Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index

View Full Version : Will they postpone surgery if you are sick?

06-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Just wondering - waiting for the nurse to call and confirm surgery for tuesday, and today i'm feeling like i'm getting sick - have a yucky sore throat. will they postpone my discectomy do you think? of course i will ask the nurse, but figured i'd see what folks here think....

having a TON of pain today and bummed to think it might be postponed, but of course want to be in the best state i can be for it...

06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
The nurse will likely tell you that if you are running a temp even on the day you show up in pre-op, yes they are likely to cancel the surgery. If you don't have a temp though, they may not have a problem with proceeding.

Best wishes for a full and quick recovery.

06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
thanks for the note - i'm actually feeling very flu-ish suddenly (both my kids have been sick)...no fever, but shivering and feeling cold even though it's warm here...headache, etc. ugh! i don't need this on TOP of the back/leg pain!

sheltie fan
06-05-2005, 09:15 PM
They will probably reschedule it. I was scheduled to have fusion surgery on my back, and it was cancelled. I went to do the pre-op with a tiny bit of sinus trouble-no fever. The hospital said fine, but when I got to the surgeon's office, he said no. He said when you have a cold, it makes anaesthesia more risky. Different surgeons may be different-my doctor wants you well when he operates.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!