PDA

View Full Version : Turp

Buzzy523
12-11-2008, 04:37 PM
My husband is about to have the TURP proceedure. The urologist said the laser proceedure would not work for him as his prostate is too large. Feedback from any of you men who have had the proceedure would be appreciated. Also, are there any negative effects or long lasting negative effects? Thanks!

LENNYI
12-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I had the TURP done last year - ask any questions and I will tell what my experience was.

Lenny

Buzzy523
12-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Lenny, How was the recovery? What type of anesthesia was used? Was it successful for you? My husband appreciates any information/encouragement you can give. He was sure he was going to have laser surgery, but the Dr. said the prostate was too large. Only TURP would give him a lasting success. He doesn't know any men who had TURP. All had the laser. Any advice is welcome. Hope you are well. Thanks!

LENNYI
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
The recovery period is going to be 4 months - your doctor will tell you 6 weeks, but nobody I have talked to really recovered till that 4 month period. They leave out a lot of issues that you will experience. It is usually an overnight stay with a catheter for 3 to 5 days, then he will have frequency and urgency for a period of time and some leakage for a few weeks. This is all normal. I passed scabs after about 3 weeks, but not everyone has any trouble with this. again, this is a normal thing - the area that is carved scabs up just like any cut, but there is only one way for the scabs to come out. Everything is scary during the recovery period only because you don't know what to expect.
Are there any bladder issues right now?
He needs not to do any lifting (over 5 lbs ) for at least 6 weeks - no straining and that includes a bowl movement. Take a stool softener or something to make moving your bowls easier. He will have a period when he won't know if he has to pee or poop. It sounds funny, but the nerves that control both are where they do the TURP so it messes you up for a short time. I don't want to scare him - it is surgery and it takes some time to get the nerves to settle down.
How old is he? The younger you are, the longer it takes for the nerves in that area to settle down.
He will be under General anesthesia - won't feel a thing and usually you aren't in much pain afterwords. The best advise I can give is to just take it easy and let things heal. Try to move around a little - seems like scar tissue forms more when you are too inactive. A short walk around the house and just keep a positive attitude and don't rush things. They will give you Pyridium for the burning when you urinate - it helps big time so use it. The burning lasts for a short time, but will decrease as the time passes.
If you give me a history of what he was feeling as far as discomfort, I'll be more able to let you know what to expect.

Drink plenty of liquids - if he has bladder issues, stay away from anything that is acidic - soda, juices and other citrus items. Water is best to flush out the bladder and not to irritate the area.
I discovered that I had IC after a year of not understanding why I wasn't feeling better so I would recommend treating the recovery like IC and eat a good diet and stay away from the spicy foods.

Like I said - give me some history and I'll be better able to help you out.

What is his PSA test reading? I won't go into any other areas till you give me some more information and when is the surgery scheduled?

Lenny

Buzzy523
12-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Lenny, Thank you for your detailed letter. My husband's PSA level was under 2. He is 62 years old. His problem is that he gets up at least 5 times per night. He had numerous tests over the last 4 years. Prostate volume, uro dynamics testing and scoping. All pointed to a very enlarged prostate. His Dr. advises the Turp procedure and told him that he would be released the next day without a cather. Does this seem logical to you? He has also taken Flomax for years and Avodart with no great results. He is basically having the Turp to relieve his night time bathroom visits. He is sitting next to me watching me type and he appreciates your advice and comments. This will be his first surgical procedure.

Buzzy523
12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Lenny, Surgery is scheduled for Jan.5th. What is IC that you mentioned?

