HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arachnoiditis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arachnoiditis/)
-   -   Severe Leg Pain When Sitting/Standing post fusion (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arachnoiditis/926700-severe-leg-pain-when-sitting-standing-post-fusion.html)

StockliRacer 11-08-2012 03:28 PM

Severe Leg Pain When Sitting/Standing post fusion

I'm 10 days post-op L5-S1 posterior fusion for a right sided herniation. Initial had numbness of lateral right foot (which is worse than pre-surgical) and post op I had been doing well pain wise with mostly incisional and muscular pain. Recently though I began developing severe Right leg pain that starts in my hip and radiates down to my ankle, worse though in my thigh and calf. The only way I can truly describe it is that it is the worst cramp/muscle spasm causing increasing numbness in my foot. When lying, the pain immediately goes away, and only increases to severe when I'm either sitting and standing. No change if I'm wearing my brace or if I walk short distances.

Has anyone had similar episodes or known causes for such?

lorileamc 11-08-2012 03:42 PM

Re: Severe Leg Pain When Sitting/Standing post fusion

Yes, I am having that pain, too. Surgery was Mon. a.m. It was what made me go have surgery so I'm really down about it today. Sitting is the worst-very sharp stabbing pain across the top of my buttocks and then down the leg. Dr's office says this can last up to 6 weeks. The nerves have to get back to "normal". Dilaudid doesn't touch the pain-anyone out there with any other meds that worked better?

Hope you find relief soon, StockliRacer.

StockliRacer 11-08-2012 03:51 PM

Thanks for replying. What bothers me is that I didn't' have it when I first started getting around, but within the past few days the pain has gotten so bad that it is bringing tears to my eyes anytime I try to sit/stand and is only relieved when I lay down. I'm on Oxycodone and Valium but neither decrease or relieve the pain.

ag993 11-09-2012 04:23 AM

[QUOTE=StockliRacer;5085905]Thanks for replying. I know what you mean by getting you down. When I went in for surgery, it was for a microdiscetomy and ended waking up with the fusion so now that this happening has been very depressing. What bothers me is that I didn't' have it when I first started getting around, but within the past few days the pain has gotten so bad that it is bringing tears to my eyes anytime I try to sit/stand and is only relieved when I lay down. I'm on Oxycodone and Valium but neither decrease or relieve the pain. Dilaudid bottoms my blood pressure out so that isn't an option.[/QUOTE]

I am also just a couple of days post op, 3, and i am having worse siatic pain then presurgery. I was told nerves were moved and this was not unusual. I am on muscle relaxer and hdrocodone 10. I think we need to give it time about 3 months until we will see improvement.
I also had C5-6 fusion surgery in August 2012 and it got worse before it got better. I hope this gives you hope for the future, you will be feeling better in time. I wonder why you re not on muscle relaxer? i really can telll when mine runs out! Good luck! I hope you both improve each day.

ag993 11-10-2012 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=agwhitten;5086129]I am also just a couple of days post op, 3, and i am having worse siatic pain then presurgery. I was told nerves were moved and this was not unusual. I am on muscle relaxer and hdrocodone 10. I think we need to give it time about 3 months until we will see improvement.
I also had C5-6 fusion surgery in August 2012 and it got worse before it got better. I hope this gives you hope for the future, you will be feeling better in time. I wonder why you re not on muscle relaxer? i really can telll when mine runs out! Good luck! I hope you both improve each day.[/QUOTE]

Today is day 4 post Op L5 S1 tLIF surgery. Pain is worse sitting or laying flat. I try to keep painful leg elevated at knee ( with pillows) i have to walk alot to keep it at bay. Supposesd to be lower meds but i can nit see how i can do this so early. Any thoughts on this?
A

StockliRacer 11-10-2012 12:23 PM

hey Ag, I'm at day 10 and the cramping/sharp pain that I get I've found is much worse in the morning (this morning my boyfriend had to hold me up and has claw marks in his back when the pain came on.. oops) and lasts about 30 secs to a minute then calms and it comes and goes frequently then tapers off as the day goes on. Laying down is the only relief of it reappearing. I am starting to find that if I take the muscle relaxer with a pain med (on the bad days but tylenol on the good) during the day the cramping is not at severe throughout the day. As the days go on it doesn't appear to be as frequent, but still just as severe. Just think of the days ahead, in hopes that this will soon be over!

ag993 11-13-2012 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=StockliRacer;5086785]hey Ag, I'm at day 10 and the cramping/sharp pain that I get I've found is much worse in the morning (this morning my boyfriend had to hold me up and has claw marks in his back when the pain came on.. oops) and lasts about 30 secs to a minute then calms and it comes and goes frequently then tapers off as the day goes on. Laying down is the only relief of it reappearing. I am starting to find that if I take the muscle relaxer with a pain med (on the bad days but tylenol on the good) during the day the cramping is not at severe throughout the day. As the days go on it doesn't appear to be as frequent, but still just as severe. Just think of the days ahead, in hopes that this will soon be over![/QUOTE]

Dear Racer,

I take my muscle relaxer every 7.5-8 hrs. I cannot stand to not take it. I have experiemented with lower pain meds or increasing time in between but the muscle relaxers are necessary? I hope you find relief.
A

gmak 11-13-2012 12:39 PM

Dear agwhitten,stock,lori, so sorry that you all are having nerve pain. I cant remember if i did when i had lumbar surgeries. But, ag,valium is the strongest muscle relaxer there is, as my dr told me, all the others say possibly effective in his PDR and valium says is effective. I know you all will push through with shining colors, but guerilla having leg pain as well. Hopefully, its better for all of you soon. Thank you.Keep updating, everyone pulling for you all!

