It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Car accident

gmak:

I know I am having a tough time to separate the pain that I am feeling in my neck at the moment. Is it from the "ongoing" problems or from the "accident." Tough to say.

I saw the doctor to make sure that nothing happened to the surgical site or to the implant itself. I am making notes on how I am feeling. still trying to figure out whats OLD and whats NeW.

Its like I called my insurance company to report the accident. First I spoke to someone about the property damage but then to a medical person. In the event that I treat for injuries from the accident then they would go to my auot carrier.

I told them about the prior surgery and back issues. And I said what do I do. I cant say what I am experiencing is related to the accident or not.

One thing I know is that I was feeling better after the surgery was done. Even though it wasnt done on my neck I was getting 2ndary help from the implant on the pain in the cervical area.

Then the accident occurred and I did find an increase in pain in the cervical and shoulder area. Is this from the accident? I cant say 100% either way as to where its comeing from.

So my insurance company sent me a form to complete to ask about injuries from the accident. I said neck & shoulder. but I had to clarify on a seaparte page that at this time I cant say what the cause is. Time will tell if something develops or not.

I have not treated for the accident. I did see the doctors but that was followups for post surgery etc. They are aware of the accident. And they confirmed that the accident did not damage the surgical site or the implant. Did the increase in pain in the neck stem from accident? I am undecided at this time. But I am still keeping tabs on things and how I am doing. Will discuss with doctor when I see him again in February for follow up again to surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear pebble, I think you are doing the right thing about all of the above & i hope & pray that these symptoms resolve again at least back to where they were with the pump partially helping your neck & we will see in time just like you said. It seems to me that when it comes to anything involving the CNS it is tricky, what we "feel" is sometimes hard to figure out! Thanks pebble.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I can't help but wonder, with all the medication that I am on, what is it doing to my system?

I don't mean is it helping my pain level. But how are these medications affecting me generally.

I am on tons of medications. Its like I am on cholesteroal medication; diabetes medication; over the counter like B-6 and B-12.

But what I am wondering is the affect of the following medication: The pain pump is DIALUDID & BIPUVACAINE.

But I have also been taking Hydrocodone 7. 5 - 750 mg. & Tizanadine 2.mg which is a muscle relaxant.

As far as I know Dilaudid is an offshoot of Morphine. A narcotic. Yes the amount that I am getting is low. 0.48 ml per day.
The Bipuvacaine is an anesthetic/epidural/nerve block type of medication.
And the Hydrocodone is a narcotic. An opiate as far as I know and I think the dilaudid is an opiate as well.

Today, I happened to be a my temple for Bible Studay. And during the time I was there I felt "loopy" I don't know if that is the right way to describe the feeling. But lightheaded is another way I guess to describe it there.

And after we done I was talking to someone who is a retired doctor -- interinst I think. Told him what I was on and I was feeling loopy. I think he was a little concerned. And was concerned about me driving. I was real close to home. But I felt out of it. And I am thinking it was the medication.

Any opinions on the combination of drugs in ones system and the effect it has i.e. lightheadedness.?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear pebble, I think all opioids can have side effects such as drowsiness, slight nausea, dizziness, itching, constipation etc & can happen alone or concomittently with other drugs & this can be intermittent as well. I think as chronic pain patients we can become accustomed to these symptoms or they can occur intermittently especially when they are newly prescribed, if we havent eaten or just spontaneously for no reason at all. Lightheadedness, " out of it" could be you are not accustomed or could be the combination of 2 opioids like an additive effect, tizanidine has dizziness listed as a side effect & it has made me light- headed at times, or it can be something else completely i.e. high bp, low blood sugar etc. I would tell the PM & let him decide what changes need to be made if any. If it persists he may want med changes or dose changes, or lab testing i.e. blood sugar, urine to rule out a physiological reason & i would at least call if it isnt improving over time. I understand your concerns & it is concerning when any of these symptoms happen persistently & even more so when they seem to occur at random because of circumstances such as not being close to home & driving, i dont want to appear altered, i just want the pain to stop without side effects of any kind! I hope it doesnt happen anymore, i was meeting people at a dinner party & everybody was talking & i got the driest mouth ever right out of the blue, i couldnt talk & it was so embarrassing!

Last edited by gmak; 01-26-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: info, typos

Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Inactive
(male)

I have had issues also recently of "dry mouth." It felt like I had a mouth full of cotton. So I am constantly looking for something to drink

The lightheadedness really was bothering me earlier today. Maybe I was worrying too much but I really felt off balance from it. Maybe i willg et used to it over time. But it sitll soncerne me when it does happen and it wasnt the first time either.

I am on a lot of medication. But not sure what the interaction is as well with the other medications that I am on. Like I am on Tricor for cholesterol; insulin for my diabetes. I am also on over the counter medication for circulation reasons.

All these medications and understanding the interaction is certainly beyond me as to how they interact.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
It looks like ur going through a mess. The dry mouth could be diabetes issue. Maybe run through all ur meds with the local pharmacist I get a lot of help from Steve at Walgreens around the corner.

How is ur neck now that it has been a few days?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
Inactive
(male)

Dean:

I am not sure what to make of the whole thing at this point in time.

The intrathecal pain pump was placed at T-10. So I know it was put in an area to help my mid-low back area.

The trial I was surprised by how well it worked. I was getting "great" relief. I was even feeling like I was getting relief in the neck area which it wasn't supposed to be helping and I even felt the peripheral neuropathy in my legs showed signs of improvement.

