It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

lilbitmatthews HB User
Question Epidural injections in Thoracic spine

Has anyone had epidural injections in Thoracic Spine? If so did the first one work or did you have to have multiple injections? Scheduled to have my first one on Feb 11. I have had them in cervical and they worked temporary, but had to have surgery. The ones in lower back did not work at all, and the ones in my SI Joint did not work. Also scheduled to have another in SI Joint on Feb 11 with the one in Thoracic Spine. Guess I am wondering what the success rate is, my doctor says 80%. Just never had that kind of luck before. Always ended up with surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Epidural injections in Thoracic spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbitmatthews View Post
Has anyone had epidural injections in Thoracic Spine? If so did the first one work or did you have to have multiple injections? Scheduled to have my first one on Feb 11. I have had them in cervical and they worked temporary, but had to have surgery. The ones in lower back did not work at all, and the ones in my SI Joint did not work. Also scheduled to have another in SI Joint on Feb 11 with the one in Thoracic Spine. Guess I am wondering what the success rate is, my doctor says 80%. Just never had that kind of luck before. Always ended up with surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This hint by my PM years ago made a huge difference in relief from ESI's, he said that he puts the steroid into the epidural "space" & he justs floats it around the nerve root so the longer i rest, minimum 72hrs,the more the nerve stays saturated & steroid acts to reduce inflammation, pain. The more activity the more the heart beats increasing circulation & the faster the absorbtion of the steroid away from the nerve & the dr told me to apply ice packs to injection are 20mins every hour or two for 24hrs careful not to freeze skin, unless ice increased pain. So, I was a couch potato for 3days after this instruction from my dr & the ESI's worked much better than before.

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
lilbitmatthews (02-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

Helen6090 HB UserHelen6090 HB User

Hi, I have to have my first spinal injection on Monday 11th February. I'm worried as I've never had it done before. I have to drive each day and have lots of questions to ask about when I can drive after it etc. hope yours go well.

The following user gives a hug of support to Helen6090:
lilbitmatthews (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
(female)

lilbitmatthews HB User

Mine is scheduled for Feb 11 also. I really do not know what to expect. I have had them in my neck, lower back and si joint and they never worked. I hate to be negative, but that has been my experience. I am also having another one in the si joint as there isn't anything else that has been recommended for that. I hope all goes well with your injections and I will keep you in my prayers as I hope mine works as well. Take care.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Helen ~ You will probably be told that you can resume your normal activities the following day. However, if at all possible, you will have a better chance of the medication working if you can stay off your feet for the first 72 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Helen6090 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I've had injections three times. The first two times, I ejections worked great and provided better than expected pain relief. Unfortunately, the third one didn't work, at all. Good luck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
lilbitmatthews (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
(female)

lilbitmatthews HB User

So what are your options now or has it been a year?
I was told I could have one every two weeks but no more than three a year and then we would have to go see a surgeon

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

For what it's worth...some doctors say three injections every six months and some do it more often.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
lilbitmatthews (02-09-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
(female)

Smile Re: Epidural injections in Thoracic spine

My Consultant said 1 now and no more for at least 6 months. I'll find out more tomorrow when I go to the Hospital. Will I be able to get up and walk out normally after it? My husband is coming with me so he can drive

Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
(female)

lilbitmatthews HB User

Helen, How are you doing after you injection?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
(male)

barca999 HB User

are any of you having these injections for centrally protruding or extruding discs? or do most of you get these in T-spine for nerve root issues (pain wrapping around rib cage)

I hope we all heal soon.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbitmatthews View Post
Helen, How are you doing after you injection?
Hi, I got to the hospital and they said they couldn't do it I was so disappointed I could've cried.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Oh no Helen,,,why couldn't they do injections? What happened?
Just FYI,,,my dr will allow injections every four weeks, no more than three during a twelve month period.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrfli1 View Post
Oh no Helen,,,why couldn't they do injections? What happened?
Just FYI,,,my dr will allow injections every four weeks, no more than three during a twelve month period.
Hi, miscommunication between Consultant and Doctor. I have to work with the Public system so I can't really scream and shout. I did say that I was looking for the injection ASAP and Physio. Now he said the injection will be 2-3 months but I have an appt for Physio in 3 weeks which is good. I'm not very well this week but taking it easy

Last edited by Helen6090; 02-13-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
(female)

lilbitmatthews HB User

I am so sorry to hear about that Helen. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I did have mine on Monday and I have been laying since I got home. Someone posted they were told 72 hours of rest is best. I got a little frustrated, because I woke up in pain early this morning. Was hoping it would be better by now. Maybe a little more time. Thinking positive. I wish you all the best.

Reply Reply