LENNYI
12-21-2008, 05:05 AM
The hardest part is the wait! Based on your description, I think this will be a quick procedure. If he doesn't have any bladder issues, it will be a quick recovery as compared to the normal TURP recovery. If his flow is good, I'm not understanding the surgery. IC is interstitial cystitis - bladder inflammation. He would know if he has bladder issues - pain and pressure and lots of frequency.
You are right - no catheter after a TURP has not happened to anyone who I know had the TURP. Either he is planning a quick snip or is doing the bladder neck incision instead. Anyway, it sounds like there isn't much of an obstruction. I am surprised that the Avodart didn't shrink the prostate. If what you say is going to happen - I don't see much of a recuperating period.
Tell me about the flow volume - that is the test that says it all. I have talked to lots of guys who had the TURP and everyone of us had the catheter for at least 3 days - that gives the area a chance to heal before the urine contacts the cuttings. Well, there doesen't seem to be anything for him to be concerned about - should be a quick and easy procedure. I would be interested in hearing what takes place after the surgery - post the news after the surgery so we can keep up with the procedure.
You all have a nice Holiday and tell your husband that the worry beforehand is much worse than the actual procedure. Time to take the valium and relax a little!

BTW - his PSA is great and really low for an enlarged prostate. This sounds more like a bladder neck procedure than an actual TURP.
Lenny

Buzzy523
12-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Good Morning Lenny, Thank you for taking the time, especially in this busy holiday season, to give your advice. We do not have the current reports on my husband's urinary dynamics. But from copies of other reports (over 20 mts. old) we read that his prostate was 4.7cm.X 4.0cm. X 6.2cm. The volume of the prostate is approximately 66cc (now it is 78) . There was also focal calcification seen in the prostate. Attention to the urinary bladder shows no evidence of intraluminal defect or thickening of the bladder wall. Pre void volume of the urinary bladder is 615cc. The post void volume is 302cc. Of course all this info is from almost 2 years ago. His bladder is definitely retaining urine. His stream is weak and he gets up all night long. He is still planning to have the surgery on Jan.5. He doesn't know exactly what will be done, but he said the Dr. is going to cut the prostate all around. She said "Prostiva" would only be a temporary fix for his problem, and that is why she (the urologist) has opted for the old surgery.
Thanks, and have a great day!

LENNYI
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
All the things you stated are good. You're right - enlarged prostate seems to be the issue and the thin bladder wall indicates no blockage or at least not a long one. Retaining urine is one of the classic diagnoses and this will fix that. I see a pretty easy go for the recuperating period. I'll guess and say six weeks because there are no bladder issues to contend with. He will have burning for a while after the surgery and most of the other issues I talked about, but he should progress really quickly so I don't see any issues that he has to worry about. I still don't see him leaving without a catheter, but everyone is different and all the doctors do things a little different. Tell him to relax - it will go fast and things will heal quickly. Still stress the part about not straining for a few weeks - that keeps the area from bleeding and helps with the scabbing!

Have a nice holiday and this will fix him up for the New Year!
If you have any questions just ask away!

Lenny

Buzzy523
12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Richie says "thank you" and we will get back to you after the surgery. Enjoy the holidays!

Buzzy523
01-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Lenny, The TURP proceedure is over. the Dr. said it went well. She (his urologist was a female) said the prostate was large but it was more the configuration that was impeading the uretha. she was surprised that this deformity did not show up on any of the tests previously performed. The took the cath out after 24 hours and as soon as he started to urinate 200 cc he was discharged. Yes, he went home without a cath. He is urinating pretty much diluted blood. Little burning and tingling. He is a little concerned that it is taking time for him to get the stream started. Once started he pees OK. The nurse said this is OK. Any comments or questions from you. We appreciate your input.

LENNYI
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
hey,

Been waiting to hear from you all. I'm happy all went well. The reason for the catheter is to help with the bleeding and swelling. It takes a few days for the swelling to go down so he'll have a few days of burning and a slow start to his stream, but once things start healing, he'll have a much better time. This is a bigger surgery than they make it out to be and it will take some time for the nerves and all the working parts to start working better.
If he has a lot of burning, get some Pyridium - it works great. Also, he is in the young group so it takes some time for the nerves in that area to settle down. Keep posting on the progress and if you have any questions or concerns. I won't say too much right now - don't want to put any more stress on him, but as the healing process goes on he'll have questions.
Time to take some Valium and chill out for a few weeks!:)
Oh, being nervous causes the stream to start slow also. There are two valves that have to open for the urine to flow and one is in the prostate right where they cut. The Doctors tend to not tell you a whole lot about the recovery - guess you need to have gone through it to know:)