Then they put in the "permanent" pain pump. I know that there were going to be days when I would still feel pain. I knew I shouldn't expect that the pain would be "completely" gone and I would never suffer again. I knew that would not be a realistic expectation.

So the permanent implant went in and for a few days I was sore.But I think that was more from the surgical procedure rather than experiencing pain from the underlying issues. I felt that after the permanent implant went in I was 80% pain free. So to me things were great. The implant was a success. I was still getting relief in the neck area.

But then the accident occurred about 12 days post surgery. From that point on I felt that my neck started to hurt me more. I also was getting "some" pain in the lower back as well.

But I am still sitting here thinking is the pain that I am now experiencing in the neck a result of the accident? Was I just lucky that I was getting some relief in the cervical area for several days after the surgery? Has reality set in?

So is the permanent implant doing what it is supposed to do in that it is working on just the low back? How can I say that the neck pain is from the accident or not? I really can't say that I have new symptoms since the accident/ I just can't separate the two right now. Yes I am having neck pain. But the Cause is the issue for me?

Yes I am having low back pain here and there. Again the pump is not a cure. And is the pain that I am experiencing been the pain that has been on going. Or did the accident exacerbate the situation? I dont know. And I dont know if I can separate the two events or if the doctors can even answer thsoe questions.

I just went thru an MRI on December 27th I think was the date. Even if we redo an MRI a month later will we be able to see any changes that may have been caused by the accident?

I just took a dose of percocet. Again feeliing lightheaded from it. And it is bothering me the way I am feeling. I dont even want to attempt driving anywhere feeling lightheaded the way I am.

I don't know where to turn at this point. I just dont have the answers.

This is frustrating me. Not sure what else to say or do at this point in time. I see the pain doctor on February 6th I think is the date. Need to see how I am feeling by that time as to the neck issues and if anything new has developed.

In any event since the pump isnt implanted to help the neck issues then need to figure out how to address the neck pain. And need to figure out the neck pain whether it is accident related or not. I NEED ANSWERS...

Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Frustrating. I would think you would be still sore from the accident but will improve daily now if no damage.

Do u think possibly the feeding tube moved in the accident and if so, any way to check if it moved.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
Inactive
(male)

I did have the catheter checked after the accident. The radiologist report then the pain doctor saw the films as well. Everything looked ok from the x-ray. The implant and the catheter are fine..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I did have the catheter checked after the accident. The radiologist report then the pain doctor saw the films as well. Everything looked ok from the x-ray. The implant and the catheter are fine..
Hi pebble, I think deanh is right in the fact that you should be improving day by day & i know that the wreck set you back but if i were you i would call the PM because of the lightheadedness, slight imbalance, the pump medication is new & the pump was accomplishing more pain relief in your neck even than it is currently. I think the dr would want to know because didnt he tell you earlier that he may have to adjust with different dosages, medications before he arranges the best combination & amount for you? In my opinion i think its time to at least call him because it seems like you were doing much better earlier post op & i certainly care about you & want you to have the best that the drs & the pump can achieve. Thanks pebble.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
Inactive
(male)

I really notice a big difference in the lightheadness when I take the Oxycodone/Percocet that he prescribed when I left the hospital. It is close to flooring me when I take it. Then when it is out of my system I dont feel as bad.

I told them about the lightheadness and told to let them know if it continues when I see them again next week. Probably is a matter of getting used to the medication.

for now dealing with another issue. Saw diabetes doc and an issue came up with blood work affecting my kdiney. The work came back worse then what the kdieny doc had. Have call in now to see what to do. The diabetes doc was real worried about the kdiney issue getting worse. Wondering what implact this has on everythig else going on in my life.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #27
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I really notice a big difference in the lightheadness when I take the Oxycodone/Percocet that he prescribed when I left the hospital. It is close to flooring me when I take it. Then when it is out of my system I dont feel as bad.
I told them about the lightheadness and told to let them know if it continues when I see them again next week. Probably is a matter of getting used to the medication.
for now dealing with another issue. Saw diabetes doc and an issue came up with blood work affecting my kdiney. The work came back worse then what the kdieny doc had. Have call in now to see what to do. The diabetes doc was real worried about the kdiney issue getting worse. Wondering what implact this has on everythig else going on in my life.
Pebble, Certainly, i hope it gets worked out. I hoped that with less meds the kidney labs would get better for you. I will pray & please let us know what nephrologist says. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #28
Inactive
(male)

The kidney is a separte issue and I dont think will get better. I say that because I saw my kidney doctor before the implant was done. Several things have progressed in kidney disease. And then the blood work from my diabetes doctor while it covers some of the same things that is done by kdiney doctor. Showed an even further progression of the kidney issues.

Also my potassium level is at a dangerous level. And diabetes doc knows about the implant so doesnt think kdieny is being affected by other things going on.

He wanted me to get into the kidney doc this week because the blood work was bad. Waiting for a call back from kidney doc. Agian the kidney and the other issues are 2 separte issues.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
Facilitator
(female)

Hi pebble, What did the dr say when he returned your call about kidney labs? Thanks.

Last edited by gmak; 01-29-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Inactive
(male)

Still waiting for information. Having a copy of report sent from the endocrinologist to the nephrologists office. Don't know why they didn't ask for it yesterday or why the endo didnt automatically send copy to kidney doctor so he can have the report and see it for himself. Not happy with the way it's been handled by either doctors office.
I said to the endo doc about sending copy to other doc. But he just gave me a copy thinking he would see me.
And why when I called in saying there was a problem with the lab work why they didn't ask for lab results yesterday when I called in.

Reply Reply