PDA

View Full Version : Hammer toes ?

seashell1
07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Is there anything that can be done to help hammer toes without having surgery?

purplebee99
07-21-2004, 04:32 AM
It depends how severe the hammertoes are. It can either be rigid or flexible. If it's rigid most likely the only treatment that is available that will work is surgery. However, if it is flexible you can be prescribed othiotics (which are shoe inserts that help your feet), splint the hammertoes down, or have surgery. However, if you splint your toes it may take a long time before they are corrected, it won't be fixed right away. If you choose to have surgery the time it takes to heal depends on yourself. If it were to be rigid it can be anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months, and if it flexible it will recover faster. It also depends if the podiatrist needs to put a pin in your toe to keep them down. I think the best decision is surgery. I had hammertoe surgery less then two weeks ago, and I had flexible hammertoes that didnt need a pin. I'm up and walking around and have no swelling. I get the stitches removed today and I'm feeling great about my decision. I'm sorry I didn't get it earlier. But it also depends on the person.