PDA

View Full Version : Sodium?

cricket_22
04-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi guys, okay so i eat a whole load of sodium on a reg basis...now is that bad? what does sodium do?? I hear it makes you retain water, but i dont even really know what that is about either!!

I am a healthy weight 5'5'' and 120 pounds and workout regularly, aside from the sodium, my diet is pretty good

it's just that i am in college so cooking is not really an option, I am living on lean cuisines for dinner and heating up soups...plus i love pickles so uh oh....Don't get me wrong i eat lots of whole grains and fruits and veggies in between...but what is the sodium gonna do to me? thanks :wave:

racehorse
06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I take it by sodium you mean table salt. While the sodium can cause an upset in your electrolyte balance the more dangerous aspect may be the chlorine (sodium chloride NaCl). Chlorine causes a net acid gain in the body which must be buffered to maintain a normal ph. The body draws on calcium to do this which means high salt intake can leave you at greater risk of osteoporosis. While it may be hard, you can retrain your taste to eliminate your desire for salty food. Go salt free for 4-6 weeks and you will find even mildly salty food tastes REALLY SALTY. Once you have retrained your taste a small amount of added salt will be all you need.