Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index

View Full Version : Benzoyl Peroxide

01-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Has anyone found that using Benzoyl Peroxide makes their acne worse?
Also, when you guys talk about using Benzoyl Peroxide - do you mean that you put it all over your face, or you just spot treat?

01-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Benzoyl peroxide has been the only topical that every works for me without the redness and flakiness that others cause. I am on a 20%, yes 20% BP gel that is created at a lab by my dermatologist and his team. At first I was a little sketchy about it since it is such a high percentage but it works so well and I have zero irritation. I even use Clean and Clear's Dual Action Moisturizer in the morning with salicylic acid .5% and with both of those I still don't get irritated. I usually just spread a THIN layer of the BP around my problem areas at night. I have been clear for about a month with the BP, 50 mg of spiro daily, and Yasmin bcp.

01-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I use clean & clear with 10% benzoyl peroxide and I use it to spot treat. It does help dry a pimple quicker but I don't know about putting it all over my face. That stuff can dry your skin, especially your cheeks.

02-02-2004, 11:21 AM
I tried to use BP many times, as I heard so much about its antibacterial properties, but it makes my skin really sore. My face gets rough, flaky and covered in loads of little spots. Most times I tried BP 5%, but even when I tried a lower concentration my skin would still get irritated. I won't be using it again.

02-02-2004, 11:35 AM
What's weird for me.. is that I used BP 10% all over for a long time, and I didn't see dramastic changes either way of good or bad.. then I started using it as a spot treatment and it actually made them scar! Hmm. I guess you could say I know longer use it!

02-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I've read that it's the most effective treatment for blackheads, but not for other kinds of acne. I use a 10% wash once a day and it seems to help, but not clear it up completely. I'm too old to use the kind you leave on your skin, but I seem to recall it helped in my youth.

02-02-2004, 08:08 PM
It only makes it worse when i use too high of a concentration and too much. I stick with 2.5% and it works with no irritation so i could probably even use the 5%, but nothing more. I use it all over my face.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!