Lenny

Buzzy523
01-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Good Morning Lenny, Everything was going well but had a sudden set back last night. Could not urinate, severe pain in stomach with swelling. Called Dr. and told to come right in. they had to put in cath and drain 950cc of urine. Left cath in till Friday. What do you recommend to take for the spasms? Any other surprises I should know about. The doctors don't tell you much of anything. They don't even want me taking the pyridium. I have stopped that for now. All I am taking is Cipro and Tylenol with Codine. Thank you so much for your advice.

LENNYI
01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, was a bit surprised about the blockage, but that is what the catheter is for. There is a lot of swelling and the urine passing over an open wound isn't so good either. It is best for a 3 or 4 day use of the catheter - eliminates a lot of what you just went through. You are right - they really don't tell you much. I'm surprised about the pyridium, but you won't need it till the catheter comes out. Now, I want you to try and relax and not let the anxiety take over. This whole situation is a mind thing. It affects us all the same way - afraid of not being able to pass water. Even after 18 months, I have that fear now and then. This takes a big mental toll on you so all that you are feeling is normal even if the doctors don't agree. I know the catheter is a pain in the butt, but necessary right now. A Little discomfort for a few days will pay you back big time!
Any questions or if you just want to vent - feel free. That is what this board is all about - getting help and information from people who have gone through it.
The spasms should subside, but they have medication to help with that. The key to all of this is trying to relax and let the healing progress. I know, easier said than done. I take Valium when I feel on edge - a small dose 2.5 MG. It just relaxes the pelvic muscles and it really helps when you need it and it is so small a dose you don't have to worry about addiction. If you think you need some just ask the good old Dr. for a prescription and the generic is really cheap ( less than $2.00).
Stay in touch and I'll keep checking on you!

Lenny

Buzzy523
01-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Hello Lenny, Went to the Dr. this morning. She removed the cath. She didn't know why I retained urine so fast the other night??? Perhaps it was a little clot. And perhaps they should have sent me home from the hospital with a cath??? She removed the cath today. She wouldn't give me Valium. Said not to take Flomax anymore. Said I could take pyridium. Came home and wow! what a change in urine output. The flow is much stronger. Also passed two slim pieces of, I guess, the prostate. Hope these things passing will not cause a blockage. Feeling better and I will try and stay calm. Thank you so much, friend, for your advice and comments. Richie

LENNYI
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Richie,

Sounds like you are passing blood clots right now. When I had the catheter in, I noticed lots of clots passing for the Four days I had it in. In the next 3 weeks you may or may not pass scabs from the procedure. Nothing to be alarmed about. If you do, you will notice the scabs and kind of feel them coming out. I had one big one that stopped my flow for an instant and then it was shot out like a bullet. As this time aproaches, drink plenty of fluids so you will have a good stream! Good luck and if you have any questions, ask away!
I see clear sailing from here on out and YES you should have had the catheter in for a few days to eliminate what you just went through. I don't know how much experience your doctor has with the TURP, but all the ones I talked to leave the catheter in for a few days! Seems to be the best policy to illiminate problems if you get my drift! You know - these doctors don't know everything especially when it comes to having the procedure done to them!

Lenny

seacapp
01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Lynni,

I want to reply to your message. I recently had a TURP. My operation was on 11/3/2008. I had the leaser procedure. I had went threw the medicaion and I did not have much success. I was still having the BPH problem and at times it was like I had taken nothing. I too tried to find people who had the operation to talk too, but could not find any, but I was told that it was a popular operation. It does have it risk however you may hear some of them in my story. I did find out one thing, recovery is different for every person.
However, there are some common points. There is no short recovery time.

I have also had some problems as well, because I did no understand the nature of the healing process and recovery. So I made some mistakes.

