Home
HEALTH CENTERS
Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index
Search

View Full Version : Bad Sunburn

jurry
03-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I got a bad sunburn on my feet and shins on Friday. Now, my ankles are swollen up like balloons and the redness won't go away. It's not really very painful though. Any suggestions as to what might help?

Sponsor

mudhound
03-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I use aloe when I get too much sun. It seems to help. The wife tryed vinger one year with little sucess.

jurry
03-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Vinger? What's that? I've been using Aloe, but it simply hasn't helped.

jurry
04-04-2005, 08:58 AM
The entire top layer of skin peeled off my shins over the weekend. Now they are pink and strange looking. Not so happy right now.

Border3899
04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I made the mistake of getting a sun burn really bad on my shins about 6 years ago, for the first week it hurt to walk i was so swollen, then they blistered for three weeks and after it healed they were scarred from it. This past summer i was out for a short while and didnt put sun screen on them, they were fried like a tomato, this time the healing was worse, they blistered and then turned bloody and scabbed over for about a month, my shins now look horrible and always will. Please be careful from now on with your shins when you're out in the sun, it is not fun if it happens again because it's usually much worse, unfortunatly my shins will never look normal again from all of the scarring that happened the second time around. These legs will never be in the sun without sun screen.

hanelo4
04-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I got a bad sunburn on my feet and shins on Friday. Now, my ankles are swollen up like balloons and the redness won't go away. It's not really very painful though. Any suggestions as to what might help?

Hi:)

There is a paste that the doctor can prescribe you especially for a bad sunburn. I can't remember what it is called, but it is also used for people that have burns all over their body(like in a fire). It doesn't cost a lot and works really well. It helps the pain too. Ask your doctor about it and tell him about the swelling.

About 4 years ago, I got sunburnt really bad on my legs to the point where I could hardly walk because they were so swollen. My legs would fall asleep because of the swelling. My doctor gave me that paste and I was so glad he did. It eased the pain a lot. I wish I knew what it was called.

Chantel

girl75
04-05-2005, 07:16 AM
i was just wondering if ice would help with the swelling and kind of numb the pain a little soothe the burn feeling. also someone told me noxema helps, is that true? what do yall think?
robin :confused:

rouge
04-05-2005, 10:47 AM
There is a spray you can get otc at most drugstores that numbs pain. It's called Dermoplast. It's a topical spray that numbs the area - says on the can that it can be used for sunburns. I would also soak the area in cold water to relieve some of the swelling.

I am sorry that you are going through this, but a bit jealous that you are someplace that is warm. :)

jurry
04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
They are starting to get better finally. i think i will probably have some scars though.

Border3899
04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
The product the doctor can prescribe is called Sylvadine (sp?) It worked wonders for me as well. I had to put that on and wrap my legs in gauze.

hanelo4
04-06-2005, 02:46 AM
The product the doctor can prescribe is called Sylvadine (sp?) It worked wonders for me as well. I had to put that on and wrap my legs in gauze.

Yep, that's what it's called. Thanks for posting the name. It does work really good. I had a sunburn so bad on my legs that my doctor said he had never seen something like that before. It was a maroon color instead of red. I had blisters and weird looking sores. That paste worked real good and believe me, I never got sunburnt again!

Chantel

jurry
04-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Sylvadine. Great. I am going to ask my doctor abou that tomorrow. Thanks.

Border3899
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
No problem, you should see great improvement with that Erik!

hanelo4
04-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Sylvadine. Great. I am going to ask my doctor abou that tomorrow. Thanks.

Let us know how it works. You may also want to let your doctor know that you are swollen just to see what he/she says. Good luck and I hope you are pain free soon.

Chantel

Erika2610
04-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Ot sounds gross.. but trust me. I burn year after year to the point where I can't move. I work late night then go to the beach and fall asleep. bathe in tomato juice. Just straight up tomato juice. It sounds gross.. but works wonders. Trust me.

hanelo4
04-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Ot sounds gross.. but trust me. I burn year after year to the point where I can't move. I work late night then go to the beach and fall asleep. bathe in tomato juice. Just straight up tomato juice. It sounds gross.. but works wonders. Trust me.

Be careful about getting burnt so often. My doctor told me the first time I was burnt so bad that if I had that happen again that I would be at a higher risk for getting cancer. I also notice now that the hair on my legs grows weird and I am still sensitive in some areas.

Chantel

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!