It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

missindi HB User
Ketamine infusion for tolerance reduction anyone?

Hi everyone,

My PM has suggested admitting me to hospital for a few days for a ketamine infusion to reduce my tolerance to opioids and help increase the effectiveness of my BT meds. I have had ketamine very successfully given during surgery and post op but not for this reason.

Has anyone else tried this?

Thank you

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
I have only read about it

In articles and posts. There is some risk to it, which is why you are kept in the hospital for 3 to 5 days. It does work. The major negative is that it is very expensive and most insurances will not pay anything for it, unless it is done as a medical necessity. Like you must clean the opioids out quickly to perform an emergency surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: I have only read about it

I'd be very interested in info on if your insurance will pay for this, and if there is any data on it. I've heard of ketamine infusions for pain in general, but not to reduce tolerance. Has your doctor tried you on some of the oral meds that could be helpful, like DXM? Seems like this is something that pain doctor are starting to address more. Previously adding anything to potentiate opiates would be frowned upon as being subject to being abused, but I could see that for certain patients it would be good. I haven't found any doctor willing to support a hospital admission for me, let alone for something more experiential like this. Best wishes.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
(female)

missindi HB User
Re: Ketamine infusion for tolerance reduction anyone?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Hey Daffy, yes, after having been on ketamine infusions post op (in fact I would never have serious surgery without it again it is so effective), I would say that you could never do this as an out patient, the hallucinations etc make you too unstable (they aren't scary at all though). I also get extreme chest pain if they just stop the infusion suddenly, I thought I was having a heart attack after a surgery to debride a staph infection in my back.

Hey TG, I live in Australia and have private health so if my pm thinks its necessary then it gets covered. Usually a 7 day trip to hospital but we are wondering if we can do it in 3 because I have an 18 month old at home. I am not on high doses of opioids at all 80mg of Kapanol/Kadian plus oxy BT but my pain is pretty incredible, I have some major thoracic damage with a stuffed T8 nerve which affects my breathing. Either thoracic surgery or the seat belt trigger my vaso vagel and whenever I have flare ups this becomes a big problem - vomiting, passing out, disorientation etc. I could just take more and more narcotics (and sometimes I do, my usual dose is 160 OC a day) but I'm trying to lower my tolerance so i can get some relief when I have bad flare ups. DXM is not available in Aus and isn't thought to be so effective. I do know two people that have tried both and both say ketamine is much more effective. I know it's effective but I want to make sure it reduces tolerance before I commit to a hospital stay of that length (I hate hospital and my last stay was nearly 6 months, horrible for everyone, especially my partner and baby).

Thanks for your replies, please share any other experiences you have.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missindi View Post
Hi everyone,
My PM has suggested admitting me to hospital for a few days for a ketamine infusion to reduce my tolerance to opioids and help increase the effectiveness of my BT meds. I have had ketamine very successfully given during surgery and post op but not for this reason.
Has anyone else tried this?
Thank you
Hi miss indi, Ive read many studies about ketamine infusions given to arachnoiditis patients in UK, Canada & Australia but not so much here. I am very interested in your treatment/ outcome & wanted to ask if you would please post about your stay? Thanks.

Last edited by gmak; 01-24-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: wording

Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
(female)

missindi HB User

Hi gmak, I certainly will if it is of interest or help to anyone here. My partner and I have decided to go for it - probably start around 7 Feb but it will depend on if my pm can get me in then. She usually does the infusion over 7 days but I really feel I can only commit to 5 days.

Shall let you know

The Following User Says Thank You to missindi For This Useful Post:
gmak (01-25-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
(female)

