PDA

View Full Version : Quick lab test question

midwest1
03-06-2003, 01:39 PM
What does "TSH W/REFLEX TO FT4" mean? I haven't seen the terminology using "W/REFLEX" anyplace else.
That's the only test my quack ... *ahem* I mean doctor ... ordered, and the value is 4.83. The reference range isn't stated on the report, but he told me it's 0.5-5.0.
Thanks.

adalida455
03-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Hello,
It was explained to me this way.
TSH with Reflex T4 means a TSH test and if the results are less than or greater than the test range, (usually 0.1-5.0 depending on your lab) they want a Free T4 done in addition to the TSH.
So it looks like they did not do a T4 on you because your TSH fell within "normal range" which from what I have been hearing at 4.82 may still be too high.
With a TSH that high, more tests should be done and
you should probably be looking for a new doc who does not totally rely on lab values.
I am still looking for a "good doctor" for my daughter and it has been quite a battle so far. I feel the term "good doctor" is an oxymoron right now in my vocabulary.
Good Luck to you.

------------------
Adalida

midwest1
03-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Thank you for such a clear explanation, Adalida. Good docs are very few and far between.

You first posted about your daughter before I found this board, and I just caught up with that thread today. I sense your frustration and love for your daughter. Please check out the link recommended to you for finding a 'top doc'. I chose one from that list near me, and she's even in my insurance plan. Won't be able to see her till next month. I hope she's worth the wait.

I know there's a good doctor out there somewhere for your daughter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her and you that you find him/her very soon. Please let her know we care about her.