It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Car accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
Still waiting for information. Having a copy of report sent from the endocrinologist to the nephrologists office. Don't know why they didn't ask for it yesterday or why the endo didnt automatically send copy to kidney doctor so he can have the report and see it for himself. Not happy with the way it's been handled by either doctors office.
I said to the endo doc about sending copy to other doc. But he just gave me a copy thinking he would see me.
And why when I called in saying there was a problem with the lab work why they didn't ask for lab results yesterday when I called in.
Pebble, Who knows, why is right, imo! Ugh! Many times i think the office staff doesnt understand the importance of medical reports, symptoms, meds etc because they have no medical training & other times they save my life with their knowledge & kindness. For example, i think "If only i could talk to the dr" because he would know & help me & other times it is the dr who is being misunderstanding & the office personnel get it right! Again a situation of time will tell like we discussed about waiting to see how & what your neck, pump etc is doing. What's the update on that?

Last edited by gmak; 01-29-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #32
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Neck still seems to be an issue. Some days are better then others for me. I was given Percocet 10-325 when discharged from the permanent implant. I was really feeling the side effects from the percocet. Real lightheaded to the point I was concerned about driving after taking a dose.
I see the pain doctor next week for follow up. My lower back overall is good. Yes a little minor aches and pains here and there. But that I was told about in advance and new it wouldnt eliminate my pain 100%. But for the pain that I do experience I can live with it. So overall no complaints. It is the neck that I really want to address at this point in time.

As to hearing from doctors office on kidney. Finally got it straightened out. He got a copy of the report. I am on Ramipril which is a blood pressure medication but also used to protect the kidney. But one of the side effects is that it can elevate the potassium levels. We are in agreement to stop the Ramipril. We will redo the blood work in weeks to see what if any changes there are for better or worse.

But both doctors -- nephrologist & endocrinologist are concerned. There is evidence that things have progressed. One thru the blood work. There are 2 reports in a row showing changes. And one other thing is my with kidney disese my blood pressure is not as controlled as it had been. Another sign.

I think if there were 1 report that was irregular then you could question what is going on. But when you start having consistent changes for the worse as in blood work and other symptoms as blood pressure. Putting it all together then you have to start thinking if things are bad if there is now A TREND going on. Bits and pieces that are adding up. Now have to evaluate what is going on. Yes seeing what the next blood work shows will add a piece to the puzzle. For now there is concern as to what to expect. When TWO doctors are worried then I begin to worry too. Time will tell where I am headed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hey pebble, Im so sorry that the kidney issue seems like it is negatively progressing & idk what to say other than to believe for a miracle. We "spoke" about a home bp unit, did you buy one? Also, I know it doesnt help much but am glad that you figured out the lightheadedness problem. We all live with a day by day outlook with pain & i hope that the pump/ pain relief brings you many days of being more like your old self again. . I , personally am of the opinion that you are making a wise choice in seeing an orthopedic spine surgeon for the myelomalacia & disc problems in your neck & have hope that your neck & kidney will settle down or you will find new treatment for them. God bless you my friend & thank you for the update

Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #34
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

As to an orthopedic surgeon it may take me awhile to figure out who to use. I have run across the problem of some doctors dont even want to consult with me because of my history.

But I am thinking of going to the Hospital for Special Surgery just for a consult. This may take a while to arrange. Ive been there before; great hospital. But they are not in my medical plan. Thus they are out of network and would mean a bigger out of pocket expense. I am trying to figure out how to go there and afford the out of pocket at this point in time.

I just want som assurances of what is being told me by the neurosurgeon. Or maybe he can lead me somewhere else. So that is my to do list somewhere in the future.

As to the kidney I knew that it was going to eventually be a progressive problem. I just didnt know when. Will see in 3 weeks as to how the next blod work comes out. Then will deal with the results at that point in time.

Still dont know when dialysis will be recommended. Or at what point I will meet the guidelines for a transplant list. But will face it as the time gets closer. Just so much that I can handle mentally and physically at this point. My plate is already full in trying to deal with what I already know exists.

Take each day as it comes at this point I guess. What other choices do I have?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
Facilitator
(female)

Pebble, I hear you, friend. I know that you dont know much about arach but its the same in a way, i have to face what comes today & deal with it the best that i can & this is exactly what you are doing too & i have a friend who deals with tremendous pain & disability who greets each day with a "It could be worse" attitude, this helps me as well.

