PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Symptoms of LPR

CharBerry
09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I'd like to know what symptoms other people with LPR get? What are the worst to least ? Coughing constantly would be my worst symptom but losing my voice (for weeks and months) is awful. My voice hasn't been normal forever even on a good day and can change thru out the day. Constant sniffling from PND drives me and everyone else around me crazy. Clearing my throat, ear fullness, SOB, and not being able to do work out in my yard a lot of days. Not being able to do much of anything some days due to feeling so bad!

Charla

Answers10001
09-01-2007, 11:19 AM
feeling like food is getting caught is definetly my worst. I can hardly eat. Also my hoarse voice severely effects my singing.

cl84
09-01-2007, 11:36 AM
The lump feeling in my throat and ear pain are my worst. I think I could live with the post nasal drip and mild sore throat if I could get rid of the other two! But it would be nice to be free of all of it.

Kellir
09-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I guess I would have to say the worst symptoms are PND, SOB, SINUS PROBLEMS and not being able to swallow.

cl84
09-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I guess I would have to say the worst symptoms are PND, SOB, SINUS PROBLEMS and not being able to swallow.

What does SOB mean?

CharBerry
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
SOB is "short of breath." I think I could add a few more as of today! Can't get over this spell and trying everything I know of. Do you get SOB?

CharBerry
09-01-2007, 08:40 PM
SOB is "short of breath." I think I could add a few more as of today! Can't get over this spell and trying everything I know of. Do you get SOB?

Charla

cl84
09-02-2007, 05:23 AM

Charla

Thanks. Yes, I am SOB (HA!) at times. Sometimes I feel like I am getting bronchitis.

YankeeRoseO1
09-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I think the worse symtom that I get is the impaired swallowing reflex. It scares me and Im afraid to eat. Dr thinks its from acid that has damaged some of the tissues in the larynx. And I need time to make it heal.
All the symptoms are bad thou! After the swallowing, Id say constant lump in throat feeling is bad too.
I aso get esophageal and throat spasms sometimes which can be very painful.
Some days I feel so bad, I just want to sleep the day away..................

KyleG
09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
what do you mean by impaired swallowing reflex?

YankeeRoseO1
09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Hi Kyle,
My swallowing problem feels as if sometimes when i go to swallow, its like there is a hesitation of sorts and the swallowing isnt complete. Its as if my swallowing muscles are tired, and dont make the complete swallow. Its hard to explain. When it first started happening, it happened after a very stressful week, so i wasnt sure if it was from anxiety or not. It used to happen even with saliva. That hasnt happened to me anymore,but it does still happen when Im swallowing food sometimes. It does seem better sometimes, and it seems to come and go. I had an enhanced barrium upper gi series to rule out any tumors or anything like that, and thank god, nothing like that showed up...I just dont know if its anxiety, or the lpr, or if and whedn this will subside. It makes me very anxious, which in turns make all the symptoms worse.

yeahzach3
09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I was just diagnosed with LPR in June, 2007. The first symptom I had was feeling like something was stuck in my throat, nothing big, but like a flake of coconut or something. It drove me crazy, after that went away, the sore throat and swelling showed up. It seems like I'll have the sore throat for about 10 days, before symptoms go away. The Dr. put me on Protonix and I though it was working, some days I didn't even take it and felt okay. But a week ago it hit me again, the feeling like I have something stuck on the side of my throat and then the whole burning throat, I'm on day 10 now and feel better, but have switched to Prevacid Solutabs, they seem to be helping, but it's just seems that when it flares up then it has to heal and takes a while. It's miserable, I get scared to eat because it feels like the food won't go down, and I think I must surely have something else wrong, but then I have to stop and think that when it's not acting up my throat feels perfectly normal. I have had problems with Generalized Anxiety in the past, so I tend to over-react when I feel like there's something in my throat, etc. I think the stress makes it worse also.

CharBerry
09-04-2007, 04:33 AM
I think we all get the "stuck in the throat thing" in the beginning. Not being able to swallow is more a GERD problem, which I found to get better when my stomach healed. With the LPR my whole throat (especially on one side) feels full but I'm able to swallow. I feel like I have so much mucus there and in my nose. I do still get spells where when after eating I cough up thick mucus. I start coughing and sniffling after every meal. Chewing gum helps to nuteralize the acid and saliva. Of course, drinking lots of water. Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry you have these awful symptoms but helps to know it's not just me or in my head. After so long, you begin to wonder when other people get well and not me.

