It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #46
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Follow up on car accident

I just happened to call my automobile insurance carrier this morning to discuss getting an MRI of the cervical spine.
There may be some "NEW" symptoms that I have noticed such as intermittent numbness in my hands and spams/ involuntary jerky type of movements in my shoulders/upper arms.

So I was told that the doctors office has to send over request for MRI including the necssary codes and notes to support reason for MRI. She didint think it was an issue in getting the approval for the MRI based on my prior history.

But I questioned the deductible. The way it is set up is there is a $1,000 deductible then a 20% co-pay upto $5,000. Then after that the auto carrier pays 100%.
She indicated that since I am on SSDI and have a supplement to Medicare that everything goes thru the auto carrier and whatever balances there are they are billed to my supplemental insurance carrier. I dont need to contact my supplemental carrier since everything initially goes thru my auto carrier. They just see that approval was given by the auto carrier and are being balanced bill. She said that in effect I wont have any out of pocket expenses. I hope she is right on this. Has anyone ever done this before in billing their auto carrier first; then their medicare/supplement carrier billed as secondary carriers?

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #47
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

GMAK:

I forgot to address these issues of the "jerks" that I seem to get. First of all it does seem to only happen to my upper extremities meaning my arms. It does not happen to my whole body at one time.

I guess you can say its like you are surprised the way your body in my case my arms would response when not expecting it. They are to totally INVOLUNTARY in that it seems to be happening when I am ly8ng down watching televisiion. All of a sudden my arm will react or move sometimes like a severe jolt that comes out of the clear blue.

It seems like it can happen several times during the course of the evening then at times it may happen only once or so here and there during the course of the night. It catchs me by surprise an unexpected movement.

Not sure what to make of it. Can there be something pressing against a nerve. Its like picture when you are in the doctors office and they do the knee jerk test. They hit your knee or the knee area to see what reaction you get in the knee after hitting you with that rubber mallet. Sometimes I have a tendency to have a lack of response when they do this but other times my knee will sometimes respond to the test and sort of kick out. Does that makes sense the way I am describing it?

Again it happens on and off. I wouldn't question it if it only happened once, but it was on a number of ocassions that I've noticed it. Not sure if it s something that will continue to happen or will somehow stop. Just wanted to address things. I've found if something happens repeatedly its best not to ignore the symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #48
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Im sorry pebble that I just saw this post! I have read alot about jerks when reading about arachnoiditis, not that i think you have it just when i would see "cramps, spasms, myoclonic jerks" i thought it just meant muscle spasms. Then, I started having charley horses & thought ok spasms & cramps must mean charley horses. Then, i started having involuntary jerks like i was startled involving my neck, then just one arm, or my leg. So, when there is nerve compression or nerve irritation or nerve damage that is when these neurological neuropathy jerks happen pain is the sensory neuropathy like numness but the motor nerve neuropathy causes these jerks, cramps, spasms. You are certainly well versed in muscle spasms & i trust that you know it isnt a muscle. However, one interesting thing that has happened with me is that they have stopped since i discontinued tizanadine along with that vibrating buzzing & the electrical bolts in feet. How are they now, i havent talked to you in a few days?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #49
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Follow up on car accident to

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I just happened to call my automobile insuring, missed you!ance carrier y help from t be be restored. ee ifto she the secondarthis morning to discuss getting an MRI of the cervical spine.
There may be some "NEW" symptoms that I have noticed such as intermittent numbness in my hands and spams/ involuntary jerky type of movements in my shoulders/upper arms.
So I was told that the doctors office has to send over request for MRI including the necssary codes and notes to support reason for MRI. She didint think it was an issue in getting the approval for the MRI based on my prior history.
But I questioned the deductible. The way it is set up is there is a $1,000 deductible then a 20% co-pay upto $5,000. Then after that the auto carrier pays 100%.
She indicated that since I am on SSDI and have a supplement to Medicare that everything goes thru the auto carrier and whatever balances there are they are billed to my supplemental insurance carrier. I dont need to contact my supplemental carrier since everything initially goes thru my auto carrier. They just see that approval was given by the auto carrier and are being balanced bill. She said that in effect I wont have any out of pocket expenses. I hope she is right on this. Has anyone ever done this before in billing their auto carrier first; then their medicare/supplement carrier bille.
Pebble now i just saw this post! I had 7 days of horror & 4 of those i couldnt use nookcolor b/c the charger broke & too bad to do pc. So, im glad that you most likely wont have any out of pocket expenses. When is your MRI? I know that you love them
so!Lol But, seriously it is very important to find out what happened in the wreck b/c
your neck went forward then backwards really fast & with horsepower behind it. Also,
the secondary help pain relief was great & i want to see if that can be restored, like
you do. Let me know how things are going, i missed talking to you & wondered what was happening.

