It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Help! Pain◊30yrs, narcotics & heart problems

gmak-

I too have experienced this annoying loud(seems loud to me)pounding of my heart at times. I notice it especially when I lay my head down on side with my ear to pillow, I sometimes just have to lay on my back, I notice it becomes less noticeable after I take my dose of Klonapin, and tenex.

My doctor says I have the heart function of a 14 y/o(lol) and it is nothing I should worry about-it just can sound so loud to me and I swear I can feel it too!

But the 1/2 klonapin in am and 1/2 at 3pm and 1mg in evening with 1mg tenex does seem to help or ease my sense of my heart pounding loud.

I tell ya, if it's not one thing it's two!

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
gmak (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi BB07, Thanks for the info & this pounding is so bothersome! I would love to hear from my dr that its nothing to worry about! He gave me alprazolam for it & like clonazepam they both will stop it because they are benzodiazepenes but the tenex & tenormin are different meds one an agonist the other an antagonist. Im having an agonizing time antagonizing over which T medicine i need!Lol We both wear the fentanyl patch too & thanks for letting me know. Im going to ask cardiologist as soon as i can get a good enough back day to go there! Im really glad that your heart is healthy!

Last edited by gmak; 07-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Gmak-

I take the tenex cause I seem to have a lil ADHD going on, I can't get the thoughts in my brain to slow down and can really drive me bananas! Thus the pounding heart in my ears! The tenex helps slow things down and lower my BP during these episodes; this also residual effects of brain injury from injury that started all this stuff.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BB07
agelbert (07-09-2013), gmak (07-09-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Help! Pain◊30yrs, narcotics & side effects

Interesting thread. About two years ago, I began to notice the heart pounding. I'd be doing nothing, thinking about nothing and all of a sudden my heart would be pounding. Mine got very bad as well, and my heart tests were fine. In my research, I found an interesting article on the enteric nervous system. Possibly a branch of the autonomic nervous system. to me it sounded promising although the research is somewhat new.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxerluver For This Useful Post:
agelbert (07-11-2013), gmak (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi boxer, Its been constant since sep 2012, it drives me nuts? Enteric is the right word? Ive only heard autonomic, sympathetic, parasympathetic, somatic and peripheral regarding the "other" nervous system besides central nervous system. I just want it to stop, oh, the pounding not my heart!Lol. Thanks, i will check it. Did yours stop, the pounding i mean? For example right now i feel extremely tired & ive been lazing around doing nothing all day & its because my heart has been pounding at rest all day even with the atenolol/tenormin. So, do i take alprazolam when i already feel tired? I will probably have to. Never fast or slow or irregular heartbeat just a normal heartbeat that beats so hard i can hear it, see it because my chest actually moves & feel it in my head, feet, hands, chest & in my back scar. This bites! whatever it is! arrgh!

Last edited by gmak; 07-11-2013 at 12:19 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
agelbert (07-11-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #21
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

Gmak, have they tried you on propranolol for that? Its a beta blocker also, but my doctor told me it blocks the adrenaline from getting to your heart and therefore blocks the "fight or flight" response. I hope you find some answers soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Paininohio For This Useful Post:
gmak (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
(male)

innpain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else with chronic pain on narcotics ever had pounding heartbeat? If so, what happened? Did it go away by itself, was it transient, or a one time thing? Also, Did anyone have their pulse or blood pressure rise due to extreme pain?
I cycled off OxyContin after fourteen years to Hydromorph Contin this past February 2013, and suffered the heart beat in my left ear for almost two months.
My doctor immediately put me one Metoprolol Tartrate and Clonazepam which helped but it appears in hindsight it was something caused by the change and my own lack of faith in the new pain medications which caused pain and anxiety.

Clearly I was not looking forward to the switch, didnít want it and was scared. I will make cycles switching pain medications now every few years so as not to become so dependent on a single pain medication ever again.