Charla

YankeeRoseO1
09-04-2007, 05:46 AM
I think the swallowing problems with LPR are due to swelling of the tissues from the acid. The mucus is formed as the body's defense in attempt to protect the vocal chords from the acid. It actually forms and sticks itself around the vocal chords, and that is why we feel all that mucous in our throats.

Answers10001
09-04-2007, 10:14 AM
my question is: why do we feel like food isnt going down???I've been on meds almost 3 months now and STILL feel like food isnt going down...

YankeeRoseO1
09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
my question is: why do we feel like food isnt going down???I've been on meds almost 3 months now and STILL feel like food isnt going down...

Hi,
I dont know if there is just one simple answer for that question! Sometimes it takes a very long time for everything to heal up. It could be 6 months. Some people heal faster than others,and some meds help some people and not other people.
I have begun to think, that I am one of the unlucky ones that will never be totally symptom free.

CharBerry
09-04-2007, 11:10 AM
It was explained to me that all this erosion that has probably been going on for a long time has gotten your esophgous inflammed and raw. It doesn't want anything new on it and things aren't moving thru your system like they should. I agree with Yankee Rose on the meds. My stomach got better on Prevacid, Carafate and Reglan but it did take 6 months or so. The LPR thing is what I can't get rid of and harder to control than GERD. Both are affected by our diets and ever changing life style.

Charla

yeahzach3
09-04-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that feels like it's just on one side of the throat, mine mainly feels like the left side is swollen, but I am able to eat, just a little scared to. This is such a weird thing to have, most people just think you can take some tums or something, but they have no idea how miserable it is. It's kind of scary too when you feel like one side of your throat is blocked and raw. Hopefully better days will come for all of us.

sophia79
09-05-2007, 09:37 AM
the 2 worst symptoms are by far for me :

1-shortness of breath... just horrible!!!

2-feeling like food wont go down and the fear of choking that goes with it.

I have been on double dose prevacid for 4 months now and even if I am better I still have those 2 symptoms. Considering it took 4 months to be diagnosed with LPR (no doctors knows about it here) it has been 8 months of a nightmare!!!:mad:

CharBerry
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
That's another thing I get upset by. I was miss diagnosed for so many years because of Dr's not believing that acid could come this far up. I wonder if it's done permanent damage because I have asthma now and never did before.

Charla

matthew1855
09-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Just diagnosed having GERD about two weeks ago. Now on PPI Nexium. After going through the thread, I think I am having LPR as well.

My most annoying symptons are the lump feeling in my throat and the asthma feeling...difficult breathing especially in the morning.

By the way,what is this " post nasal drip"

Thanks

CharBerry
09-06-2007, 10:50 AM
PND for me is usually more of a stuffed up sinus feeling. Especially on my right side. It seems if it does drain it drains down my throat or I have this feeling of constantly "sniffing." It feels like mucus collects and I have to direct my cough to that side to relieve it. In fact, before being diagnosed correctly, I kept thinking I had a cold or the flu. I'd lose my voice, coughing and sniffling till I was aching along with feeling like crap.

Charla

flexy633
09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow, I seem to have the same symptoms. I also have the difficulty swallowing, but it seems to come on about an hour after I eat. I'm also constantly clearing my throat and sniffling. I thought it was allergies. A lot of these symptoms get blamed by my doctor on smoking. But, I disagree. For the last week, I've had pain in the chest that radiates to the middle of the back. All of you have also described the same symptoms! The doctors always want to prescribe anxiety meds and blame it on stress and anxiety.

Can I go to my regular doctor and ask for an upper GI? I want to make sure my esophogas is okay.

alex12
09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi All

SOB and lump in my throat are by far the worse symptoms.... I've been on everything and still have not found an answer to these problems. This started one year ago this Nov. It's like a reoccuring nightmare! I have had every test and have taken every drug, nothing has made this better. I just dont know what to do anymore!:( :confused:
ALex

chodin
09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Hello!
Definitely a right sided sore throat and right side ear pain that both come and go. I have not been officially diagnosed with LPR, but I'm convinced it's what I have since my symptoms are classic. I have not had a scope yet, but probably will at some point. I saw an ENT who pointed me in this direction and I made an appt. with my regular MD who put me on Nexium. It's only been a week, but the symptoms have gotten better, although they do come back. I have not changed my eating habits and eating actually makes my throat feel better. Ironically, I've lost a few pounds since this all began. It really has put my life on hold in so many ways and the odd thing is that it started all so suddenly with the sore throat. I appreciate all of you who share your miseries and successes. I really hate that I feel so fatigued most of the time, too. I'm missing out on a lot of life right now and I'm ticked, but I do get very grateful when I have a decent day with no throat or ear pain. I work at a trauma center and I become humbled by my 'problem'. It becomes very small, quickly.

