It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

Beachgirly HB User
Spinal Hematoma?

Hi everyone. Sorry for everyone who suffers from back pain and problems. Has anyone ever had a hematoma after spinal surgery? I had a discectomy at L4-L5 and when I awoke in recovery my left side and leg was numb and my head hurt horribly. When the physical therapist tried to get me up to walk, my left foot/leg just kind of dragged along. They did an MRI the next day and then said another surgery was needed. That surgery uncovered a hematoma in the spinal cord with ruptured disc material. When I awoke in recovery, the headache was resolved but the leg still didn't work right. Does anyone know if the hematoma could have caused permanent nerve damage? Is that something that will over time get resolved? I appreciate all the information on this site.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Spinal Hematoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgirly View Post
Hi everyone. Sorry for everyone who suffers from back pain and problems. Has anyone ever had a hematoma after spinal surgery? I had a discectomy at L4-L5 and when I awoke in recovery my left side and leg was numb and my head hurt horribly. When the physical therapist tried to get me up to walk, my left foot/leg just kind of dragged along. They did an MRI the next day and then said another surgery was needed. That surgery uncovered a hematoma in the spinal cord with ruptured disc material. When I awoke in recovery, the headache was resolved but the leg still didn't work right. Does anyone know if the hematoma could have caused permanent nerve damage? Is that something that will over time get resolved? I appreciate all the information on this site.
Hi beachygirl, When i had lumbar laminectomies it was 6 months before the nerve symptoms subsided & a full year before i recovered all the feeling & function in the toes & other numb areas that i had from the 4 month pre op nerve compression. I had pieces of exploded discs in my spinal canal that were retrieved during my surgery & that may be why it took so long. How long has it been since the surgery?Of course listen to your dr but if i were you & i wasnt 100% sure that it was residual permanent nerve damage i would get a new MRI to check again for any signs of nerve compression especially if my nerves werent getting better day by day , little by little. I hope that you dont have any nerve damage & it improves for you like mine did for me.

Last edited by gmak; 01-31-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo, info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
(female)

Beachgirly HB User

Hi Gmak,

Thank you for the reply. The surgery was in July 2011 and the complication of the hematoma and another ruptured disc happened before I awoke in recovery. I have had constant pain since 2010. I do hope it gets better but lately feels like it is getting worse. Will see surgeon soon to go over recent MRI. Still have numb areas on back, hip, knee and lower leg, toes. Thanks again for your reply and well wishes.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgirly View Post
Hi Gmak,

Thank you for the reply. The surgery was in July 2011 and the complication of the hematoma and another ruptured disc happened before I awoke in recovery. I have had constant pain since 2010. I do hope it gets better but lately feels like it is getting worse. Will see surgeon soon to go over recent MRI. Still have numb areas on back, hip, knee and lower leg, toes. Thanks again for your reply and well wishes.
Hi beachygirl, Pain "bites" & im truly sorry that its constant & will pray that you get relief. Have you looked up a dermatome map to see which lumbar level spinal nerve or nerves are affected? My L4, L5 & S1 have been causing probs for long time & now mouth, chest,
face, affected?? Arachnoiditis im guessing. I think pain is horrid but the increasing nerve "weirdness" seems more worrisome. I hope that when you see the dr that he will know what to do so that you dont suffer anymore. Thank you.

Last edited by gmak; 01-31-2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: sentence

Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

Beachgirly HB User

Well, MRI shows new slightly increased lordosis at L2-3 level with new mild central stenosis. Moderate subarticular recess stenosis bilaterally. Several scattered renal cysts. Mild granulation tissue at surgical area of L3, L4, L5, and S1. There is a benign hemangioma in the L2 vertebral body.

Anyone have any ideas on what this reflects? Surgeon wants me to have a CT of the lower spine and a MRI of cervical spine as this has been causing pain, muscle spasms, and stiffness since 2009.

Reply Reply