Last edited by gmak; 02-16-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: half sentence didnt submit

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #50
(female)

KG5634 HB UserKG5634 HB User
Re: Car accident

I am SOOO very sorry you have been going through all of this. I had a similar car accident almost 2 yrs ago. I stopped abruptly because the car in front of me almost missed his left turn so stopped short. I guess a few seconds went by and the next thing we knew was BAMM. A lady slammed smack in the back of my car, never hit her breaks, didn't try to ever away, didn't try to go in the right lane...nothing, just slammed into us...my daughter who was almost 10yrs old was with me. So when she hit us, I instinctly turned my head to the right to see my daughter and tried to put my right hand out to her...even though she was in the back seat. The next day I was sort of sore and the day after that even more so. Then the next day was terrible and I was literally in agony for over a week. Every muscle in my body hurt , my neck was a wreck, and the headaches were unbearable. After numerous calls to my idiot dr, he finally agreed to send me for a scan of my head since we were over 6 weeks out and I thought my head was going to explode everyday not to mention I was nauseated...uuuhg. I have major back problems as well and was so concerned about how it would affect it.mi actually am still having neck issue almost two yrs later...I need to go to get a scan. My neck muscles still get extremely fatigued, headaches, PAIN, stiffness, crunching sound. I'm sure you are able to differentiate what is the old pain and what is the new. You know how you were feeling before and how you were feeling better. Really keep an eye on the slightest things that might be different. I am soo sorry because I know how something like that can set your progress back, and if you're like me, I'll take any bit of progress I can! I am also on pretty hefty amounts of pain medication..100 mcg .fentynal patch, tizanidine 4x a day, roxicodone 4x's a day, mobic....nice right, wish I didn't have to. So of curse whe I got hit, I really couldn't take any more than I already was. I wondered then and now if that pain med actually works for the neck pain. Good luck and hope things work out.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #51
Inactive
(male)

Gmak:

Not much occurring on the MRI I am waiting for the pre-cert. So hopefully the MRI will be done shortly.

I agree with the impact my neck did go forward then back again. Dont forget I got hit in the rear then hit the car in front of me so there were 2 impacts.

I have been living off of the oxycodone and tizanidine. At times it really affects me to the point I dont want to drive. I can take the medication and feel ok from it, but 1 when driving my neck really feels tight to begin with, BUT then if I am at home and on the computer all of a sudden it hits me and I can't keep awake. It get extremely drowsy to the point of almost falling asleep at the computer. So I am worried that this will happen if and when I am driving. So I avoid it.

I have been keeping a record log of when and what times I take the oxycodone and tizanidine. I do this since at times if I rely on my memory sometimes I forget the time. The oxycodone can be take 1 tablet every 6 hours. I am afraid of taking it too early.

But I have been so tired. Dont know if it caught up with me but I sleep in spurts. Friday and today Saturday I have slept the time away. Sleeping most of Friday away and slept most of Saturday morning. I just cant get into gear. Dont know if its the medication doing it to me or a combination of the 2.

Will keep you posted on the MRI when it is to be done and the outcome.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #52
Facilitator
(female)

I guess that the PM dr didnt up your pump for the neck since it was done for thoracic & lumbar, i wonder if you need to take a stronger dose of tizanadine or a different muscle relaxer. I have a bone spur shaped like an arrow that displaces my spinal cord & once i had symptoms i couldnt turn my neck to even drive so i had deep myofascial release massage & it never came back but with being evaluated for a new injury & add in the old & you would have to get your drs approval definitely! I did remember the double impact & thats what i meant, one is bad enough but two! This will get figured out I hope that it just resolves but maybe a different medicine that would work because its new but wont give you the side effects, can you take codeine?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #53
Inactive
(male)

It has been a horrible few days. This morning was the first time that I got up to get out. I had to since I needed to get to the food store.

I have felt an extra strain on the neck lately while I am driving. And those involuntary movements are driving me nuts. Now I get it at times in my legs but more so the upper extremities.

I can be lying down and actually be dozing off when all of a sudden there is an involuntary movement in my arms; like a jolt causing me to jump a little and wake me up. I never know when the movements will happen but it seems to be happening more so when I am lying down trying to get some sleep.

I am not sure why the past few days I have not been able to move. I actually havent taken the oxycodone or tizanidine in a few days. But I would wake up in the morning then figure I still have a littel time before i get up and before I know it it is several hours later. Not sure if the medication is doing this to me or not.

But felt like I've been in a fog lately.

As to what meds I can take not sure because of the kidney factor.

Still waiting to hear about the pre-cert for the MRI from the auto accident. This will get resolved sooner or later.

