PDA

View Full Version : Oh, another question, is Kefir a good source of protein versus whey?

Jess75
05-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi,
I've been drinking Kefir daily as part of my diet regime because of the benefits of the "friendly bacteria" it promotes in the digestive tract. I haven't been drinking my whey shakes and substituted Kefir which contains 15g of protein, what are your comments about the difference between the two, as far as "good quality" muscle maintaing protein? Thanks. :D

Lenin
05-08-2005, 03:33 AM
As a protein source kefir is probably equal to the protein in the milk that made it. If by WHEY, you mean the powdered CONCENTRATED whey protein (like the health food stores sell) then the WHEY has FAR more protein, sometimes 90% by weight.

Figure kefir for about 8 grams of protein for every 8 ounce glassful, unless it's fortified with extra powdered milk commercially.

Both have identical amino acid compositions and are both "complete" proteins.

Of course only the kefir has the plethora of probiotics (many MANY more kinds than yoghurt...and many that survive into the intestines!)

Jess75
05-08-2005, 06:56 AM
As a protein source kefir is probably equal to the protein in the milk that made it. If by WHEY, you mean the powdered CONCENTRATED whey protein (like the health food stores sell) then the WHEY has FAR more protein, sometimes 90% by weight.

Figure kefir for about 8 grams of protein for every 8 ounce glassful, unless it's fortified with extra powdered milk commercially.

Both have identical amino acid compositions and are both "complete" proteins.

Of course only the kefir has the plethora of probiotics (many MANY more kinds than yoghurt...and many that survive into the intestines!)
Thanks Lenin!
So I guess your saying that whey is a better source of "protein."Okay. :)

Sameesh
05-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Well hes saying whey IS kefir. Whey Protein powdr, however, is gonna be a better source of that whey than just kefir.