PDA

View Full Version : Retin-A 0.025% for 1 year

tiggerbuddy
07-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, I've been using retin-a 0.025% cream every night for 1 year (plus doxycycline and ortho-tricyclen). My acne has improved immensely, but I still have about 1-2 zits regularly. I was curious whether switching to a more potent Retin-A (0.05%) would change anything. Does anyone have any experience with different strengths of Retin-A? Any help would be much appreciated :)

health15
07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Are you using the retin-a .025% every day? If not, you might want to try increasing your applications first. I believe that if you are able to tolerate it every night without any flaking you are ready. Especially after 1 year. I just started using retin-a micro .05% every 3rd day and love it. Before that, I built up my tolerance to using green cream (.06% retinol).
Did the retin-a get rid of your old acne marks if you had any? I'm not breaking out anymore, but I still have these stubborn marks!

tiggerbuddy
07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Are you using the retin-a .025% every day? If not, you might want to try increasing your applications first. I believe that if you are able to tolerate it every night without any flaking you are ready. Especially after 1 year. I just started using retin-a micro .05% every 3rd day and love it. Before that, I built up my tolerance to using green cream (.06% retinol).
Did the retin-a get rid of your old acne marks if you had any? I'm not breaking out anymore, but I still have these stubborn marks!

I put the 0.025% cream on every night. My skin isn't flaky (it's a little dry, but it's always been that way). The retin-a has definitely made my skin look a lot healthier-- faded some old marks, and I swear it's diminishing my wrinkles (I'm 25). my face isn't red, but it's a little pink (but again, I think this is just my natural skin tone).

If i were to bump up to the 0.05%, do you think I'd have an initial breakout? Maybe I could gradually switch to the stronger cream (like alternate 1 night 0.025%, the next 0.05%)?

Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts???

jellybean321
07-28-2005, 12:38 AM
I was put on .05% last week and I had never been to the derm or doctor before and my acne really isn't that bad at all. And my face looked great the day I went in. I just get really really small bumps. And my face is fine. I love it! I'm sure it would be no problem at all, I'm handling it just fine and like I said, this is the first thing that I have ever used on my face that was perscribed. I used other things like murad (only for a couple of days) and I couldn't tolerate it at all because it felt like my face was peeling off. Retin A doesn't burn or itch- I can't even feel it.

primo1
07-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Well, I've been using retin-a 0.025% cream every night for 1 year (plus doxycycline and ortho-tricyclen). My acne has improved immensely, but I still have about 1-2 zits regularly. I was curious whether switching to a more potent Retin-A (0.05%) would change anything. Does anyone have any experience with different strengths of Retin-A? Any help would be much appreciated :)

i think the .025% is just for initial use. i used the retin a .025% for just 2 weeks then increased it to .05%. i have been using this for 7 months now and i have to say it significantly improved my complexion. it helps fade my dark spots from acne and it even smooths my face.

good luck. :wave:

Smartpants
07-28-2005, 06:38 AM
how long until you guys started seeing results wtih the Retin A?

primo1
07-28-2005, 07:41 AM
i started to experience the initial breakout on my 4th to 7th week and it was horrible! pimples everywhere! then i noticed the improvement on my 8th week. :wave:

Goosey
07-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I am just about to start retin-a tonight. I did not know about the "initial breakout". I guess that is just the case with almost anything.... Does it truly clear after this and how long does that last?

health15
07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
I had a breakout after the green cream that lasted about 2 weeks. 2 months later I started the retin-a micro .05% and had a very mild breakout after the 3rd application and that was it. (2-3 pimples) Never broke out again from it. Only some mild flaking which I no longer have. I am thinking of increasing to every second day instead of every third day.