PDA

View Full Version : Celeriac... instead of potatoes?

justanothagirl
02-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Anybody ever tried this? I had some celeriac yesterday for the first time ever and I couldnt help noticing how much it tastes like potatoes. Is it healthy and okay for weight loss? Because I don't allow myself to have potatoes but I figured maybe I could eat celeriac as though it's potatoes... Id on't know lol do you think its better than potatoes? And a good choice for me?

LS289
02-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I have no idea what that is!? Does it look like a potato? A vegetable?

Lenin
02-07-2005, 05:53 AM
justanothergirl,

I don't find that it tastes much like potato, but I like it.
Trouble for me is that it's hard to find and expensive.
Give me those Idaho Potatoes at 5 pounds for $.99 anyday!:D

(I guess as long as low carbbers bash the lowly potato, they'll stay REAL cheap:D:D, along with rice and pasta!)

justanothagirl
02-07-2005, 09:27 AM
lol No it doesnt look like potato at all. But it tastes like a vegetable version of potatoes somehow when cooked lol. Just with more fiber and water I think.
Here they're in season so they're cheap now. :) When its cut into pieces and cooked it looks like potatoes though. Sort of.

justanothagirl
02-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Wow!!! You even have celeriac chips recipes on the internet!! I'm going to try them but instead of frying them, I'll put them in the oven. Then I'll just be eating vegetable chips. :)

justanothagirl
02-10-2005, 03:56 AM
and you can make mashed 'potatoes' with them!!

auntjudyg
02-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Is it healthy and okay for weight loss?
It's got about half the calories and carbs of the potato, almost double the protein and potassium, and is higher in many vitamins and minerals. One drawback is that it is quite high in sodium.