It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Fentanyl Withdrawal/Pain Pump-Removal

[QUOTE=lginfl;5090012]Funny you said: I should write that down, because I did!!! Great minds…Which brings me to a question I have for you. My MRI states that at the L3 level (where last surgery was) suggests the sequela of CSF leak and/or post surgical seroma. A track does extend from the superficial collection toward the spinal canal. (which is where my swelling is in my back-at the incision & to the right) The Impression says: there's a moderate to large fluid filled focus at the L3 level representing the sequela of CSF leak although no direct intrathecal communication is appreciated as detailed above. Then it says Abscess is felt less likely/but cannot be ruled out. Correlation with patient history. Being that you have been thru this what do you make of it???? Please shoot it straight if you have any info. I'm totally freaking out & don't have an appt. until Dec. 5 with the new neuro.

Hi igingl, see above for content that remains ok? First, if abscess, do you have fever, is area near incision to the r spot hot to the touch, any drainage, painful like sore over swollen area not incision? I did see an xray in aldrete article about aa that showed a large pocket of CSF that was scarred away from spinal canal. It looked like a white, round ,white on the film(csf looks white on mri) to the side of meninges, like in epidural space. Seroma is like a fluid filled mass, i think. Imho, dr needs to put needle in thru your skin into superficial collection of fluid & send what is drawn off to lab for identification. Like serous fluid, csf, blood, & culture to see if abscess sterile or acscess infected & if infected with what bacteria. Imho,i would call old dr for this or call new dr say probable abscess & you need emergency appt. You know like i know its probably csf but to get in sooner because if abcsess you cant eait. See next reply ... time!

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi iginfl, Also, you could post your mri , titled something new that is urgent now like mri results show.... ? Then everyone could help you understand the results better in normal language instead of sequelae To me sequalae means the result of or associated with or what you have left over after surgery. Like say you had an abcsess, post op laminectomy. Mri tesults could possibly say fluid filled pocket adjacent to lumbar laminectomy @ level L4- L5. Thought to be sequalae of lumbar lam with possible abcess formation. See patient status means are you running fever, is wbc count high indicating an infection. You could possibly use a cbc right now anyway right? Later, goto go now

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
(female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User

It's definitely not infected. I've had home health care seeing me for the last two weeks. It's not hot, or red. Also my mom is a retired nurse and she is at the same conclusion. It does look white on MRI. Before my last surgery to fix the leak, my neuro did drain the fluid in his office. I was driving back to the east coast of FL (separated & staying at my moms), I only made it 25 miles and had to turn around because my back filled up with the same amount of fluid (pre-drain) on the same day within an hour. Had surgery the next day. He used Tisseal and Duraseal to fix the leak. So you do think its a leak???
We need to find another way to chat…any ideas???? Lori

Last edited by lginfl; 11-16-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added comment

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

See next post please!hat did dr say after the sutgery to repair leak? Seems like if it is Definitely not communicating tith thecal sac,then it should be absorbed by your body eventually & day by day getting smaller. If not getting smaller by your visualization then it needs the exact size noted on mri. Then do another mri( or any test) where the sizes can be compared precisely (i.e.32mm long, 4mm depth, 18 mm wide). If not changing sizes then the instructions on the reason for mri or( xray,ct if they will show it in exact measurements)should be measure it, & check emphatically on is or is it not communicated with thecal sac. I dont know about what he fixed it with. As i see it, 1. Did dr fix leak & thats leftover fluid that will be absorbed? 2. It is still leaking & incision healed & it has no where to go but path of least
resistance 3. Question for NS BEFORE dec, if it is a communicated leak, then the amount or volume stays the same because your csf pressure is controlled by arachnoid membrane ducts & this has now become part of yoir regular csf system & the amount stays the same. 4. Since the fluid @ this time is considered not communicated with thecal sac, if that changes OR if this pocket wall breaks thru to your bowel,just say, then the fluid can become contaminated by bacteria & it will go to brain? Is this a possibility? So, first what did operating NS say about this fluid when he saw it today? Did you tell new NS about this & i know you dropped copy of mri @ new NStoday, call them with all the above & get info on what to do? I just dont want you to become an emergency. Do i know if thats even a possibility, no.

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: duplicate but not checked for typos

Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Facilitator
(female)

What did dr say after the surgery to repair leak? Seems like if it is Definitely not communicating with thecal sac,then it should be absorbed by your body eventually & day by day getting smaller. If not getting smaller by your visualization then it needs the exact size noted on mri. Then do another mri( or any test) where the sizes can be compared precisely (i.e.32mm long, 4mm depth, 18 mm wide). If not changing sizes then the instructions on the reason for mri or( xray,ct if they will show it in exact
measurements)should be measure it, & check emphatically on is or is it not communicated with thecal sac. I dont know about what he fixed it with. As i see it, 1. Did dr fix leak & thats leftover fluid that will be absorbed? 2. It is still leaking & incision healed & it has no where to go but path of least
resistance 3. Question for NS BEFORE dec, if it is a communicated leak, then the amount or volume stays the same because your csf pressure is controlled by arachnoid membrane ducts & this has now become part of your regular csf system & the amount stays the same. 4. Since the fluid @ this time is considered not communicated with thecal sac, if that changes OR if this pocket wall breaks thru to your bowel,just say, then the fluid can become contaminated by bacteria & it will go to brain? Is this a possibility? So, first what did operating NS say about this fluid when he saw it today? Did you tell new NS about this & i know you dropped copy of mri @ new NStoday, call them with all the above & get info on what to do? I just dont want you to become an emergency. Do i know if thats even a possibility,
no.i agree but cant be posted @ all.check usercpsettings.

