PDA

View Full Version : Potassium/Iron deficiency????

Magnolia29
04-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I am a 115lb 5ft5 female, recently lost 20 pounds. I eat about 1700-2000 cals a day. I have a very active workout schedule, but about a month ago, and a few times since then, I have woken up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my calves. It hurts tremendously, then it it just sore the whole day. Am I lacking in potassium or iron? Or what can be the cause of this? Please help
-Magnolia

Jogaholic
04-23-2005, 02:19 PM
That's happened to me before. I've heard that potassium helps prevent muscle cramps, so whenever I get those calf cramps late at night I make sure I start eating more bananas! It seems to help; sorry I don't know much more than that, but I'd be interested in finding out the cause as well.

justanothagirl
04-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow... I had the same thing like half a year ago! I can't remember exactly what happened but I remembered that my calves were sore and when I slept at night I woke up with a nightmare where my calves were hurting like torturement...then when I woke up they felt soooooooooo painful like I can't remember cos it's so long ago but I just felt like I was gonna die or something lol... well my calves were...well you know what I mean... so weird, next morning they were kind of sore as well indeed. Weird... must have had the same problem, I guess.

Magnolia29
04-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Hm, well I went out and bought some chard, because it is ver high in potassium. How do I prepare it? Can I eat it raw?

girlygirl11
04-23-2005, 07:32 PM
I guess you could eat it raw, just like you could eat spinach raw. Personally I like to either boil it or steam it (on the stove or in the microwave), and add a little butter and salt/pepper and maybe even garlic to it. You could also sautee it in a stirfry-type dish.

Lenin
04-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Magnolia,

My vote is for CALCIUM...have a glass of warm milk before bedtime.

sugar_babygirli
04-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Also try Magnesium and MSM supplements! These help greatly! :)

Magnolia29
04-24-2005, 10:04 AM
I actually just ate the boiled chard, and found it marvelous. It tastes just like spinach, but slightly sweeter. Chard is the highest potassium source, 933 mg, which is 27% DV. I am going to eat this more often, I think it was the potassium I was lacking. Also, has anyone ever had frozen bananas? they taste just like ice cream, maybe better :)

IBSForever?
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I have had this too, and I believe that a possible cause is dehydration. Especiaally since you are very active, I would try to ensure that you are drinking enough water.

liza2
04-26-2005, 06:45 PM
I have this problem too. Has the chard helped at all?

Magnolia29
04-28-2005, 12:50 PM
So far, I have not had any problems with my calves since the chard.