Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index

View Full Version : Flagyl / Metronidazole???

06-19-2003, 08:06 PM
I've been having some issues with colitis that i think are caused by a bacteria.....even though they didn't find anything in their limited testing.
My doctor wrote me a 10 day 2x day prescription for Flagyl (Metronidazole) he says it shouldn't do me any harm, and if there's a parasite or bacteria in there it should wipe it out.

Has anyone had any experiences with this oral broad spectrum drug?

06-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi, I had to take Flagyl last summer for diaherria, and it worked wonders. It cleared up the infection and I haaven't even had so much as an upset stomach in a year. I continue to eat lots of fiber and take 2 tbsps. of flaxseed on my bran cereal every morning, even though it tastes like ****! Good luck!

06-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Flagyl is commonly used for people with C-diff or even suspected C-diff. It should help if there is anything causing some of your problems. You should consider eating plenty of yogurt too or taking acidophillis capsules to help keep your GI flora healthy.

06-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Yes i eat a lot of yogurt, and will probably take a supplement while on the flagyl.

I'm just worried it won't solve my problem and i'll be worse off ;-))

I think i might have Giardia or something bacterial, either that or something weird like Habba Syndrome or who knows what.

My D is watery and yellowish, If i bulk up and only eat a lot of soluble fiber it will bulk up to be more solid but still usually yellow.

06-20-2003, 07:03 PM
Flagyl was like poison to my body. My colorectal surgeon prescribed it for me after my hemorrhoidectomy 5 weeks ago. It gave me uncontrollable, explosive diarrhea. The diarrhea was yellow/orange as a result of the Flagly and stained anything it came into contact with. My urine was brownish and the smell was horrible, all do to Flagyl.
Just for good measure, I also got a yeast infection a week after I stopped taking it. I was very careful to eat yogurt with live cultures and I took probiotics after I finished the course of Flagyl...still got the yeast infection and mouth thrush. It may be a miracle drug for some, but it made my life misserable.

06-20-2003, 10:46 PM

well i've got symptom # 1 Dry mouth (Day 1)
I already had the explosive yellow/brown diarreah so i'm hoping that gets better not worse! We'll see i guess.

06-21-2003, 12:42 AM
I hope it gets better for you too, Suzy. Sorry, didn't mean to be the "little black raincloud", but I wanted to share my experience, in case you ran into problems. Sending healing thoughts your way...

06-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Day 2 of the Flagyl

So far so good...

Side effects: It makes me really tired, (slept 10 hours) and it's a little hard on the stomach (eat with solid food).

But no D yet today!!! ;-))
I'm so used to feeling empty my system feels kind of full. I ate risky today hopefully i don't pay.

06-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Day 3 and 4 of Flagyl

Still doing better, but have developed a yeast infection, made me feel like i had to vomit once after a heavy meal, eat lightly but eat something with this drug.

Will update side effects, results of drug more towards the end of the treatment.

06-24-2003, 10:13 PM
As you know Flagyl is a very strong- potent antiobiotic. I usually develop yeast/ candida infections on alot less strong antibiotic. But, you got to do what you have to do!!!

The probiotic supplements that helped me after a round of antibiotics are --- Probiotica, Primal Defense, and PB-8. I also sometimes need a supplement that kills the yeast before you use the probiotic supplement to re-balance your intestinal bacteria--- Caprylic acid, Nystatin, and Kolorex are all good.

If you develop Gastritis --- a good OTC remedy is Mastica--- mastic gum ---taken twice daily.

I certainly wish you well taking that drug --- the longest I have ever been able to take it is 7 days--- but we're all different!!!

God Bless--- Harry

06-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Wow, isn't that the nastiest antibiotic? I only lasted 6 days on Flagyl. It took at least a week to get it out of my body and then I had to deal with the yeast infection and thrush it induced.
I hope never to have to take Flagyl again.

Hang in there!

06-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts

Yeah i counted out the pills today to see how much longer i have, i have the whole weekend to go. I can't wait to be done. I ate a vegan soyburger with soycheese on a bun (something like real food yeah!) but the spices made my GERD say hello.