The cathera was inserted after my operation and I had it for about 3 to 4 day. it was removed and I underestimated recovery and my self. I was mowing the yard and continued all my activtives as before. Bad mistake.

I even decided to have sex with the wife .. I found out I still could get it up and I could still ejaculate. Again, a big misake. I started bleeding. After all of this took place. The bleeding was profuse.. I was catherized several time as result of bleeding issues. I was in the emergency room at least 3-4 time because I could not pee. I was blocked. There is nothing more painful than a guy that is trying to pee and can not go. That is something you do not forget at all. Try to avoid this condition ...not good..

The early stage of my recovery had to do with post operative bleeding. I would bleed at least 2-3 times per day. The frist time it happen it scared the Sh..t out of me. To look down in the bowel and see nothing but blood. I would have a bleeding episode at least 2 time a day. I would be pushing out clots when they did not get stuck in the ureathra. It was very frightening to me.

I found out that the bleeding is part of the healing process of the surgery.
It is threw this process that the scabs is formed for healing. My doctor informed me of that process of was surprised. The scab is formed from living blood tissue.

I have come to find that it is true.

I'm in the scab stage I just stated to form scab. I know because the bleeding has stopped. Mine are still very hard. I'm gald Im at that stage I thought I was going to bleed to death in the bleeding staged. I have what I call a post operative BPH condition because of the scab. Therefore, my urination is like I have full blown BPH.. But his is temporary until the clots and scabs are passed in the last stage of recovery. I have had glimpse of that and my stream is as strong as a 18 year old male. That will come back.

In the bleeding stage water is important keep would body wateredd to flushed and prevent blockages. At times I would be up during the night when I stared bleeding drinking water. You never know when it going to start. and it will often stop as suddenly as it started. You have to ride it out. I would contact my doctor during those time and they would assure me that all was going according to plan. I got sick of hearing that... :)

By the way nothing was the way they said it was in the little brochure they gave me. Someone needs to rewrite that. It's not factual. I have found that there are stages to recovery that are common to all of us. You do not hear people talk about that.. Why????

It helps to know that others are going threw this and made it.

There are things you need to watch out for in th bleeding stage.

Do not pick up heavy stuff .. no matter what
No sex.....
Drink water are you wukk stop up and they will have ti catherized you again. Try to avoid that if you can because the cathera impacts the prostate and porlonged healing in my case.

You do not have to flood your self with water..but when you are bleeding you need enough to push out clots, and they mat be good sized. They can even stop up a cathrea.

If you are cloting that is good. If your blood is runing continiously see doctor for advice. You need to clot that is what stops it sooner are latter.

No sodas, salty foords, or acid drink.. Just plan water will do. Be careful of herbs and some vitiams they too can make you bleed. Try to get your nurtrition from the food you eat.

No asprin, mortirn, or blood thinners, they make you bleed like a stuffed pig.

Take it easy keep your sprit up, walk when bleeding it help to bring clots down and out and relax That is what you want..

There is so much I have learn on my own I could go on and on I will write again later.. Im tired now.

Remember that each person experience has a personlized cut to it but there are things your will be able to idenify with. Keep it simple, do not panic, do not be afarid to consult your doctor when your are not sure, do not be afarid to go to the ER if you have to...

Remember also your body has experineced a trama and it wants to recover as bad as you do.. Help it

God Bless ...