The neck I was told I was getting secondary effects from the Pump Implant so I cant rely on that for relief.

Hopefully this week I'll have some sort of answer on whats going on.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Was hoping to read better news, Pebble. Have u considered the ER to see if they will do an MRI?

If there is anything I can do to help, lmk. You certainly did not need that accident!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #55
Inactive
(male)

I was asked at the time of the accident if I wanted to be checked out. I refused.

I'm not sure what to make of the neck. Today isn't bad. But the other days really bothered me. And the Involuntary Movements I think they started after the accident. I can't say if they are related to the accident or not since I don't know what is causing them.

But as I've said before I was getting relief in the neck from the implant before the accident but that seemed to stop after the accident. I can see my head going back and forth from the jolt so tough to say what it did to my neck.

I've had more stiffness in my hands too since the accident. A few occasions of numbness in the hands/arms but only occurred a few times.

I dont know what to think anymore or where to turn. I dread the MRI again. More later when I can think clearly.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #56
Facilitator
(female)

Pebble i wrote all about the involuntary jerks on one of your threads, health insurance, maybe. Did you see it ? If not i can repeat it here.
Edit: it was this thread! Duh! Sorry. Re reading about it for you gleening for possible info, will let you know & meanwhile does the pm know about the jerks yet? NS?

Last edited by gmak; 02-17-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: edit

Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #57
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello. You had a whiplash. Your neck wasn't that great before, and usually whiplash damaged neck for life anyway(most of the time) and the pain stays for life.

I agree, you didn't need that car accident. But who plans those things? It also happened to me and I didn't need it either. It more or less destroyed my life.

I see cars as monsters. If you were in a wagon you couldn't get a whiplash and so no pain in the neck for life. Wagons cannot cause such injury as whiplash. It all started with the invention of cars.

Back and forth with the neck...Forget that your neck will be what it used to be. That is what I was told by one doctor, well, I could not believe it also, was shocked.
Most doctors said I will be fine, but no. It just never goes away when your neck goes back and forth.

You can only blame the car's inventor.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #58
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I was asked at the time of the accident if I wanted to be checked out. I refused.
I'm not sure what to make of the neck. Today isn't bad. But the other days really bothered me. And the Involuntary Movements I think they started after the accident. I can't say if they are related to the accident or not since I don't know what is causing them.
But as I've said before I was getting relief in the neck from the implant before the accident but that seemed to stop after the accident. I can see my head going back and forth from the jolt so tough to say what it did to my neck.
I've had more stiffness in my hands too since the accident. A few occasions of numbness in the hands/arms but only occurred a few times.
I dont know what to think anymore or where to turn. I dread the MRI again. More later when I can think clearly.
Hi pebble, I have been off the board for few days & wondering if the neck symptoms, jerks, lightheadedness etc have improved & is the MRI scheduled, if you have been to the dr appt yet? Hope you are better! Seems long time no "talk"!Lol

Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #59
Inactive
(male)

gmak:

I havent been on that much. I still get the involuntary movements. Sometimes it is worse then others but still there. Also on occasions Ive felt stiffness maybe numbness in the arms.
I find it difficult driving because of the neck issues. I dont know if its because of the position that I am in while driving or what but it really bothers me I would say at the back of the neck about where the shoulders are about to begin. It seems tight and bothersome especially while driving.

MRI is still pending authorization and pre-certs. Needed the doctors notes in order to get the MRI done. I hopefully should have the necessary information for the MRI to be done I am hoping in the next week or so.

Ive been relying on pain meds for the neck issue and at times back off of it because of the side effects from the meds.

Will keep you posted as to what happens. Hopefully sooner rather then later.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #60
Facilitator
(female)

Pebble, I am hoping this settles down, i looked up ramipril & there were other ACE inhibitors listed but the side effects of ramipril were hard to diffirentiate from diabetic symptoms & side effects from narcotic, pump meds & kidney disease in general. Is there a chance the stiffness, numbness in hands could be fluid retention esp since the ramipril is stopped & hows the bp off the medicine? Of all of us, the neck pain & neuropathy symptoms are certainly "founded" with the amount of surgeries, rods, etc but i wonder what the MRI will reveal since after the wreck is when they got worse. Have the sleeping for " days" or longer than usual improved? The general " not having as good of days" subsided in the least? It sounds like no but i have & will keep praying because you were doing better until the wreck. Dr appt this week or next? All my best hopes to you & if wishing made it so you would be great! Volunteering with your servant heart would be happening because i hope, wish & pray these things for you my valuable friend. I only wish i could help like you helped me one terrible night when you understood instead of feeling sorry for me with not a shred of empathy! I will never forget it!

Last edited by gmak; 02-21-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: wording

Reply Reply