kevinla
09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
My only symtoms are difficulty swallowing and bad taste in my mouth. I have tried everything (acid blockers, carafate, DGL licorice). I have had this for 2 years. I am resigned to the fact that it is not going away.

kla

YankeeRoseO1
09-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Wow, I seem to have the same symptoms. I also have the difficulty swallowing, but it seems to come on about an hour after I eat. I'm also constantly clearing my throat and sniffling. I thought it was allergies. A lot of these symptoms get blamed by my doctor on smoking. But, I disagree. For the last week, I've had pain in the chest that radiates to the middle of the back. All of you have also described the same symptoms! The doctors always want to prescribe anxiety meds and blame it on stress and anxiety.

Can I go to my regular doctor and ask for an upper GI? I want to make sure my esophogas is okay.

Hi flexy,
Yes, your general dr can order an upper gi for you. Mine did. It was an enhanced barrium upper gi, and they gave me these crystals to swallow, which add gas to the esophagus and stomach, which puts air into them,and allows for the best pictures. They can even tell if you have strictures in your esophagus from doing this. The whole procedure lasted about twenty mins, and wasnt too bad at all. They make u drink standing, and then laying down in all different positions. Then I had to drink from a straw while laying on my stomach. The radiologist even told me the basic results right there, and then sent my dr. a more detailed report. Good Luck!

CharBerry
09-11-2007, 01:38 AM
I truly appreciate all the replies and please continue to add. I've had all these strange symptoms for so long ,and at that time many Dr's didn't think they were connected to acid reflux. Thank goodness, many more Dr's are becomming aware of this problem and the extra esophogal problems along with acid relflux but not experiencing heart burn in every situation. I'm so glad to have found a board with more postings about LPR. I certainly hope everyone gets well (and passes the cure along:) but it's comforting to know that this "is" what I've got and not alone. I've noticed that traditional suggestions for GERD do not respond nearly as well with LPR and that many seem to develop this after starting off with GERD. Very interesting and hope they can figure out "why" and a permanent "cure." Thank you for sharing because I feel like that's the only way we're going to be able to pin point what is going on and why.

Charla

YankeeRoseO1
09-11-2007, 04:58 AM
I truly appreciate all the replies and please continue to add. I've had all these strange symptoms for so long ,and at that time many Dr's didn't think they were connected to acid reflux. Thank goodness, many more Dr's are becomming aware of this problem and the extra esophogal problems along with acid relflux but not experiencing heart burn in every situation. I'm so glad to have found a board with more postings about LPR. I certainly hope everyone gets well (and passes the cure along:) but it's comforting to know that this "is" what I've got and not alone. I've noticed that traditional suggestions for GERD do not respond nearly as well with LPR and that many seem to develop this after starting off with GERD. Very interesting and hope they can figure out "why" and a permanent "cure." Thank you for sharing because I feel like that's the only way we're going to be able to pin point what is going on and why.

Charla

I agree Charla. Some drs do not even recongize that LPR is a seperate entity from gerds. Yes, sometimes they go hand in hand,but some people have one and not the other....and some lucky individuals as myself, have both!
I agree that having these boards is a real good source of comfort,and reassurance and information. I have learned so much on my own researching and from these boards. I think that Drs need to learn more about this condition before they can really help those of us who suffer so much from this debilitating condition...and, yes, I do think that this condition is debilitating. It changes our lives so much, and decreases the quality of our lives a great deal. I dont think that some drs realize how much we suffer, and how much this decreases the quality of our lives. I hope that in time, and Ihope that it is sooner than later, they are made aware of this,so that more research can be given to this condition, and then and only then will be able to get the relief that we strive so hard to obtain.
Rose

willk48
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I have GERD. The only symptom I have that makes me think I have LPR too is constant throat clearing that drives my wife and myself crazy. It always feels like I have some mucous in my throat. I swallow or snort but it's always there (worse at times). I've tried sinus meds with no help.

pop464
10-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I Have Had A Problem For 3 Months Now Of Having To Clear My Throat All The Time. Sometimes I Have A Mild Cough. No Burning Or Sore Throat. I Have Been On Nexium For 10 Years. Now My Doc Said To Increse It To Twice Daily. He Said Sounds Like Acid. Anyone Have Any Suggestions. He Told Me A Ph Test May Be Needed

CharBerry
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I actually have had acid shoot straight up into my sinus. Feels awful and do everything I can think of until mucus crud gets dislodged. I know this is gross but I feel soo much better when all that crap drains down and I can spit it out. Some activities make it worse or after eating something. It's the pitts.