KelliB HB User

I live in San Antonio and had a ketamine infusion for post operative pain after an L5-S1 spinal fusion, it was amazing! In fact it worked so well that I had to be extra attentive to my body as pain was no longer guiding me with movements, ect. I went into his office, the treatment lasted 4 hours. It worked very well for about 5 weeks, now I am having severe hip, groin and leg pain. I am going for an xray today and a hip injection on Friday. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliB View Post
I live in San Antonio and had a ketamine infusion for post operative pain after an L5-S1 spinal fusion, it was amazing! In fact it worked so well that I had to be extra attentive to my body as pain was no longer guiding me with movements, ect. I went into his office, the treatment lasted 4 hours. It worked very well for about 5 weeks, now I am having severe hip, groin and leg pain. I am going for an xray today and a hip injection on Friday. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Dear kelly Did you have it at home i.e. five weeks or were you in hospital for five weeks or did original treatments last five weeks? Sorry for questions but wanted to be sure. Do you have arachnoiditis by any chance? Thank you so much.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Hi kellyb, This is the first time i have heard of its use in the U.S. Sorry for thr reading comprehension problem in my last post! Duh! I go to San Antonio very often downtown near all the big hospitals.Thank you so much for this informative information & hope that you have a speedy recovery!

Last edited by gmak; 02-08-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: posting rules on pm board

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Dear kellib, i have arachnoiditis a very painful chronic debilitating condition. Recently, i heard a pastor on video in obvious physical pain state that he had arach also then in the next video he appeared normal & said that he had ketamine infusions for 7 days & that now @ the time of this video it had been 14 weeks later & he was still pain free after the infusions. Do you know where i could or would start to find info about this being done in the US, like the in patient 5-7 day ketamine trial for severe pain relief & a sympathetic nervous system response reversal? Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by gmak; 02-08-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: posting rules

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
(female)

KelliB HB User

I'm sorry, I only had one 4 hour infusion, it was in office and every 5 min. the doc would come in with a syringe of ketamine and chase it with a sryinge of versed, to control any halusinations, and that gave me relief for 5 weeks. Mine was for post-operative pain, I had an L5-S1 infusion with hardware and diskectomy and laminectomy. I remember thinking at the time how positivily useful this would be for addicts. I am a smoker and I walked into my house and the smoke hit me like ton of bricks, ciggarettes tasted terrible, I did not want to take my pain meds AND when I did for fear of withdrawl about a day later one worked remarkably well and even gave me a bit of a buzz, prior to I had been on a dose of up to 10 a day WITH a fentanyl patch. Do I think this will work for tolerance reduction? 100%. I did not even want to eat unhealthy, I wanted salad and water and fresh fruit. I have really high expectations for this drug in regards to many ailments. I see this being a major discovery in dependence and I informed my doctor of that at our followup. My insurance would not pay and just the 1, four hour infusion was I think $6000 but I would recomend it for anybody with massive pain. My good friend has RSD Reflex sympathetic dystrophy and is in the most debilitating pain and overall poor condition of anyone I know, the treatment she is seeking with ketamine is not done here in the US and that is to be placed in a ketamine induced coma for 7 days to reset her sympathetic nerve from sending pain signals to the brain. I hope this has helped and I wish you the best of luck, and yes I would love to hear about the procedure too when you are done.If after my reply you still would like the name of my doc. let me know but it sounds to me your doctor has it figured out and perhaps even at a greater level of administration then mine. Again best wishes!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
(female)

KelliB HB User

Im so sorry Gmak, I see know I am confusing your post with the orginal poster here, do you need my Dr. info after all?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Im so sorry Gmak, I see know I am confusing your post with the orginal poster here, do you need my Dr. info after all?
Dear kellib, Im afraid that i would fall into the same category as your friend with RSD, i am quite debilitated from severe pain from arachnoiditis since 1988. I am interested in the 5-7 day ketamine coma but not for tolerance but for what i saw with the pastor who had complete pain relief for at least 14 weeks but dont know the long term outcome for him. A dr in massachusettes helped him get the infusion coma in NC. This is the first time that i have ever heard of it in the U.S., reading mostly accounts of patients that have adhesive arachnoiditis in the UK, Canada, Australia being given a "trial" of ketamine infusions & it seems to be a common treatment. I need to talk to my drs & will research further but i appreciate
your kindness. Thanks!

Last edited by gmak; 02-08-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
(female)

cmmm HB User

HI Missindi trying to find a health fund to cover for ketamine infusion in australia can you help?

Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
(female)

cmmm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missindi View Post
Hi gmak, I certainly will if it is of interest or help to anyone here. My partner and I have decided to go for it - probably start around 7 Feb but it will depend on if my pm can get me in then. She usually does the infusion over 7 days but I really feel I can only commit to 5 days.

Shall let you know

Reply Reply