It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Racz procedure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike554 View Post
Gmak,

The physiatrist believes it is my s1 nerve root affected. He did an evaluation and based on what I said and what he found he believes that is the nerve responisble for my pain. That is the same nerve the scar tissue is abut.

He doesnt believe there is a tear, at first he thought it was weak muslces causing inflammatory molecules in my blood aggrevating my nerve. Second appt he then said it was scar tissue.

Dear strike, teteri is right. She can say the exact thought im thinking in about 100 less words! But, another opinion to get your answers is right if its right for you! Personally, ive never heard of inflammatory molecules in the blood, unless he was referring to the inflammatory response. Which is the body sending more blood to the damaged area which is trying to wash away problem but leaves redness, heat, & swelling behind. Or so ive read & that ice helps this by cutting down blood flow. Do you take anti inflammatories or a medrol dose pack? Anyway, someone else with a fresh perspective, like the ortho may answer your question,imo. Hopefully, your leg will settle down, if not if you havent taken a dose pak, maybe one of your drs would think its a good idea, it never hurts to ask,& the dr will know if best for you. I know its hard. Sometimes, you have to feel better just to make it to dr. Hope this finds you better. Im in texas also. My cousin saw a famous PM in dallas, cant remember his name though. Cant ask her either. Sleep apnea. Think his last name is 3 letters. Anyway, please keep us posted & hope that you find answers soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
(male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User

gmak,

He may have been referring to the inflammatory response and maybe i just interpreted it wrong.

Also, I have tried the dose pack before. It didnt do anything for me to be honest. That is why I am skeptical of doing an ESI. Also I am a paranoid person and I know I would just worry the whole 4 months after about contracting meningitis.

To be honest I dont really believe in chiropractics much either. My brother in law is one and the treatment is free. He has me on a traction machine and it gives me relief but maybe for just a few hours.

I just know i have scar tissue touching my nerve. From what i understand the nerves exiting the spine are very sensitive. If something is rubbing/touching it dont you think that would be my pain generator?

All I know is that im not going to give up and just throw in the towel. I am 25 yrs old and too young to live another 60 yrs with nerve pain.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
gmak,

He may have been referring to the inflammatory response and maybe i just interpreted it wrong.

Also, I have tried the dose pack before. It didnt do anything for me to be honest. That is why I am skeptical of doing an ESI. Also I am a paranoid person and I know I would just worry the whole 4 months after about contracting meningitis.
To be honest I dont really believe in chiropractics much either. My brother in law is one and the treatment is free. He has me on a traction machine and it gives me relief but maybe for just a few hours.
I just know i have scar tissue touching my nerve. From what i understand the nerves exiting the spine are very sensitive. If something is rubbing/touching it dont you think that would be my pain generator?
All I know is that im not going to give up and just throw in the towel. I am 25 yrs old and too young to live another 60 yrs with nerve pain.

Hi strike, i have aracnnoiditis, severe, according to one tx med center NS & 2 baylor- Tx med center neurosurgeons. Im eaten up with scar tissue even inside my spinal canal where spinal nerves all are. Spinal cord even tethered to meninges. So, i feel your pain. Literally. However those 3 NS"s gave 3 different opinions. Dont you wonder why the neurosurgeons themselves dont do the injections? Its soooo dangerous! On the other hand, my son blipped out a disc, went to an ortho in Austin who did an epi injs under fluoroscopy & the discs went back in! Its just like the polo stuff @ dept stores vs outlet stores. Are they the same thing? Most people believe so, but no the polo people manufacture the clothes to be specifically sold only in outlet stores. So, you get what you pay for right? No, you would have to go to factory to see if they use lesser fabric, thread etc. So, you take a chance on the outlet shirt or you take a chance buying a $88 dept store shirt? You see, its taking a chance. People in pain turn their back up for whatever the dr says. But, you arent paranoid! You are just someone that goes to the factory to check before taking a chance. Do i think the rasc is for you? I personally saw it & said no. Did your dr even mean rasc or just a normal saline injs? Dont know. The more info you gather for yourself the less you are taking a chance. If you dont think your NS cares about you, find someone that does. Its hard. I personally think that the pm/ anes types arent for me b/c of the pushing of procedures that i know are contrindicated with arach. But, they dont know that! Neither did baylor NS's who suggested morphine pump & spinal stimulator. Both cut the dura open which could cut the spinal nerves to anyplace below my waist! Do your homework, see ortho or new NS( thought if you tell them its only for 2nd opinion maybe they will see you)when you hear answer& treatment that makes sense then you will know. How much will your brother n law help as far as finding good surgeons, asking him if scar tissue abutting nerve is causing this pain. Didnt mean to rant. Thanks strike

Hey

Last edited by gmak; 11-16-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Quote:
gmak and teter,

You guys truly make me feel better. I am a very detailed person and I hate not knowing the EXACT reason of my pain. I guess sometimes life just brings us disappointments. I know you guys both have pain or else you wouldnt be on this forum either.

I have an appt with a new Dr this Monday the 19th. I am going to ask him specifically if scar tissue is just touching my nerve can it cause pain. Or if its a small tear or something.

Would you guys happen to know if discongenic pain or a disc "tear" can cause leg pain. I know the outer ring of my disc does have nerve fibers, but according to one doctor if my disc was torn I would have back pain which I have none of. No tear shows on MRI either

Thanks
I'm a little late to the party, and don't know about the procedure you're considering, but I do know the answer to this question! I had a fully extruded disc with central canal stenosis. It caused excrutiating back spasms and radicular pain. However, once the spasms were controlled with muscle relaxants, I had no pain in my back, just the radicular pain.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

If you are talking about an annular tear, that is different from an extruded disc...and my recollection is that there is an annular tear that your doctor was saying was small and wouldn't be the source of your pain...is that correct or am I confusing you with someone else? Do you have back pain too, or is it all leg pain?

The annulus is the tough outer covering of the disc...similar to the belt the runs around a radial tire (do they still make those??). The fibers of the annulus can fray or split. The outer rim has a type of nerve ending contained in the annulus, and this can cause a great deal of pain when irritated.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Oops -- I left out the full thickness annular tear, which I thought was a prerequisite to having an extruded disc (the annulus is no longer holding in the nucleus). So, yes it's possible to have an annular tear without the back pain. However, I don't know whether a partial thickness annular tear would cause radicular pain.

Reply Reply

Tags
microdiscectomy, scar tissue removed with saline and catheter, sciatic pain