It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
(male)

Tjp77 HB User
Spurs on SI Joints thinking of getting them Fused

I am 55 yr. old industrial carpenter on disability. Had L5-S1 fused 2004 was back to work full duty after 6 months. felt good for about a year. low back buttock and leg pain progressively got worse and finally had to be put on light duty. had many tests done to determine problem surgeon finally decided to remove hardware. it didn't help. been off on disability since. after hardware removal didn't help they found i had spurs on SI joints with a bone scan and had the injections to confirm pain was coming from there. that was early 2007. back then they said fusion was too dangerous to do and that eventually they would fuse themselves. so they implanted a morphine pump. i have recently heard of the orthoscopic technique ifuse. i am going to get the lidocaine injections again next week to see if i have the same results as in 2007. if i do i found a surgeon that does the ifuse fusion that will see me. i am nervous about it as it seems after every surgery i get i end up worse than i started with complications. (i have scar tissue encasing the roots of my siatics behind the laminas on both sides and arachnoiditis between l2 and l3.-" i guess i scar easily") Anyhow i am concerned about what loss of mobility happens or any other complication that can occur after this surgery. i really need to get something done even if it just relieves some of the pain i go through in a day. my life has gone from being a workaholic to just being able to just lay around. one of the most annoying things are the knots in my buttocks . i spend most of my time doing stretching exercises to try and loosen up the muscle cramps in my buttocks that never ever go away. i need some advice before i go nuts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Spurs on SI Joints thinking of getting them Fused

Dear tjp, You mention arachnoiditis, do you have your MRI report that says arac? i would be interested in exactly what it says regarding clumped nerves, description radiologist gives etc as i have arachnoiditis myself. When i was finally told i had it the neurosurgeon said no surgeries, 3 in fact but you are talking about surgery on si joints & im not sure about that as far as no surgeries. Im so sorry that you have it. Have you researched arachnoiditis?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
(male)

Tjp77 HB User

Hi Gmak
Nice to meet you. I copied the part of my MRI that mentions the arachnoiditis for the first time in 2009. This is what it said in the diagnostic report section of the MRI "L2-3 has deformation of the nerve roots which are aggravated toward
the right similar in appearance to the prior examination suggesting
some element of scarring or arachnoiditis. This extends from about
the upper 3rd of L2 through the upper 3rd of L3."
Then this is what it said in the impression section of the MRI "AGGREGATION OF NERVE ROOTS AT THE L2-3
LEVEL DORSALLY AND TO THE RIGHT IS SIMILAR IN APPEARANCE AND WOULD BE
MOST CONSISTENT WITH ARACHNOIDITIS."
When i went to see my surgeon after the MRI his suggestion was to fuse me from L1 all the way to my existing L5-S1 fusion. He said that would make the arachnoiditis spread would be the movement of the vertebrates from bending and such. That's why he recommended the fusion it would limit this movement. The only problem is that my pump meds are so high 10mg hydromorphine, 10 mg bupivicaine, and 350 ug baclophen that he was worried about how to handle the post op pain from the surgery. You could just imagine how me and the wife felt after that doctors appointment-we both felt like throwing up. needless to say the fusion was out and what i decided to do was to try and strengthen my abs and lower back muscles so that i could keep myself in a good posture as much as possible. With my scar tissue on my sciatic it's not hard at all to figure out when my posture is bad to begin with -i get that jolt from my buttocks to me feet to let me know everytime. I've had to have a couple of MRI's since 2009 and so far they say that it hasn't spread so i just keep my fingers crossed. Yes i did read up on arachnoiditis after that 2009 MRI and it is scary i guess the clumping could get so bad that there is a chance of getting paralyzed from the waist down exists but you can't think of worst case scenarios - you know that being a fellow pain patent. These are the cards we were dealt so you do the best you can. It does get hard to try and convince yourself of this day in and day out ,but that's all we have. I wish you luck Gmak and i do feel your pain the best advice iI can give you is don't think about it too much and I don't know where your arachnoiditis is located but if you can try not to let that area get too much movement which would irritate it and possibly help it spread . At least that's what I was told.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Thanks for the info. I have arach from L3 to tailbone. It is my understanding, that I got arachnoiditis secondary to back surgeries, injections, myelogram & that no further surgery can be done regardless of daily pain, neuropathy, etc.& there is no surgical treatment for it, ie fusions, immobilization, & in my case the neurosurgeons wouldnt operate on me at all no matter how much i begged them. Which surgery are you considering? Sorry im confused about ifuse or a fusion?

Last edited by gmak; 01-18-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: comfusing

Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
(male)

Tjp77 HB User

since my arachnoiditis is only between l2 and l3 he recomended fusing me from l1 to my existing fusion at l5 to imobilze the area with arachnoiditis. i am thinking of getting my sacoriliac loints fused since they came out with this new orthoscopic fusion called ifuse. i posted to see if anyone here has had it done and if they did get their opinion on it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi tj, Oh, ive seen inquiries about ifuse but i dont know anything about it myself. Perhaps others? Ive never heard of immobilization for arach. With your only having one level "arached" out, you can possibly have surgery, i guess. Someone should come along about ifuse or the fusion. Thanks. I had to research arach myself too!

Last edited by gmak; 01-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
Tjp77 (01-18-2013)
Reply Reply