg Ibuprofen, but I try to take as little hydrocodone as possible.

Once you are fully healed, you might want to read about the Egoscue method. You can do it after surgery, and also while pregnant. I too hope you can get off the meds during your pregnancy. I hope your surgery will be successful for the long term. :-)

Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #73
(female)

AndreaS84 HB User

I agree with you,; the therapy which will help straighten out fascia and muscle imbalances sounds like a good approach. I've been into researching a little bit about myofacial release techniques etc...man I would kill for a good massage.

I have not had the surgery as yet but believe it will take place next week, or the week after next! I'll know for sure Monday. I went for the final appt at the neurosurgeon wednesday and he wanted to the final OK from my OB, that came back in but ..of course doctors don't work Friday!

So far my only attempts at massage have been after taking some meds rolling on a tennish ball (my left glute and hip).

my pain is soley in my left leg, radiates from back to butt, then skips to the calf and the top of my foot.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
(female)

AndreaS84 HB User

speaking of rehab of posture and daily movements etc, I recently found out about this guy, he's a professor of spine bio-mechanics and has helped athletes get back to what they do after spine surgery's etc. I plan on buying this book and reading up.
Prior to this herniation issue I was quite the gym rat...I think that combined w/ genetics and once being 100 lbs overweight led to my spine issues.

checking out the egoscue method now! thanks for the info.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-07-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #75
(female)

Ditto...same side, although add numbness for me. I hope you will post your progress here. Good results help a lot of people. My best to you Andrea!!!

Closed Thread