PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat Kiwi Fruit???

apple
05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
The skin has a leathery and hairy coat. Is that part discarded? Is the Kiwi typically peeled of this coat, like an orange, or do you slice the fruit in half and spoon out the fruit, like a grapefruit, leaving the coat? How do you eat it?

Goya123
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
I've always loved Kiwi. It's deliciously sweet and tangy with a very pleasant almost slighty crunchy flesh.

Yes, the skin is discarded. I suppose you could peel it with a knife and then slice it, but I've always prefered to simply chop it down the middle, grab a spoon and go to town.

The seeds are edible, too.

Enjoy.

apple
05-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Goya123. They don't look that good, but Kiwi is suppose to be a nutrition haven.

Ding
05-16-2005, 06:02 AM
i had a friend who ate the thing skin and all, just picked it up and ate it like an apple! she seemed to have no ill effects. as long as you wash it first i suppose eating the skin is fine

justcurious827
05-16-2005, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't suggest eating the skin at all. I've never even heard of that until the previous post.

You can eat it by taking of the skin with a knife or the spoon method, either way you're comfortable with.

It is quite delicious, and I'm not much of a fruit lover. Enjoy!

mellowfish
05-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Ah, you can eat the skin and get lots of fiber! Lots of people do, I have been for years!

BEAUANDZOE
05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
HI there,,,,
my uncle used to eat the Kiwi like an apple... skin and all.... can't be bad but personally I don't find it too appealing. What I like to do if I'm having a snack at work is to take the top off the kiwi ** just like you would an egg } and eat with a teaspoon. If you have more time on your hands then scoop out the kiwi flesh and mix in a juicer with strawberries, bananas, apples .... anything actaully.... delish..

Lenin
05-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Pain in the asp to eat (as Cleopatra said) but the best way I've found is to slice in half lengthwise...lop off the 4 tiny ends and sort of turn it inside out and use your teeth to srape the flesh from the inner side of the skin.

Life is too short to try to peel with a paring knife, and if the fruit is ripe, as it SHOULD be, you are often left with a handful of goop and a messy kitchen!

God, eating the skin sounds as appealing as swallowing a SOCK!

apple
05-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I just ate my first kiwi fruits. **** Almighty!!! No one ever told me they were so delicious! Those things might be the best tasting stuff on the planet.

I just peeled them with a pairing knife.

2 questions: Are they always the size of a chicken egg at maturity? That is, can you find them in bigger sizes?

And how is the best way to detect that they are ripe, just right?

Magpiezoe
05-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Kiwis are higher in potassium than a banana, so yes they do have a lot of nutrional value. The funny thing about them is that they get sweeter the longer you have the unpeeled fruit sitting out. The natural sugar just comes right out. I like to peel it and eat it just like that or sometimes I will slice it to make fruit platters look decrative.

1. Size - I've seen some the size of an egg and a little larger...about lemon size. I've never seen any as big as an apple though.

2. "How to tell if they are ripe?" - The ripe ones are golden brown, while the unripe ones have a little green tone under the brown. They are also soft to the touch, but are over-ripe if they are mushy to the touch.

apple
05-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Thank you, Maggie.

I just purchased 2 more bags. I'm hooked!!!

Lenin
05-19-2005, 05:42 AM
LOL,apple...

Make sure to let them ripen. Unripe they are pretty grisly...tart and hard!

LS289
05-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Cut it in half and spoon out the fruit. It's a fruit that is often overlooked, but sadly so. It's delicious!!