PDA

View Full Version : What is good with cottage cheese?

WhiskersOnKittens
02-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone,
I am really trying to clean up my eating habits, and I've heard that cottage cheese is very healthy. I remember not liking it from my childhood, but I thought maybe my tastes had changed, and so I went out and bought some. It is tolerable, but I still don't ENJOY eating it. My question is, does anybody know if there is anything you can eat it with that would make it tastier? I heard that cinnamon can be quite good sprinkled on top, but I tried that tonight, and didn't quite take to it.... Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you!

Whiskers :wave:

P.S. It is 1%, if that makes a difference in the taste :confused:

Lenin
02-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Whisker,

Try the Creamed 4% from Axelrod...it makes a BIG difference. I'll bet you cann scarf it up right out of the container (maybe a teeny shake of salt.)

AmandaH
02-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Whisker,

Try the Creamed 4% from Axelrod...it makes a BIG difference. I'll bet you cann scarf it up right out of the container (maybe a teeny shake of salt.)

Yeah, I can't eat the 1% cottage cheese. It is the only dairy product that I can't stand low-fat or fat-free. The only time I ever eat canned fruit is with cottage cheese. I like peaches or pineapple with it. And, I buy the kind (fruit) in water or its own juice. It is also good with just a little salt, like Lenin said. I haven't tried the brand he mentioned, though. I will have to give it a try.

Jess75
02-09-2005, 06:12 AM
I LOVE the organic cottage cheese made from Stoneyfield, it may be a dollar more than conventional but the taste is SOOOO much better that it is worth the extra buck. Btw, I don't get EVERYTHING organically grown, but some of the stuff tastes MUCH better. Preferably (if your watching your fat), I like the 2% kind with a little salt. :p It's real rich and creamy and I just bought some conventional kind yesterday and I can't eat it now cause I tried Stoneyfield's, lol.

Btw, what did you hear about cottage cheese that was good? I know it's a good source of protein and has the healthy bacteria in it (I dunno about the bacteria in conventional). Is there something else I should know? :D

justanothagirl
02-09-2005, 06:23 AM
You guys should try quark... or something. kwark in dutch. It's almost the same as cottage cheese, only smoother like yogurt (but less watery). It's just as healthy and it's delicious when it's non/low-fat.

Hitmen
02-09-2005, 06:30 AM
I don't really like cottage cheese at all. However, I found I can't taste it when I mix it in with oatmeal.

Drakes_mom
02-09-2005, 06:38 AM
I also like fresh peaches with it....or I slice tomatos onto it and use fresh ground pepper..this is quite good!

Jogaholic
02-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I really like crushed pineapple or strawberry jelly in my cottage cheese - I liked those prepackaged cottage cheese & fruit things from the store, but found that I could make it just as easily at home for cheaper!

Losec20mg
02-09-2005, 08:37 AM
have you tried mixing it up with your pasta..mmm thats what I do. ;)

ChappyBoy
02-09-2005, 09:51 AM
a twinkie.

justanothagirl
02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
whats a twinkie?

lindan
02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
It is only tolerable to me also...unless I eat it with cantelope. Makes a great low fat meal.

ChappyBoy
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Whats a twinkie! Its a whipped cream filling covered in a light cake but I call it heaven

justanothagirl
02-09-2005, 03:08 PM
oh like a puff cake?

WhiskersOnKittens
02-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, guys! The only kind I saw in the store that I went to was the generic kind (I bought it at Save On Foods, here in Canada). There was 1%, 2% and non-fat (I believe it was called). I wasn't sure what to get, but I didn't think that it would taste too different from %, to %. I think tonight I will try having it with a piece of fruit... That seems to be the most popular opinion right now. I think I only have apples and bananna's, so maybe I'll try cutting up an apple in it. I hope it tastes better!
Oh and by the way, the only things that I've heard are good about cottage cheese, are that it's very high in protein, and low in fat. I guess for people who really like it, it's worth getting, but I'm not sure if I'll be buying it again. Maybe it's an aquired (sp?) taste... :rolleyes:

Magpiezoe
02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Apple butter or pineapple. :bouncing:

ocurt
02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I personally like mixing low fat cottage cheese into my salad! that way i use less dressing... it's also pretty tasty too!

dahlia41
02-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I like savory things, not sweet, so I put in spices: Mrs. Dash, garlic, onion powder, if you're planning ahead you can put in dried chives (give it a day), or if you have fresh chives that's good, too.

Jenteal
02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I put it in my salads. I eat the fat free Borden or Light and Lively brand. It actually goes really will with the fat free Kraft Caesar Italian dressing. I also put it in my pocket pita bread with grilled chicken, lettuce, and same dressing.

Jenteal

Lady_Raven
02-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Here is what I've found that tastes REALLY good in cottage cheese or plain yogurt: a cut up banana, cinnamon and some splenda mixed all into it. I'm not allowed to have a lot of sugar so that is what I eat when I get a craving for something sweet. I love it!