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Facilitator
(female)

Iginfl, believe me i wish it could be accomplished.check all the settings from when you registered. Blocked. I tried. So, i re read and do you think its weird on your mri that it says theres a track to your spinal canal, then it says its not connected? Does that mean you had a leak & they could see the track where the csf went to the area & now its repairedand its no longer connected. If thats the case it sounds to me like the mushy spot should go down. Be absorbed. But if its not i think you do still have a leak,imho. Agree or ps no? Hope you will let me know. It will be ok. What does old dr say?

P.s. i saw your post about the soldier & games. Keep posting then you will get rewards to accomplish what you talked about earlier. Wanted to tell you i have to suck into really intricate movies,explained in detail on my mri thread. Hope all ok since i havent heard in awhile. Thanks, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ps

Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Facilitator
(female)

Dear iginfl, "This MORNING I really, really looked into your MRI report. Imho the mentioned sequela, a consequence of the CSF leak,caused by the CSF leak, and left over by the CSF leak and needs to be checked to see if it is an abcsess, by looking at how your doing currently, which is no fever but its suggesting that you be checked for an abcess by culturing fluid out of left over consequence, the superficial pocket & it seems like the radiologist with the word sequela is suggesting it is left over, left behind after surgery to repair the leak. Of course, i would get a neurosurgeon to look & see if continuing to leak. Yes, communication possible when you get/or fix your capability to exchange info with me but not on the threads or board. Ok?Keep posting because your absence from the board is worrisome @ this point considering the urgency of your condition. I hope and pray that all is stable for now! I know how it feels to go thru this & it freaks me out too, but i really do think that report means left over, imo. So sorry, but it will be ok, it HAS to! Right, friend? gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-17-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: reword

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
(female)

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. So you're saying that this could be just leftover fluid from the surgery and nothing more??? I hope that's what you're saying. I'm not good at some of the "shorthand" you put in like "Imho", what does that stand for??? My neuro that did the surgery should get the MRI films I sent him by Monday or Tuesday. I don't see the neuro here until Dec. 5. I should at least know something by early next week. Still hanging in & praying this isn't a leak!!! God I hope you're right!!! Thanks for being such a dear friend! God Bless You!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Iginfl, Im so glad to see you! And that you are ok & not in hospital! I kept hoping & praying that you did the church, out to eat, nap thing yesterday. Then, I would think "no way" she has a bulge in her back! Imho, is in my honest opinion. Im not a dr, only friend here. I just read the mri report over and over and i thought that the radiologist was saying it appeared leftover, then gave warning to the DR, not to you, that he thought that you needed to be checked for an abcess. Like we talked about, cbc, lab analysis on fluid, culture & what the dr orders to check for infection. He will get report late so i think that you should call the office & leave message or possibly talk to dr to tell exactly how you are now & want to know yesterday what he wants you to do. If it were me i would "hold his feet to the fire" persay! B/ c waiting until dec 5 is crazy. Imho. I know that you are sick, hurting, csf leak is scary & you are sooooo sick of drs & surgeries. And, you shouldnt have to figure this out by your self!! Btw,i had to lay flat after repair surgery for 4 weeks until patch healed on, b/c of pressure in canal goes up when you raise your head higher than your low back & could make a leak again. Did you have to do that? We just pray & have faith that this would be over for you now. Take care & know im checking for
your posts often. Wish i could help more. Thank you,gmak

Last edited by moderator2; 11-18-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typos

Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
(female)

Like I said, the Dr. that did the surgery is on the east coast of FL. in Melbourne. I'm staying on the west coast now. I went to him because he did my fusion and repaired the first leak (after the pump went in) He should have the films in a day or two. Yes, I was in the hospital 4 days, laying flat & couldn't raise my bed more than 30%. That was the worse and the beds were so uncomfortable. I'm not all that worried about an abscess. No symptoms. My pain Dr. doesn't see this as an emergency situation,either. Go to physical therapy once this week (holiday) and have another ultrasound therapy done. How are you feeling??? When are you going to get any word on your confusing MRI???
Take Care!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginfl View Post
Like I said, the Dr. that did the surgery is on the east coast of FL. in Melbourne. I'm staying on the west coast now. I went to him because he did my fusion and repaired the first leak (after the pump went in) He should have the films in a day or two. Yes, I was in the hospital 4 days, laying flat & couldn't raise my bed more than 30%. That was the worse and the beds were so uncomfortable. I'm not all that worried about an abscess. No symptoms. My pain Dr. doesn't see this as an emergency situation,either. Go to physical therapy once this week (holiday) and have another ultrasound therapy done. How are you feeling??? When are you going to get any word on your confusing MRI???
Take Care!!!!
Hi iginfl, Im so sorry i got confused about the drs! Duh! I wrote long post, lost it! Tried. Nope still. Didnt realize that those crazy posts from me were hinting, sorry. So, now that i have that straight glad pm dr agrees its not emergent. Still praying however, a bond of the
'Leak sisters" has been established so it can be over now for you like it was for me! Im so glad that you can be up & around now. I did the lay flat thing for 2 mths, three times! Anyway, i will keep trying & you try too. Ttys, gmak

Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
(female)

Hi gmak!! I got a call today from my neurosurgeon that repaired the leak. He said, once again, that it could resolve itself. But it IS in fact a leak. He suggested getting a blood patch from my previous pain mgmt doc (which I no longer see) So, once again NO REAL ANSWER!!! He did say that he would NOT recommend surgical intervention at this time. Which I told him there was no way I'd go there again!!! I'm still going to get the neuro (that I have an appt to see) here, his opinion. So, I've put off physical therapy, as it won't help until the lump is gone. Still after all this & no answers. Well I guess that why they call them "Practicing Physicians". Who knows, I'm so sick of this I could scream. But I gotta remain positive. How are you doing? Any advancement on your predicament??? Take Care!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginfl View Post
Hi gmak!! I got a call today from my neurosurgeon that repaired the leak. He said, once again, that it could resolve itself. But it IS in fact a leak. He suggested getting a blood patch from my previous pain mgmt doc (which I no longer see) So, once again NO REAL ANSWER!!! He did say that he would NOT recommend surgical intervention at this time. Which I told him there was no way I'd go there again!!! I'm still going to get the neuro (that I have an appt to see) here, his opinion. So, I've put off physical therapy, as it won't help until the lump is gone. Still after all this & no answers. Well I guess that why they call them "Practicing Physicians". Who knows, I'm so sick of this I could scream. But I gotta remain positive. How are you doing? Any advancement on your predicament??? Take Care!!!
Hi iginfl, Im going to see the 2nd NS i saw in june again. His office called me friday. Just going to see if aa too bad he cant fix other things like tethered cord, & @ least get an opinion about the many other "mysteries" on that MRI that i have no word from a dr about. Will let you know. About you, i cant believe 5 opinions & you still are waiting. Another common thread for us. From my MRI, i saw 5 drs total & still have no definitive word either! But, i dont have a bulge! That is my big hold up on any surgery, epi injs, scs or pump. Too scared of a leak. It was sooo close to" we cant fix it" it wasnt funny & scared me to death. I want a definitive word for you as well. NOT a surgery, just a definite word, its ok now. Thank you, gmak

Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
(female)

I think I may have confused you, I haven't had 5 opinions. I'm only one month and a day post-op from my CSF surgery. I've been to PM who ordered the MRI & blood tests, he's not equipped to handle a leak. He referred me to a local neuro. (Dec. 5) is soonest they could see me. My neurosurgeon called me today (he received the films I sent to him) and that was his conclusion: it is a small leak that could heal on it's own but he mentioned a blood patch a couple times. (after my first surgery, I was suspicious of a leak and asked him "if this is a leak, could you do a blood patch? His response then was "No, those things don't work." Ergo…utter freaking confusion!!!! He's contradicting himself!!! It's unfortunate where I live, you just don't have "Ivy League" docs around here!!! That's for sure!!! Don't you just want to punch them in the face sometimes??? Especially when you call them on their own mistakes!!!

I'm angry and rightly so. I am very glad to hear that you may have some answers and soon, thank God!!!! Go to pm, I figured out what went wrong!!! TTYS!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Facilitator
(female)

Dearlginfl, yes, i get your frustration to the maximum power! When i found out about aa & that the NS i loved,& never told me i had aa, betrayed me, i felt like you do now. One thing that saved me recently was his voice saying "You can never have surgery again" though, when the pm/ anes types coersively trying to do epi injs, have scs or pump to fill their cash box b/c they wanted big bucks to stick their necks out & give me a 150mg less morphine a day than i was on previously & for this inadequate amount they wanted "moolah" & didnt care if their actions made me paralyzed or have more pain.. So, i go running & get old dr from harvard back! So, did my frustration leave, no.

Am i still royally messed up, yes! Im just so grateful to be away from those leeches! Man o man i hear you. When i leaked if my NS wouldnt have been precise in decisions, i would have flipped out! Wow, this makes me mad! Point is, even after all the leaks between us do you know the answer? DID the surgeon cause the leaks or is it something our bodies did?? I really do not know the answer to that question & i want to know. Dont you? Ok enough. Thank you for updating me & i think this may be my biggest rant on hb! Forgive me everyone. Thank you, gmak

Last edited by Administrator; 11-19-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Reply Reply