PDA

View Full Version : milk and yoghurt question

Ding
05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
i've never been a massive milk drinker (maybe 1/4 of a pint a day), but i eat quite alot of natural yoghurt. is yoghurt as good for you nutritionally as milk? i sort of imagined it is since its made from milk, but just wondered if i should be drinking more milk as well to get the nutrional benefits of that.

rheanna
05-03-2005, 04:59 AM
i've never been a massive milk drinker (maybe 1/4 of a pint a day), but i eat quite alot of natural yoghurt. is yoghurt as good for you nutritionally as milk? i sort of imagined it is since its made from milk, but just wondered if i should be drinking more milk as well to get the nutrional benefits of that.

Yoghurt is an excellent source of calcium. It's more easily digestible than milk for lots of people.

--Rheanna

Magpiezoe
05-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Yes, yogurt is good for you. I can't drink milk, so my doctor suggested yogurt and cheese as a substitute for milk when I was pregnant. I also take calcium suppliments with vit. D. Yogurt has calcium just like milk does. It's even better for you if you get the kind with the active cultures, which help keep away infections. There was even a study done on children who eat yogurt....They have fewer ear and sinus infections than children who don't eat yogurt.

Ding
05-03-2005, 08:09 AM
cheers for the replies :)
i'll carry on as i am then. thats interesting about the study on children. i think far too many children are malnourished these days, not because they don't have enough to eat, but they often are just fed junk.

Ding
05-03-2005, 08:11 AM
cheers for the replies :)
i'll carry on as i am then. thats interesting about the study on children. i think far too many children are malnourished these days, not because they don't have enough to eat, but they often are just fed junk...anyways, thats a story for another day!
thanku

bluehen94
05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I think yogurt is good, but some are better than others, you have to watch the sugar in them, they could have 30 or 40 grams, way too much.

Ding
05-03-2005, 01:14 PM
yep, i agree. i have natural yoghurt with no added sugar. took me a while to get used to the taste but i cant get enough of it now!

bluehen94
05-03-2005, 03:22 PM
It takes time to get used to these things. Many times now I can't taste the difference......my husband thinks my taste buds are all screwed up now :) .

Ding
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
haha, 'refined' is a better term

Harry
05-04-2005, 07:13 AM
The reason that many people are intolerant to milk is that the pasturizing destroys the enzyme that digest milk sugar (Lactose) and us humans cannot handle the milk sugar. But you can take lactaid or buy lactosed reduced milk that is better to digest.

Yogurt takes 2 enzymes to make all brands and most makers add other active live cultures to their yogurt.

I like and use Stonyfield Farm --- it contains 4 additional cultures including Lactobacillus reuteri-- that is a patented culture derived from mother's milk -- cultured in Sweden processed in Denmark --Stonyfield Farm products are the only yogurt in the USA that contains it -- it is also Organic!!

auntjudyg
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Not all Stonyfield is organic! Watch the labels!

zusanna
05-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Hmmmm.... that is interesting about the study on children. My daughter is 9 months old and absolutely loves the yo baby organic yogurt and she's never had an ear or sinus infection :)

Jess75
05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Read about Kefir. It is supposed to be superior to yogurt since it contains more of the "friendly" bacteria. :)

Lenin
05-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Jessica,

Do you make your kefir? I've been making mine for about 8 years.

Jess75
05-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Jessica,

Do you make your kefir? I've been making mine for about 8 years.
No I don't make my own, I guess you could say that a busy women that has a 2y/o with a heavy workload wouldn't really have time. I mean, my schedule was so full I was only able to workout 3x a week a half hour at a time as opposed to an hour a day 5-6x a week! Summer is here now and maybe now I can learn. :bouncing: ;)