Last edited by gmak; 01-29-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wording

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
Facilitator
(female)

Hi pebble, I havent seen you on the board for 3 days which is unusual & with the new pump medicines, kidney worries & lightheadedness im concerned about you. Hope that you are fine & just out living your life having low pain!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #37
Inactive
(male)

Gmak:

Thank you for your concern. No I haven't been on that much the past few days.

Friday night, which is the begining of my Sabbath, I ended up in synagogue. I really needed to be there. I hadn't been going to pray in such a long time because of the way I had been feeling.

So I pushed myself Friday night. It was a struggle to stay awake and concentrate. I have not slept for I can't tell you how long. I am awake most of the evening. Whatever sleep I do get it is in spurts.

So when I saw some people at synagogue they noted how bad I looked. I think a big part of it is worry.
I am still getting relief from the pump in the low back area. I have been giving myself a "bolus" usually 1 or 2 times a day as needed.
My neck has been giving me issues and still taking note to see I can differeentiate between the feelings of pain before the accident and after the accident. I have noticed some stiffness in my hands but that could be the arthritis and some numbness for a short period of time. Cant recall ever having numbness before. It eventually stopped and waiting to see if reoccurs or not. So I am not sure if anything occurred as a result of the accident or not.

I see the pain doctor that put in the pump again on Wednesday and will discuss what is going on with him.

Just wish I could get some sleep. I can be fine one minute then the next minute I am overwhelmed with the feeling of being exhausted.

I have NOt taken any Percocet since I really felt that it was knocking me for a loop as to lightheadedness. I really dont want to drive if I take the Percocet because of the way it made me feel.

As to the kidney issues I got the script for more blood work the other day. I have to repeat the blood work in 3 weeks so we can see what affects taking me off the medication has had on me. So I will see if things got worse as far as my Potassium levels and the other blood work that the doctor has ordered.

Just feeling overwhelmed with everything. Here I thought I was on the right path after the pump was put in then got into the accident; then 2 bad reports on my blood work; both doctors not liking what they saw.

Just trying to survive each day at this point in time and keep my mind active.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
Facilitator
(female)

Pebble i am glad to see your okay! First, I think it is very wise to go to temple & to pray when worried it gives hope & gets our minds off worries & im glad that you went even though with no sleep it was hard. When i couldnt work anymore my dad told me that people need to sleep 8hours, work 8hours & had 8 hours to do what we should, want etc ( work, sleep, play equally)& if one of these is gone it affects the balance of the others such as no sleep & your work suffers, work too much & the family time suffers, no work & sleep suffers, too much play & work suffers its a balance like our mind, body, spirit is a balance & are affected if work, sleep, play is unbalanced. I remember that you cant just have any sleep medicine prescribed,but maybe you could ask your PM & kidney dr both about what would be safe to help you sleep. Also, I started taking tizanidine in late november & this week had to stop it because for me its increases neuropathy symptoms & is raising my bp, im 80% better. Please try not to worry it doesnt change things, praying for you( neck, sleep, kidney) & stay in touch here, we need your empathy here & of course your care!

Last edited by gmak; 02-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #39
Inactive
(male)

Gmak

Its funny that you should talk about "balance" within ones life. My rabbi is very big into things like giving support to those that are in need. That need for when someone is going thru health issues etc. But it is not just directed at those that are ill. Think about it. If you are a "caregiver" for someone that is ill, then you too need time for prayer. Being a caregiver is stressful like when taking care of an aging parent. And he believes that we should pray for those that are giving medical attention to those that are in need of help. Those that are "health professionals."

So yesterday he held a class about "mental health" and how our religion views mental health. You can see things written thousands years ago that can still be applied in todays world.

So the class yesterday dealt with Mental health. And then there will be a class next month on "caregives" for those that are taking care of someone that is ill. I took care of both of my parents at the end of life and it was an extremely difficult time as caregiver. Not knowig what to do? Am I making the right medical decisions too?

But my religion believes in Mind-Body-Spiritual connection. It is all interrelated. And yes it is important to maintain "balance in your life." Time for work. Time to sleep; time to enjoy. When one gets off balance it affectes the others

That is where I am now. Emotionally off balance trying to deal with health issues. Thus affecting my sleep. And I am sleep deprived at this point. And I feel physically exhausted.