It was a fighting experience lasting about two months that again in hindsight someone, a doctor or such should have forewarned me about.
Moe

The Following User Says Thank You to innpain For This Useful Post:
gmak (07-17-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Facilitator
(female)

Hi pain in ohio! Thank you, i took it for migraines years ago but i dont want to go all through the motions of the halter & i could just call cardiologist & ask for inderal & i surely might. But, i can hear that "halter monitor" calling my name if i do!

Last edited by gmak; 07-12-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gmak-

That's exactly how I felt that paininohio and agelbert mentions-the "fight or flight"

Boxluver-
How strange you said that-autonomic nervous system
-because I recall my doctor using those words when he was trying to explain this to me in regard to my brain injury and neurological damage. He told me is surprised I am not even more symptomatic due to the damage caused by the impact to my head/brain.

Innpain-

Does that really work for you-I mean changing to a different La med every couple years-I was wondering because won't you be dependant anyhow? My concern is getting adequate pain relief-which I do on Duragesic 100mcg patch and don't plan on changing. But you have me wondering about this theory.

Agelbert-

That article you suggested to Gmak to Google-hope you don't mind but took upon myself to google it too-Interesting read! I pinned it so I can go back to it quickly.

thanks!

Last edited by BB07; 07-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to BB07:
gmak (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
(male)

backman01 HB Userbackman01 HB User

Ive been on Percocet for years,one day my heart went to 180-210 bpm,was admitted to hospital dr said I need metopol ? to slow heart down will have stroke if let go,the percs should slow down my heart but doesn't.so when my heart pounds I take this pill,3 x per day. failed low back-l-4-5-failed s c s-failed injections, have problems walking now lower legs painful,weak,stiff. Rick n c pa

The following user gives a hug of support to backman01:
agelbert (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
(male)

agelbert HB Useragelbert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backman01 View Post
Ive been on Percocet for years,one day my heart went to 180-210 bpm,was admitted to hospital dr said I need metopol ? to slow heart down will have stroke if let go,the percs should slow down my heart but doesn't.so when my heart pounds I take this pill,3 x per day. failed low back-l-4-5-failed s c s-failed injections, have problems walking now lower legs painful,weak,stiff. Rick n c pa
I am concerned with your lower leg pain. If there is swelling, it could be associated with poor pumping of your left heart ventricle (the one that sends the blood all the way to your toes). In other words, the medicine to keep your heart from palpitating (squeezing hard to pump) may be overdoing it.

They might lower your dosage but please do not do anything on your own without medical advice. Swollen lower legs can be a symptom of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) or hear failure (poor ventricle pumping) or valve problems in your leg veins ( they don't close well and there is some back flow - this requires raising your legs when at rest and special therapeutic hose type socks to keep the swelling down).

Be safe. God Bless You.

The Following User Says Thank You to agelbert For This Useful Post:
gmak (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #27
Facilitator
(female)

Hi backman, Im sorry, i have heard that sometimes narcotics especially oxycodone act sort of like a stimulant on some people & did you mean metoprolol! I think? I too have failed L4-S1 surgs & epidural steroid injs didnt help either. Im sorry about the spinal cord stimulator, is that why you have leg pain & mobility problems or from the back injury itself? I have a friend that had similar severe pain after fusions but his works tremendously but his is placed peripherally, no electrodes inside spinal cord. Thank you, it helps to talk with others that understand! God bless you.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #28
(male)

innpain HB User

Dependant for pain relief!

When using the same Opiate for pain relief over a very long period of time you become accustomed to that level of treatment and as such require Mg. Increases or at the very least it seems as if the medication is not providing the same level of relief as when first started.
Cycling medications, gives you the chance to try other medications while reducing your Mg’s as when switching to another pain medication its common practice to reduce the equivalent Mg’s from 25% to 50%

My problem came about because I stayed with a single pain medication for far too long allowing myself and my body to become completely dependant on.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
(male)

backman01 HB Userbackman01 HB User

my legs don't swell,they checked pressure to feet that's good,l-4-5 root scarring causing leg pain weakness,tired lower legs, Rick

Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Facilitator
(female)

Hi backman, I wondered when you say nerve root scarring if you had a recent MRI done & if it says anything in it like " clumping of nerve roots" or arachnoiditis?

Reply Reply