ag993 11-15-2012 05:50 AM

[QUOTE=gmak;5088312]Dear agwhitten,stock,lori, so sorry that you all are having nerve pain. I cant remember if i did when i had lumbar surgeries. But, ag,valium is the strongest muscle relaxer there is, as my dr told me, all the others say possibly effective in his PDR and valium says is effective. I know you all will push through with shining colors, but guerilla having leg pain as well. Hopefully, its better for all of you soon. Thank you.Keep updating, everyone pulling for you all![/QUOTE]

Thank you Gmak,
I know i could have used some valium in the pat week. I am 12 days post op and haveing considerable pain from my TLIF. Running out of meds on the holiday weekend i was released was unprofession on the part of my Dr and staff. I have made an appt to see my pain management Dr because i feel a spine surgery patient should not have to beg every 5 days for relief. I have reduced dosage amounts and increased time in between to make them last, unfortunatly to my discomfort. Thank you to all who care and give support on this forum, it has helped me consideraby!

gmak 11-15-2012 07:52 AM

Dear ag, you poor thing! I know its so hard for me now. Dr started doing only rehab. So, new pm. He kept pressing injs, surgeries which are contraindicated with arachnoiditis. Called old dr,who took me back. When made follow up appt got dec 8. Meds run out on 11/28. Trying to stretch but pain so great. Dk what to do? AND, post op like you are, is even more severe. Wish i could help you. Please you, stock & lori get better soon. Please update conditions if you can. Hoping for you. Thank you, gmak

teteri66 11-15-2012 10:04 AM

Sometimes it is a matter of getting the right combination of meds rather than increasing dosage of pain medications. Hopefully, your PM can help you to do this.

I was very lucky in that I never had muscle spasms in any of my spine surgeries.

StockliRacer 11-15-2012 06:52 PM

Hey guys, so I had my 2 week post op today. Now first off, having to ride 2+ hours one way to get there was the most unbearable ride ever!! The positive side of it was the doc was very pleased with my progress, as the xrays showed no movement of hardware/spacer but still have a great deal of swelling. My lovely leg pain is from the nerve since there was a lot of manipulation during my surgery due to the damage of the disc was actually wrapped around and embedded in the nerve. He feels that it should decrease as the swelling goes down and as I recover but need to continue on the meds and try using a ice pack or heating pad to see if that would help me but ultimately I need to give it time... oyyy veyyy.....

gmak 11-15-2012 07:20 PM

Hi stockli, Im sorry that the ride caused you pain but it was good that you found out why the crazy leg pain. Had pain a long time & when people ask me what I do for it i say "wait". Wait for swelling to go down in your case or wait for pain pill to work in mine. Or waiting for the bad "stint" of pain to go away or healing in your case. It will come, it always does. I pray sooner than later in your case. Heal well & soon is my hope for you. Thank you for the update & keep posting your progress!

Julieotis81 11-16-2012 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=StockliRacer;5085895]I'm 10 days post-op L5-S1 posterior fusion for a right sided herniation. Initial had numbness of lateral right foot (which is worse than pre-surgical) and post op I had been doing well pain wise with mostly incisional and muscular pain. Recently though I began developing severe Right leg pain that starts in my hip and radiates down to my ankle, worse though in my thigh and calf. The only way I can truly describe it is that it is the worst cramp/muscle spasm causing increasing numbness in my foot. When lying, the pain immediately goes away, and only increases to severe when I'm either sitting and standing. No change if I'm wearing my brace or if I walk short distances.

Has anyone had similar episodes or known causes for such?[/QUOTE]

Hey StockliRacer, I am 31 and had my fusion when I was 27, NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE told me that I would have problems with my mobility, sitting up, and that the surgery was not ment to help with the pain, I was so angry when I finally found a dr that told me the truth I now have to go to a PM dr and he understands (he broke his back), I am young and then My PM dr told me that once you have a fusion that you will forever be going back for surgerys!!! No one told me this either This is the worst mistake of my life, I can't pick my child up, I can't do much and at such a young age,

gmak 11-16-2012 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Julieotis81;5090147]Hey StockliRacer, I am 31 and had my fusion when I was 27, NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE told me that I would have problems with my mobility, sitting up, and that the surgery was not ment to help with the pain, I was so angry when I finally found a dr that told me the truth I now have to go to a PM dr and he understands (he broke his back), I am young and then My PM dr told me that once you have a fusion that you will forever be going back for surgerys!!! No one told me this either This is the worst mistake of my life, I can't pick my child up, I can't do much and at such a young age,[/QUOTE]

Hi julieotis, I was 26 when i got hurt & blew out two discs, two surgeries to fix but no fusion b/c NS said i was too young. I understand how it feels. I got married, had children, then @ 32 had to have 2 more surgeries, just punched out a little disc,then leaked csf so final surgery. I remember when we lived far away from all our families, babies to raise. It was just us two to do everything to raise babies, both work FT,one days the other nights. When i would lay down@ night i would feel that deep ache sooo bad i would cry for my mother!That was the beginning of pain for 30 years now. It helps sooo much to be on healthboards! For someone to reply that feels just like you do. I wish i had known before now! But, you do know now that there are people like me that care that your hurting & struggling & feel betrayed by their surgeon. Mine was famous, people from all over the world came to him! But, i had a condition that is worsened by surgeries, epidurals etc. No one told me for 30 years!!! He is retired. Ive had so much done who knows what single event caused it. But, i know it showed on mri in 1988. I was finally told in 2012! Betrayed. The pain could have been prevented or at least lessened. I know how much it hurts & it affects every thing i have & do. But, it helps to look forward. Look forward to the times
when it is not so bad. Everytime you laugh, or have fun. Even if a little bit you forgot the
pain for a few minutes. I will be here if you need an ear. You have so many things to look
forward to. Its not easy but its your life. People here understand. Thank you,gmak