Its now a matter of trying to find that balance so that there can be harmony. The important thing to remember is "moderation."

Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Unfortunately, you don't have pain in moderation, and your physical health is such that it occupies most of your thoughts and activity...so, it is pretty hard to try to keep things in balance. But it certainly doesn't hurt to think about this concepts intellectually even if you can't really put them into practice.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
Unfortunately, you don't have pain in moderation, and your physical health is such that it occupies most of your thoughts and activity...so, it is pretty hard to try to keep things in balance. But it certainly doesn't hurt to think about this concepts intellectually even if you can't really put them into practice.
Hi pebble, Of course, I took your pain & health issues into consideration & i think that even with constant severe pain we still want to be in balance so that we dont suffer any more ill effects of being unbalanced, your rabbi is very wise & you temple congregation must be so thankful that he takes the Word & applies it to todays everyday problems with teachings that help everyone even pain patients. Its an eternal question in my opinion, is it the pain that keeps pain patients from sleeping or is it because we cant get physically exhausted but mentally & emotionally exhausted, the side effects of intractable pain, or the side effects of the medicine? Anyway, I hope that you find peace from the worry & pray that God will give you rest!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #42
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User

So sorry for you. I can't imagine. Just keep a journal of how you feel. especially your neck, and headaches for whiplash. Include any difficulty with focusing and reading. It will be difficult to decide what pain is from what situation. Be diligent with all of the pain and where is it and the type along with a pain scale. You should also keep track of any meds that you take and if they help. Good lucvk Gentle hug

Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #43
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
So sorry for you. I can't imagine. Just keep a journal of how you feel. especially your neck, and headaches for whiplash. Include any difficulty with focusing and reading. It will be difficult to decide what pain is from what situation. Be diligent with all of the pain and where is it and the type along with a pain scale. You should also keep track of any meds that you take and if they help. Good lucvk Gentle hug
Things we so quickly forget. We all should get in a habit doing above.

Hope today and night are better for you, pebble.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #44
Inactive
(male)

I agree that at times it is difficult to keep things in balance 100% of the time. Life is a journey of ups and downs. And when we see that one aspect of our life is causing us to be "out of balance" then we have to be aware that those imbalances do exist. And then try to figure out how to bring ourselves back into balance as much as possible.

When I find that I am overwhelmed with physical pain then my emotional and spiritual side will be affected. So how do I bring myself back into balance?

For me and this is what works for me, is via prayer. Our sabbath teaches us that it is during the Sabbath that we put everything else aside, the stresses from the past week etc and concentate on the here and now and to pray. so thru prayer I can find myself getting back into harmony. I am able to let go and I find that mind-body-spiritual connection again. A feeling of being FREE. We sometimes have to make a conscious effort to first realize when we are out of sync and then find whatever works for each of us to be able to return to that sense of inner peace. And it should not be reserved for only when the Sabbath is upon us. When we are out of sync we need to find a few minutes each day , that time alone to regroup and get back into balance. so it is at times best to find that alone time and search for that inner peace each an every day.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
gmak (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I agree that at times it is difficult to keep things in balance 100% of the time. Life is a journey of ups and downs. And when we see that one aspect of our life is causing us to be "out of balance" then we have to be aware that those imbalances do exist. And then try to figure out how to bring ourselves back into balance as much as possible.
When I find that I am overwhelmed with physical pain then my emotional and spiritual side will be affected. So how do I bring myself back into balance?
For me and this is what works for me, is via prayer. Our sabbath teaches us that it is during the Sabbath that we put everything else aside, the stresses from the past week etc and concentate on the here and now and to pray. so thru prayer I can find myself getting back into harmony. I am able to let go and I find that mind-body-spiritual connection again. A feeling of being FREE. We sometimes have to make a conscious effort to first realize when we are out of sync and then find whatever works for each of us to be able to return to that sense of inner peace. And it should not be reserved for only when the Sabbath is upon us. When we are out of sync we need to find a few minutes each day , that time alone to regroup and get back into balance. so it is at times best to find that alone time and search for that inner peace each an every day.

Hi pebble, Prayer is the answer for me too, thank you!

Last edited by gmak; 02-03-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: wording

Reply Reply