PDA

View Full Version : MSM good for acne

acneattack
01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Are you guys getting sick of all my questions yet? LOL
I have came across a few websites that just rave about how MSM can help to clear up acne. I was just wondering if any of you have taken it and had good results, or if these companies are just trying to push thier products? And if you have had good success, how much do you take per day?
Thanks, and sorry for all these questions

------------------
Donna

scurvy
01-21-2003, 09:32 AM
whats MSM?

acneattack
01-21-2003, 09:44 AM
It's a natural supplement w/ a really long name, but mainly sulfur and is supposed to relieve acne by helping your skin carry out its detoxification role. I read somewhere that atheletes use it alot to relieve pain and stiffness in their joints.

------------------
Donna

BlueSprite555
01-21-2003, 04:08 PM
I took this for about 6-8 months a few years ago when it was the "craze" cure for acne (seems there is a new one every year)...anyway, it didn't do anything for my skin. I do run a lot though, and noticed it seemed to help make my legs stronger (although I didn't need to be stronger really) so that was just something I noticed on the side. I stopped taking it...nothing changed skinwise. The only thing that has totally helped my skin was giving up sugar, but I beleive that is because for me it activates some sort of oil production or stimulates hormones...I dunno...just not heating sugar helps infinitely. My boyfriend says it's like I have new skin on my face since I gave up sugar (I still eat fruit though)! :)

daylight568
01-21-2003, 04:22 PM
I take MSM regularly to prevent back pain and it does absolutely nothing for my skin but it IS a great cure for back pain.

acneattack
01-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Bummer :( and here I thought it might actually help.
Maybe everything I have read is old news.
Oh well,
thanks for your response

------------------
Donna

acneattack
01-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dsheldon3:
I take MSM regularly to prevent back pain and it does absolutely nothing for my skin but it IS a great cure for back pain.

I'm glad I asked, thanks for your response.
I still my use it to see if it helps my ankle. I broke it in the growth part when I was in the 8th grade, and had pins put in, and it still bothers me after a workout, so maybe it will at least help that :)

------------------
Donna