It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Simplysweet410 HB User
Pain management doctor retired after 10 years

Hi everyone. I have been with my pm doc for 10 years. I have degenerative disk disease and i REALLY NEED HELP finding another one in the south Louisiana area.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Simplysweet410 HB User
Re: Pain management doctor retired after 10 years

Please help im so scared of withdrawls and pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

inpain2013 HB User

I wish I could help but I'm in CA. When I decided to try pain management I checked with my insurance to see if they had any recommendations. They gave me the name of the clinic I now go to. I have been with this clinic for many years now. If you have insurance you could try calling them. It was important for me to find a clinic with a good reputation so they will remain open.
Good luck!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Simply,
I'm sure that your doctors office must've told all of their patients that the doctor was retiring prior to the date, so you should have been given a list of doctors or a referral to another pain management practice.
You will need to get your records and have them sent to whatever new doctor you will be seeing, but the best option to finding a new pain management doctor is to check your insurance companies listings of in network providers. They can be sorted by location , practice specialities and you will also need any xrays, tests, MRI's (cd's or films and reports) and CT scans ( films, and reports as well) prior to seeing a new doctor.
The other option to find a new doctor is to check out the american pain management society. They have a listing of doctors in all 50 states and you can find the information on their website.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplysweet410 View Post
Hi everyone. I have been with my pm doc for 10 years. I have degenerative disk disease and i REALLY NEED HELP finding another one in the south Louisiana area. She was located in Dallas
Hi simplysweet, I went through a similar experiemce last fall, my dr went hospitalist, & I had no problem getting an appt @ a pm, as long as you send your records like previously posted, MRI, tests, a letter or note that your dr retired, i live in Houston area & i was looking @ a specific kind of dr, a physical medicine & rehab & found many in this area.

Last edited by gmak; 01-24-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: info

Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Hi there...

I am sorry to hear of your situation...I agree with Backhurtz, being with this Dr. for so long I would think she would be letting all her patients know this with plenty of time to help find another DR. she could recommend.

Have you asked her for a referral to someone? And if she is actually retiring, I can't believe that she would just leave immediately without helping her patients these last months get settled someplace new.

As mentioned, you can check out certain websites or contact your insurance company for other PM's in your area.

Make sure to get a copy of your records as well as they will be sent from this practice to any new Dr. you see. Is the entire practice being shut down, as in is she the only Dr. in this whole place?

Sorry for the questions..just trying to see what is going on here. I don't live in that area so I can't help with a recommendation.

It may also be if this Dr. can't personally get you into one of her colleague's practice that it may take a visit or two with a new Dr. before they are comfortable prescribing the same types of meds. They may even have a totally different treatment plan but hopefully your records will show everything.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Hi Simply-

It seems that you "retiring" doctor didn't make provisions for her/his patient's continued care. It is also abandondment which is against the law in my State, probavly all States. You mean she/he just up and closed her/his doors with no prior notice? Especially after you being a long time patient.

Did something happen that you were not provided with information on who would be taking over her/his patients?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Simplysweet410 HB User

Well she did let me know that she was retiring. At the time i had lots going on....divorce.....moving to a new state....grandfather very ill! So its my fault that i put it off until a month ago! LITTLE DID I KNOW HOW MUCH TROUBLE IT IS TO SEE A NEW PM DOC!!!!!!!!!! I asked for my records and she told me that all of her notes were hand written and no one would need them. I asked if she could refer me to someone else and she told me that the DEA had shut down so many doctors she knew of no one! So here i am NO REFERRAL, NO RECORDS FROM THE PAST 10 YEARS, NOTHING!!!! I am in the process of getting a current MRI done. It makes me so angry that the good have to suffer for the bad in the DEA's eyes. Im a single mom and i have a beautiful and sweet son to take care of! I went to a family physician here and told him my situation and he looked at me like a crackhead!!!! Again IM SO ANGRY! I have been living a normal life for the past 10 years. Bringing my son to baseball, working, cooking. JUST BEING A MOM, but i was able to do that because i had my meds to help with my pain!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Simplysweet410 HB User

And after being with her for 10 years....she has been with me thru thick and thin!!!!! I loved her. She would even just call sometimes just to check and see how everything in my life was going. She was a wonderful women. Im just so frustrated that she didnt tell me what I would need to find a new doctor :-(. The last MRI i had done was in 2003. The only records i have are bloodwork done at the hospital every 6 months. Like i said im in the process of getting new MRIs (which i needed anyway) but I am in TOTAL SHOCK OF ALL TGE RED TAPE that people have to go thru just to have a normal life. It is so SAD

Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Not having records is unheard of! I am assuming she was cash only then? I think I would follow up with the AMA or whomever because without records you have nothing to show for the last 10 year of treatment. I am sorry to say but this stinks to high heaven.

Have you talked to your primary? She/he must know you are on pain meds because you are required to tell all your doctors. Maybe you rprimary could help you.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Simplysweet410 HB User

Yep i sure have talked to my primary. Which is a new doctor that doesn't know me because i moved lol. Goodness. What a mess. I saw an orthopedic dr today. I told him that I want to look into other methods to relieve my back pain. Im just so scared of withdrawals!!!!!!! UGH

Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Quote:
Well she did let me know that she was retiring. At the time i had lots going on....divorce.....moving to a new state....grandfather very ill! So its my fault that i put it off until a month ago! LITTLE DID I KNOW HOW MUCH TROUBLE IT IS TO SEE A NEW PM DOC!!!!!!!!!! I asked for my records and she told me that all of her notes were hand written and no one would need them. I asked if she could refer me to someone else and she told me that the DEA had shut down so many doctors she knew of no one! So here i am NO REFERRAL, NO RECORDS FROM THE PAST 10 YEARS, NOTHING!!!! I am in the process of getting a current MRI done. It makes me so angry that the good have to suffer for the bad in the DEA's eyes. Im a single mom and i have a beautiful and sweet son to take care of! I went to a family physician here and told him my situation and he looked at me like a crackhead!!!! Again IM SO ANGRY! I have been living a normal life for the past 10 years. Bringing my son to baseball, working, cooking. JUST BEING A MOM, but i was able to do that because i had my meds to help with my pain!
It is unheard of that after 10 years, she has no records to give you. What medical conditions was she treating you for? For at least the last 7 years, doctors have had to keep meticulous records for why she was prescribing narcotic medications to her patients, so this isn't flying.....and won't fly with any other physician. She knows full well that no other doctor is just going to write pain killers to any patient who walks into their office with no documentation, no records of any kind and just hand them a prescription for medication. Even with records and medical testing proving a bonafide medical condition, no doctor is going to just continue to write /take over writing prescriptions for a new patient just coming into their office for the first time. Most family physicians don't write narcotics for their patients, instead having a surgeon or a pain management physician first see them and then make recommendations, if they will write them then.
I would strongly suggest that you start tapering those medications that you have, so that you slowly reduce the amount. Otherwise, you will simply have to go "cold turkey" and start over.
There is something that really stinks about this whole situation and I'm afraid that without the proper tests and medical history, you are going to find yourself starting out on a very difficult path indeed.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yep i sure have talked to my primary. Which is a new doctor that doesn't know me because i moved lol. Goodness. What a mess. I saw an orthopedic dr today. I told him that I want to look into other methods to relieve my back pain. Im just so scared of withdrawals!!!!!!! UGH
Withdrawal is unpleasant but not life threatening. I don't know what medication you were on, or how many you have left but if I were you, and you have any left, I would quickly start reducing the amount you are taking and then reduce it again each day, until you are taking none.
Without the proper records, you are essentially starting over. The withdrawal symptoms can be easily managed by hot showers, vitamins, over the counter meds for any gastro related issues, and keeping hydrated. It is very similar to having the flu, including muscle aches and tension however it is mostly over in 5-7 days....day 3 is usually the worst, then gets better from there on out...
If you do have some meds left, take half of what you were taking, then reduce by half again a day or two later. This will reduce many of the withdrawal symptoms....keep reducing until you either run out or are down to zero meds a day..

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
Simplysweet410 (02-04-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Dear sweet, I think it is time i told you my story since i live in texas. My dr left to do rehab & he told us he "may" stop seeing pain pts so, one day i called for soma refills & was told he wouldnt b/c of dea & red flags & btw he is doing rehab only but i could get records so i did & saw 1st pm/anes. This dr didnt even look @ Mri anything & told me i was in the tunnel of death on way to morgue 6 times in 15 mins, lied to me that my previous dr lost license, accused me of sucking on patches( didnt know what he was talking about), that i took advantage of prev drs compassion forcing him to give me meds, that he invented a tens he was pushing & i had exact one @ home & he would help me get off narcotics & to just live with pain. Next day saw 2nd dr, physiatrist, gave me fentanyl patch, bt, & pushed esi's even though contraindicated with arachnoiditis & coersively held rx's unless i lined his pocket with money for esi's even telling me he was " sticking his neck out" & how much money he got for each procedure, did $2500 tox screen. I called old dr & he agreed to keep seeing me for pain knowing i had arach & couldnt do esi's but told me about how dea was scaring every dr in texas so bad there had been a mass exodus of drs treating pain. So, I understand your old drs actions & the predicament that you are in all too well. I would if i were you just keep interviewing pm docs until you find one that believes you, treats you & hopefully the trust will build fast. Thats why i told you about pm& r drs, physiatrists & i found alot in houston area. I did extend fentanyl patch to 3 days & saved all bt meds for #10 pain only & used TENS on high/24hrs a day.Around here, in my opinion the drs are all scared with dea breathing down their necks to the point that they
are telling the patients about it! Im truly so sorry and i understand.
Sorry if sounds like rambling but this is long, so please feel free to
ask me if unclear or questions ok?
P.s. im sure your dr was not cash only but hand written records
can be copied & hand carried & i would try to get them by calling
the office personnel. And again im so sorry, the last thing you need is to have to justify yourself, imho!

Last edited by gmak; 01-26-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typos& ps, wording

Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Simply.
I am really confused by your story, first you said that she retired and when I said that she must've let you and her other patients know that she was retiring you said that she did tell you, but in the very next post by you, you then say that she didn't tell you that you would need to find a new PM doctor. How can that be?? You also said that you didn't bother to try to find a new PM doctor because of moving and a sick grandfather, and divorce, so something is not right about this story..
Either you were going to a pill mill doctor and that's why she isn't giving you a referral, because she is afraid of the DEA or other law enforcement coming after her, and she realizes that no other legit pain practice is going to take on her patients..whichever is the case, we can't help you if you aren't going to be honest with us. You aren't going to find a doctor by going from doctor to doctor in hopes that you are going to tell them this story and have them believe it, and write you prescriptions because that isn't going to happen.
DDD is considered to be a perfectly normal finding on a MRI. Every single person on the planet is going to show signs of DDD if they are over the age of 18, in varying degrees but unless there is something else, most surgeons and pain management doctors don't consider DDD to be a painful condition worth treating with opiates . Injections, anti inflammatories, physical therapy, ice, heat, massage, swimming, yoga etc are all options to learn to manage the pain. There are also over the counter remedies, heat patches, lotions and creams that help to reduce the pain are all available in the pharmacies.

Closed Thread