It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
My dr of 12 yrs left to do hospital only.

My dr of 12 yrs left to do hospital only. So, new PM. 1st one a fiasco. Lied to me 6 times in 15 min. Next day saw 2nd PM, had to sign contract before entering. Saw him so freaked from day before. Didnt look @mri. Exam 50 secs. Set up SI injs to be put to sleep, ordered new TENS even tho I told him i had 4, he tox screened me $2500 out of network so i owe $2475. Next visit, set up esi's, told me that he didnt know what he was thinking & my meds would be lowered.Then says 2week supply. & when i come back for follow up i have to get spinal stim or go off all opioids for 6 weeks & then get morphine pump. Didnt even ask how i was, check me, nothing! Just come back & tell me which surgery you have decided on. I have arachnoiditis, so epidural inj's & surgeries are not ok, by 3 NS advice.
So, i call old dr, and mention surgeries he freaks & takes me back as his only pain patient. So, now i have half my meds from PM & half from old dr. I have to write a letter to the PM & tell him this some way.I don't know what to say. Help. Advice needed.Scared!
I have never broken a contract or taken my meds wrong ever & now I'm afraid i look like double dr using. I went back to old dr only. He changed msir to avinza & told me not to take msir. I haven't, but the pharmacy doesnt have these details. Help anyone. Im so scared. Appreciate any help, advice, comments greatly. Thank you

Last edited by gmak; 11-03-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typing errors

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
mszach (11-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User
Re: My dr of 12 yrs left to do hospital only.

If your old doctor took you back as his only pain patient, he obviously knows more about you than this dude who wants to put you under the knife does.

Just keep going to your old doc, the one who took you back, and don't worry about Dr. Cuts A Lot. Your pharmacy doesn't need to know everything.

Bring the unused MSIR to the doctor you'll be continuing care with. He'll dispose of it properly, and know you're not misusing. The doctor(s) you're not using anymore are none of your concern...because you won't be going back there. They can't do anything to hurt you, even if you signed a contract (which is not a legal contract and you don't do anything specific to "get out of it" other than not going back to that doctor again).

You're dealing with a transition in care, not doctor shopping.

The Following User Says Thank You to Odesse For This Useful Post:
gmak (11-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Gmak,
Just to be safe, I would send a certified letter to the newer PM doctor ( dr. cutsalot as Od referred to him as) and just tell him that you have decided not to go ahead with injections and surgery since it is contraindicated in your case and that you are seeking care elsewhere........in fact, you don't really need to provide an explanation, just that you are terminating care with their practice. Thank them for their time and sign it......
Then continue on with the old PM doctor. As long as you don't try to fill any prescriptions from dr.cutsalot then you are good to go, but I would let the pharmacist know that you are returning to your old doctor and not continuing care with the newer one. while many feel that the pharmacist has no business knowing what's going on, simply advising them that you are returning to your old PM doctor keeps them included in the care you are getting and lets them know why they saw a prescription from dr cuts alot and now ongoing scripts from the old PM......and that might help to prevent problems or questions later....
Back

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
gmak (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Gmak,
Just to be safe, I would send a certified letter to the newer PM doctor ( dr. cutsalot as Od referred to him as) and just tell him that you have decided not to go ahead with injections and surgery since it is contraindicated in your case and that you are seeking care elsewhere........in fact, you don't really need to provide an explanation, just that you are terminating care with their practice. Thank them for their time and sign it......
Then continue on with the old PM doctor. As long as you don't try to fill any prescriptions from dr.cutsalot then you are good to go, but I would let the pharmacist know that you are returning to your old doctor and not continuing care with the newer one. while many feel that the pharmacist has no business knowing what's going on, simply advising them that you are returning to your old PM doctor keeps them included in the care you are getting and lets them know why they saw a prescription from dr cuts alot and now ongoing scripts from the old PM......and that might help to prevent problems or questions later....
Back

dear backhurtz,
Thank you ever so much for helping me so much. Now, you know why i asked " love my cute dog" what i did & saw your reply. Didnt know what to do. This physiatrist was ok enough, i guess that i dont want to offend anyone. He just didnt remember about aa & didnt let me say one word to remind him. So, thank you again! We seem to be on the same threads alot, yes? See you around & i will keep you posted. May need another question answered. Know your in pain so thank you for taking time for me. Hope you're doing good now. God bless you, gmak

Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I am confused by something. You said something about a "contract." What type of contract are you referring to?
I have never ever had a contract with a doctor. If I go to a doctor and for whatever reason don't like him/her then I go to a new doctor no questions asked, I just change. I am not under any obligation to stick with a doctor if there is an issue.
Again am I missing something here?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I am confused by something. You said something about a "contract." What type of contract are you referring to?
I have never ever had a contract with a doctor. If I go to a doctor and for whatever reason don't like him/her then I go to a new doctor no questions asked, I just change. I am not under any obligation to stick with a doctor if there is an issue.
Again am I missing something here?

Hi pebble ,
No, you are not missing anything. Lately, if you go to new PM dr before you are even seen you are required to sign a pain treatment contract that states that you agree to use only that dr only for narcotics, use same pharmacy everytime, notify them if you change, wont take narcotics given by dentists, other drs, & sign your name. Because i accepted &
filled Rx's from PM doc, i was obligated by the contract i signed.So, when i went back to old dr & had his Rx filled i broke my word in writing. When you went to your new " great"
PM recently if he had given you one of these you would remember.No, biggie. Just want no trouble! Thanks for replying. Look forward to hearing about your new trial. Thanks, gmak

Old 11-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Just a few comments. First of all for the past year or so I have been seeing a "Neurologist" for the treatment of my spine pain.

He initially put me on Oxycodone and Tizanidine; Then we stopped the Tizanidine and he put me on Baclofen.

At one point I was having trouble with what "we think" was a reaction to the Oxycodone and Baclofen. It appeared that after I took my doasage I was having trouble breathing. Was it positively casued by the medications - the breathing issue? Cant say 100 %. but when I stopped the medications didnt have the breathing issues.

So I was then put on Hydrocodone and back to the Tizanidne.

The Oxycodone and Hydrocodone are both narcotics/opiates to my understanding.

You stated that you had to sign a contract stating that you would only use that one doctor for narcotics & use the same pharmacy.

As to the pharmacy all my doctors ask me what pharmacy I use and my understanding was that this way if a new script or refill was needed they had your pharmacy on file. There was no mention as to any other reason.

And as to my getting the narcotics from the Neurologist that I have been seeing for about a year, I told him what medicatios I take on a daily regular basis. He didn't ask me or require me to sign anything that I would only go thru him etc.

then this past week, I wasnt happy with my neurologist for various reasons, I decided to use a new doctor. the new doctor isnt a neurologist the new doctor is a PAIN MANAGEMENT doctor.

I stimply completed a medical package prior to the visit outlining my medical history; prior surgeryes; what medications I am on now etc.
I told him that I was treating with a neuro and was given hydrocodone.

There was no issue about well I can't see him because of a contract or getting medications only thru the neurologist.

In fact the new plan is that rather then being on hydrocodne, we decided that I should attempt to go thru the trial and see of the Intrathecal Pain Pump workes which is basically Morphine. Again with this doctor who is a Pain doctor I didn't sigh any contract with him. All I signed off on was a consent form to go ahead and schedule the Implant procedure.

Am I still missing something?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hey pebbles, Sort of. My old dr asked every patient to sign pain mgmt contract.(physiatrist) A pm/ anes i saw before dr cuts alot.But, i sent his scripts back voided, certified mail stating not requiring your services. Then, dr cuts alot in my new patient packet there was a pain mgmt contract including all i said before.Sign it or dont be seen. They use it if during urine tox screening something shows up, you reply oh yea, the dentist. You are put out the door. Also, the pharmacy thing is because they request a copy from your named pharmacy to see every med you had filled monthly. On every patient. Isotope has one he posted. Check his threads started. You, my friend have been thru horrors, buthavent seen a contract! Very lucky. Its not that you cant see your neurologist again. It is, that WHILE you are getting narcotics from me contract PM you cannot take anything anyone prescribes that is narcotic or you will not get any narcotics from me & show you the door. Is that clearer? Its as standard as monthly urine screens, collecting co-pay before you see dr, & supposed to cut down on dr shopping. Hope this helps. You are lucky that you missed it. Sorry for confusion, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: never minf