I'm definitely getting better i just hope it remains that way after the antibiotic (hmm i think you are right Harry and probiotics and diet will be very important there).

Harry what is your opinion on Kefir? I'd love to make my own at home, i'm thinking of ordering those grains.

06-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Suzy,
I think any soured dairy product like yogurt, buttermilk and kefir are good but the only one I eat daily is yogurt and I like Stonyfield Farm brand because they add 4 additional live active cultures to it. All yogurt takes 2 cultures to make and it uses most of the milk sugar (lactose) in the process. So, people that are lastose intolerant can usually tolerate yogurt.

I have never bought or used much kefir but some people on these boards thinks it's very good. How do you make it at home?

God Bless---Harry

06-26-2003, 11:26 AM
From what i've read Kefir is the original yogurt.
Modern day yogurt is made from selected strains of kefir grains, kefir grains are a natural mother culture that come from the Causcus mountains. There wasn't a lot of real lab sterility or science like in yogurt making. Apparently once you have the grains you simply put the grains (culture) in your milk let it sit out on the counter in a jar for a couple days and voila, kefir with beneficial bacteria. The kefir grains apparently will slowly multiply and you can eat them, freeze them or give them to your friends.

Posting website addresses that sell products is not allowed on the boards as per board guidelines and Posting policy.
Please read these rules.

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 06-26-2003).]

06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
My wife was on Flagyl for C-diff a few years back. It got rid of the C-diff but she relapsed and took the c-diff angain and was cured and hasn't had a relapse since.

06-26-2003, 03:11 PM
I did a search on How to make Kefir and Kefir grains.

The stuff from the store tastes pretty good but I'm not sure how they make it. The whole point of making it from the grains is that it is a natural science.
The grains are a natural (not man made) mother culture that can't be duplicated with science. Kefir powders, mixes etc aren't the same and avoid them.

The grains will last forever, they don't ever run out, and they don't decline in beneficial bacteria or get contaminated by bacteriophage (bad bacteria). That supposedly is the totally cool thing about them. They are a natural self propagating product that is safe and remains safe to use.

The only problem is getting the grains is a pain. Some people will give them to you but they need to live closeby. (they actually have a couple nonprofit networks setup for this).

You can buy them online!!!

[This message has been edited by moderator4 (edited 06-26-2003).]

kiki lou
06-26-2003, 05:08 PM
I make kefir. There's a guy named Dom in Australia who will send you grains. Just look for him on Google. I make mine with goat milk and another kind with apple juice--makes a nice non-dairy breakfast brew, similar to beer, without the alcohol content.

The kefir in the store is next to useless, as are 99% of store brand yogurts. It's easy, BTW, to make your own yogurt. I do that, too.

Good luck,

06-26-2003, 06:09 PM
I made my own yogurt too, but i didn't like it, and the results were less than stellar, and required too much attention.

Kefir is brainless ;-))

Did you get your grains from Dom?

kiki lou
06-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Yes. They take a little while to come back to life, but within 2 weeks, I was cranking out 1/2 cup per day of goat kefir.

I make my yogurt according to the specifications for the specific carbohydrate diet. I even use the recommended yogurt maker. Culture it for 24 hours, then stick in the fridge. I love the plain yogurt with a little honey on top. YUM

There is a kefir making group on yahoo. It is run by Dom. I'm sure you could find someone close by who would send you grains.

Happy culturing!

06-26-2003, 11:00 PM
I didn't find anyone close by, that was the problem, are you close by?

kiki lou
06-27-2003, 07:28 AM

Nope, sorry. However, I'm sure they'd be fine overnighted with an ice pack. If you want to pay the $$, I'll be glad to send you some. We'd have to "do the deal" over at the yahoo group, however.

BTW, Dom's grains are $15, takes about 3 weeks to get to you.

Take care,

06-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Grpaefruit seed extract will kill the yeast. Of course, you will feel worse before you feel better. It is easier to get control of the yeast infection symptoms using a med while starting on the GSE.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!