WhiskersOnKittens
02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I haven't tried them all yet, but the thing I've found that I like best in cottage cheese (so far), is seasoning salt. I just put a bit on it, stir it up and it tastes not too bad. I still have lots of ideas to try though, but in the meantime I think I'm getting used to it.

Lenin
02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi again,

I'm the fan of the full fat (4%) Axelrod Creamed Cottage Cheese from earlier in the thread. Just to see why people may hate hate cottage cheese, I bought Axelrod 1% fat no salt added this week.
It was a horrible, tart, grainy mess that I judged inedible and tossed it in the trash (on sale for $1.24 this week so no biggy.)

There is a WORLD of difference between the two, and to anyone who THINKS he hates CC: if you've only had the low fat or non fat, try again with the REAL stuff.
(And Axelrod is the best of the SALE brands, sometimes even $.99 a pound...Breakstones and Friendhip are AWFUL)

WhiskersOnKittens
02-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Is the 4% fat, really fattening? Because if it is, I guess that defeats the whole purpose of learning to like cottage cheese in the first place. But if it's not, then I will try that kind next time! Thanks!

Lenin
02-17-2005, 05:42 AM
It's a matter of degree, Whiskers.
A cup of 4% cottage cheese is about the same as a cup of whole milk. Compared to a cup of 1% milk (or cottage cheese) there's a caloric difference, but it's not Earth shattering.
Both can be consider "low-fat" if compared with a REAL cheese which is 50-70% fat:eek:.
It all depends on how you want to allot your day's calories. Cottage cheese is high protein and satisfying (and EASY) so I judge it a good choice. Eating the non-fat one that tastes wretched seems a horrible way to go through life.

misery hates company
03-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Haha, this may be a lil late, but for me...it's never too late to talk about cottage cheese. I love cottage cheese in all it's forms. It's like a love affair if you will. My mom got me hooked on cottage cheese with chex mix. I eat it with tons of stuff. I like crunchy things so I'll mix a lil cereal with it for a snack. I put it on tacos, nachos, sandwiches, salads...or I just eat it plain. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I eat it as a snack...I eat it before bed. Well, I may be exxagerating...I don't eat it every day all the time, but these are all the times I could eat it. It can also be substituted for riccota in low fat lasagnas...

Let's think, I eat it on bagels (when I eat bagels...which is quite rare)
Sometimes I slap it on some toast and fold over the toast and perhaps mix in some mustard.
Definately with chex mix is how I first started eating it though...

I *heart* cottage cheese.

Emi

LS289
03-14-2005, 01:27 PM
This is the wrong question to ask me because I eat cottage cheese with EVERYTHING! I love mixing cereal into it with raisins or bananas, putting berries or fruit in it, with eggs, on top of bagels with a little bit of salt, pepper, and tomatoe...I could go on and on. My very favorite kind is Horizon Lowfat Cottage Cheese...Also, if you like sweeter things, try mixing a packet of splenda or equal in it for a sweet treat...

veggie girl
03-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Chunks of pineapple are DELCIOUS with cottage cheese. Also, try making an omelette and using cottage cheese as a filling with herbs or quick stir fried veggies.

But really, if you dislike it that much why not eat plain, live yoghurt instead - its high in protein and has calcium and accodophuls.

veggie girl
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Eating the non-fat one that tastes wretched seems a horrible way to go through life.

haha - too funny!!

LS289
03-15-2005, 11:47 AM
I agree with the comment about nonfat cottage cheese - it is terrible! Lowfat is definitely the way to go. Sometimes Knudsen lowfat is a little too creamy, though. You might want to try Trader Joe's or Horizon (like I mentioned before). I am way too into this cottage cheese thread!! Lol...

WhiskersOnKittens
03-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi everyone,
Cottage cheese has actually really been growing on me! I eat it almost every day now (not very much, but a couple of spoonfulls), and I find that it satisfies a strange craving that I get once in awhile... I generally just eat it plain, and I like it fine and dandy. I think I will try it with some fruit though (I have yet to do that), it sounds like it might be a tasty dessert.

Whiskers

thelovelyamber
03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
i think that cottage cheese enhances the taste of whatever you eat it with. i add onions cause i LOVE onions. the long skinny green onion things. and a tiny bit of burned garlic. tastes good with meat, too, especially red meat.

liquidstar
03-17-2005, 10:53 AM
this isn't healthy of course, but one time i put croutons in the container of cottage cheese and it tasted really good. i like it at least :)

Susanbrennan80
03-17-2005, 11:57 AM
applesauce is great with cottage cheese. I don't know which part of the country you are from but central ny has crowley cottage cheese my husband and I love. We are in denver, nc at this time and have found nothing to compare with it. I also like a little mayo and a sprinkle of carroway seed, sometimes grape jelly floats my boat canned fruit, pears, peaches, pineapple, fruitcocktail,etc. but good cottage cheese needs very little, maybe some salt and pepper.