PDA

View Full Version : Almonds? Losing Weight or Gaining Weight?

Nixona
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I've read it both ways on this board. So, are almonds a good weight loss food, or a good weight gain food? Or can it be both? We're talking raw natural almonds here...

hillaryb
03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Almonds are very very high in calories. I used to eat them but realized that I was getting about 500 calories in what I considered a serving. You really have to watch how many you eat. They are loaded with "good fats" but are so dense in calories, I gave them up.

Nixona
03-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Hmm...I had a sneaking suspicion. I generally eat about an ounce (official serving) and about 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese after my workout in the evening. Should I switch to a piece of fruit or something maybe?

Magpiezoe
03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Yep, you might want to switch to fruit. Nut are a great meat substitute though. So once in a while, you might want to put them in your salad instead of using lunch meat, eggs, or chicken for a change of pace. That way you can still get the benefits of the nuts without the weight gain.

Lenin
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
They are BOTH: One almond is a slimming snack...100 almonds is a fatty pig-out!

Tesss
03-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Are they good for you? Im trying to put on weight after an illness, I need to put a stone on. Are they healthy enough that I can eat loads? I know that nuts are generallly good in small doses but what about larger doses - saturated fat etc?

modert
04-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Think of almonds as a "condiment" not as a meal or snack. If you don't have a kitchen scale so you can weigh out 1 ounce, know that a "palm-full" is far more calories than you would imagine.

LS289
04-16-2005, 12:26 PM
I still swear by almonds (and all nuts, for that matter). I never used to eat them and after I added them to my diet, even though my calories increased, my weight didn't. Consider them a miracle! Haha. But, as JD said, a palm-full is much more caloric than one would imagine. Even though I never gaind weight from them, I got to a point where I was eating 600-800 calories worth of them in one sitting as a "snack" and not even knowing it!! Kinda scary...

janebjane
05-16-2005, 05:05 AM
hahahaha!! You crack me up!! "fatty pig out" I absolutly agree. Have a great day and thanks for the chuckle.

jane.