PDA

View Full Version : too much water and terrible headaches

Ding
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
arrgh. i'm in quite some pain at the minute. i normally drink at least 2 litres of water a day, but today i drunk alot more than that - about 3 litres. and 2 of those were in one sitting. my heads really pounding and i think its from the water. is it bad for you to drink too much??

Musical_Muse
05-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow! That's quite a bit of water! I forget what the ideal amount of water to drink per day is--9 tall glasses of water or its equivalent, I think.

Why did you drink so much water in one sitting? How long were you sitting? I believe that you can water log yourself if you drink too much water. Also, your kidneys may have to work a lot harder to process all of that extra water. Were you dehydrated prior to drinking all of that water?

~Colleen

Ding
05-10-2005, 03:40 AM
2 litres a day is the recommended amount for one day so i've heard.
i'm not sure why i drunk so much..was just watchin tv and kept refilling my drink, and before i knew it...2 litres in one go!
its the day after now and i feel alright, so i don't think theres any lasting damage. think its wise to spread my intake throughout the day in future. let this be a warning to us all! :)

Nixona
05-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you had a mild case of water intoxication or hyponatremia. Throw either of those terms into a search engine and see what comes up. It's not the amount of water you drank, but the time you drank it in. 3L of water evenly spaced throughout the day probably would be benificial to you. But a huge amount at one time will really make your body unhappy and throw things out of whack.