Old 11-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Pebble, the thread is called "Primary care or pain management drs" in pain mgmt board. Its not a great example but usual. Theres another one titled " how to cancel contract" by hill country 3 on pain mgmt board also. Thanks,gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: correct info& add info

Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Guess I was shocked by your issues since I have never run across it before and I have been seeing one form of doctor for spine issues since 1988. So when I heard the story I thought what are you talking about. Again Never had your issues in 24 years of treatment.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Guess I was shocked by your issues since I have never run across it before and I have been seeing one form of doctor for spine issues since 1988. So when I heard the story I thought what are you talking about. Again Never had your issues in 24 years of treatment.
I'm VERY surprised you've never heard of, much less been given a pain management narcotic contract. Since you have never been under a contract, does that mean you have never had urine screens either to check your drug levels? It is SO COMMON nowadays it surprises me there are any doctors out there that prescribe narcotics without requiring a contract. Most doctors now require a contract for anyone who takes narcotics for more than just an acute issue where only one script is written. In fact, before I was referred to my pain management doctor, my family doctor had me sign one with their office until I could get in to see another doctor. At that point I had never heard of a GP doing them, but they are doing them too.

I just wanted to say yes, they are very common to stop dr shopping and get control over rx drug addiction problems. You are very lucky to have never been under one, but I would expect one at some point in your future as most doctors who prescribe narcotics are going to them.

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

I can understand the concern and issue with narcotics and people going to different doctors and ultimately getting addicted to the narcotics. Addiction to narcotic medications is a problem and it concerned me as well.

As to a urine test. NOPE never was asked for one even from my neurologist who precscribed me the oxycodone/hydrocodone never asked for a test initially or any followup.

the only thing that was required from my pain doctor who I saw last week for the first time was a referral.
And that I got from my neurosurgeon. All that I had to do for that was I called his office and got a referral to evaluate and treat. But the pain doctor didn't have me sign any contract when I went to see him at the office visit.

So thats why Ive been confused as to when the subject of contract came up I thought what are you talking about.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
I can understand the concern and issue with narcotics and people going to different doctors and ultimately getting addicted to the narcotics. Addiction to narcotic medications is a problem and it concerned me as well.

As to a urine test. NOPE never was asked for one even from my neurologist who precscribed me the oxycodone/hydrocodone never asked for a test initially or any followup.

the only thing that was required from my pain doctor who I saw last week for the first time was a referral.
And that I got from my neurosurgeon. All that I had to do for that was I called his office and got a referral to evaluate and treat. But the pain doctor didn't have me sign any contract when I went to see him at the office visit.

So thats why Ive been confused as to when the subject of contract came up I thought what are you talking about.

Hi pebble, I ate it on a cracked driveway in the pitch black dark last nite @ the house next door to my mom trying to take a stray kitten away so it didnt get locked in moms garage. Car coming, my head went in street, eyes staring @ his wheel! 12" from tire i stopped. My head almost got smashed!lol But, today, WOW, OUCH! Husband @ stress test alone, so feel like crummy partner,30 years been there for each other thick & thin.I feel like that cat was the devil! LOL

Last edited by gmak; 11-09-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: left out word

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
Whynowthis (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hi pebble, I ate it on a cracked driveway in the pitch black dark last nite @ the house next door to my mom trying to take a stray kitten away so it didnt get locked in moms garage. Car coming, my head went in street, eyes staring @ his wheel! 12" from tire i stopped. My head almost got smashed!lol But, today, WOW, OUCH! Husband @ stress test alone, so feel like crummy partner,30 years been there for each other thick & thin.I feel like that cat was the devil! LOL
OUCH!!! Was it a black cat?? Lol! I hope you are feeling better!! Gentle hugs, and sending wishes for a low pain day!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
gmak (11-10-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
(female)

lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User

It is common practice for PM doctors to do "Pain Contracts". Especially in Florida; until the Fed's closed down all the "Pill Mills". Although it's not worth the paper it's written on!!! It's more to cover their asses; that's all. If you saw a regular PM doc for a while and was on narcotics and they even slightly are suspicious, they'll ask you to do a urine screen. I've only been asked one time at my current PM office but my old one did them regularly, WHY??? The almighty dollar bill!!!! Scumbag he was!!!
Hope that clears it up for ya!!

Reply Reply