Charla

serenityls
10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I actually have had acid shoot straight up into my sinus. Feels awful and do everything I can think of until mucus crud gets dislodged. I know this is gross but I feel soo much better when all that crap drains down and I can spit it out. Some activities make it worse or after eating something. It's the pitts.

Charla

CharBerry,
So have I and yes, it does feel awful. I think the mucus crud comes because it is your body protecting itself against the acid.

wen10
10-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Hello everybody
I cant believe that there are people out there who have the same symptoms as me. For over two years i have constantly kept clearing throat and felt i was chocking (mucus really and phlem) but the dr's have always just given me antibiotics which dont ever seem to solve the problem (i actually was beginning to think it was in my head!) What does LPR stand for? Atleast now i can go to doctor with this knowledge.
wenXXX.

YankeeRoseO1
10-13-2007, 04:53 AM
LPR stands for layropharyngeal reflux...

We have two muscles attached to our esophagus called sphincters. One is located at the bottom, which attaches the esophagus to the stomach, that is called the lower esophageal sphincter, the other is located on top of the esophagus and connects the esophagus to your larynx, or throat, this is called the upper esophageal sphincter. Problems happen when the sphincters do not work properly, and do not close and prevent the acid from coming up into the esophagus from the stomach via the lower sphincter, which causes heartburn, or the upper sphincter which causes the acid to enter into the throat and causes LPR...
LPR has a variety of different symptoms, some of which you probably read already on this message thread. The mucus and phlegm that develops and sits on the vocal chords is a response from your body....It is trying to prevent the acid from damaging your vocal chords and soft muscles in your throat, so it develops a coating and lines your throat and vocal chords.
I hope this helps!
Rose

wen10
10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Thank you so much Rose for your reply, this does sound like a possibility and will put it to my doctor. For the past two yeras i just keep being given antibiotics as they think it's a chest infection but i have always disagreed.I am constantly trying to clear my throat, usually it is just fluid type substance or phlegm. What is the treatment for this usually?
Many thanks again
wenXXX.

YankeeRoseO1
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Wen,
Usually they will give u a ppi...something like nexium, or protonix. They may start you out on one 40mg a day...but that usually doesnt work for LPR. Ive been upped to two 40mg protonix a day, and Im starting to feel better after being upped about 2months...However, I do have more symptoms than throat clearing and mucous. It really is trial by error...and what works for one person may not work for the othre...Also, watch your diet...Spicey foods make more acid...and fatty foods do too. Again, everyone is different with what bothers them...with me, its tomato products and caffeine...which happen to be my favorite things...While somethings seem to be univeral as far as what bothers us, some things are individual too...good luck!

niecsey
10-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Do any of you suffer from weakness too? For example ache across middle chest from carrying bags etc? Looking for answers xx

wen10
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Rose,Thanks again for the advice, i will look in to it further.
Niecsey, sorry i cant really help you as i do have weakness across the chest but this is due to having rheuamtoid arthritis. Hopefully others will beable to help you though. Takecare.
wenXXX.

niecsey
10-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Thank you Wen x lm an acher too although l was tested for ra about 3 year ago and it come back fine sigh good luck with everything x

tdonline
10-17-2007, 08:51 AM
My symptoms have largely subsided the last year...except every and now then, I release the most fouling smelling odor...up from my mouth, nose, ears...It's really awful and embarrassing and I still can't figure out why. I swear the smell is getting worse. The ENT said it's most likely the acid that smells so bad. The weird thing is that as my LPR symptoms have lightened up, this particular odor problem has gotten more pungent.

Another explanation may be that it's not LPR related...

wannaBcured
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
What exactly is LPR? I have been having several of symptoms you posters are describing. Especially the horrible feeling of your food stuck in your throat.

wannaBcured