LENNYI
01-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Seacapp

You really went through a rough time. You hit it all right on the head. The no straining and not lifting for at least 3 weeks is an important issue. Sounds like you learned the hard way about most of this. I didn't push it for the 6 weeks they recommend and that helped with the bleeding. I do disagree with you about the catheter - I'm under the impression that the 3 or four days that the catheter is in helps stop the bleeding and allows the area to heal faster because no urine is passing over the wound and when it is dry, it scabs up faster. Now, I could be totally wrong on this, but that is what everyone I had talked to also said. I followed the recovery schedule I found on the web and it was more true to the point than what the literature had said. You are right that everyone heals different and I planned my schedule on the longer heal time frame - better safe than sorry. I didn't bleed after the catheter was removed, but did have an anxious time passing the scabs. You tend to worry about a blockage - I think that is the one big fear we all go through. I was one of the people that had some bladder damage from the restricted flow for too long. Now, I ended up with chronic prostatitis and a case of IC. The bladder discomfort was part of my complaint from the beginning and doing the research on IC helped me figure out what was happening. Those that don't have bladder issues recover much faster than those with just a enlarged prostate. I also had cancer cells found in the Path so I had to deal with the big C issue, too. Fortunately my PSA score has been between 0.5 and 0.7 for the last 18 months and my prostate biopsy was negative so my doctor thinks he got the tumor when he did the TURP. These are all scary times when you go through this stuff. I still have the bladder (IC) issues, but I feel that not having the cancer issue hanging over me helps deal with all of this. You know once you have cancer you always have it, but you have to manage to deal with it.
I hope others read your post so they will know the things you shouldn't do after the surgery - you tell an important story for those that think this is a nothing operation and you are right about the recovery period. Everyone I talked to said 4 months for the cycle to end and that seems to be the benchmark for recovery. Some recover sooner, but most still have issues for that time period.

Thanks for the post!

Lenny

seacapp
01-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Lenny

Yes I had a hard time of it... Because I like most men though this was a nothing operation... the literature on recovery is limited.. most men will not talk about it because it is consider a personnel area...When it come to men sometimes our pride kills us, unfortunately. The hospital wont tell you the hold truth because they feel they will lose money if they scare you off the operating table. Remember each operation is money is somebody's pocket. ;)

I take four months as an average in terms of recovery. I will give myself more time. Remember everybody is different.. Lenny I have read stories in which the men was still recovering at 6 months and 1 year. So, that tell you a little about what is going on and how serious one should take their recovery..

I'm waiting until its all over before I make judgment as to what I have got and what I have lost. A lot will return as you progress so do not count your self out. Balder control can be regained with a little training. That something they do not tell you in the hospital.

Also I want to tell you, get yourself a toshie pillow, to set on it should be a donut or horse shoe type pillow to sit on. Why? The weight of the body on the prostate area after an operation can be very uncomfortable and cause some bleeding. You need something to raise your butt up a little off the seating area.

I'm in the scab stage, no more bleeding as of yet, and I'm experiencing post operative BPH because of the scabs. I can't wait for them to pass so I can pee a little better. I know if I force it I will start bleeding again. It is better that the scabs fall away naturally. I also know that the condition is temporary.

I was not told that I had cancer cells. It would not surprise me that I have a precondition for it with the BPH... When I consider my condition, I have to develop an attitude of gratitude.

At least I'm not in cancer treatment for this.. Your think this is uncomfortable!!! I have talk to some people who have been threw it, and I'm Ok with my condition.. It let you know things could be worst. You become grateful you have what you have. If you know what I mean.

I do not know about anyone else with this condition, but I pray a lot for the willingness to go threw this and come out Ok on the other side.

Doctors are good and we need them, but in my book the final say rest with a power greater than all of us..

Take care and keep posting... I check in from time to time... :wave:

God Bless....

Buzzy523
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Lenny, Just keeping in touch. Going quite often especially at night. Thought I had the surgery to alleviate this. Sometimes the stream is strong and sometimes it is a trickle. What I really want to know, since I am an active walker, and exerciser is when can I get back to my program? Also is it safe to ride in a car at this time? My surgery was 1 week ago today. Thanks for all your input. It has been a big help. Richie

Linda1652
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Was HoLap ever offered to you? It is supposed to be far superior toTurp. At least, that is what I've been told. Less complications and higher success rate. But....I have to say--no one here seems to have heard of it.

LENNYI
01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Richie,

The rule of thumb is 6 weeks of no straining and not lifting anything over 5 lbs. A slow walk is just fine, but nothing that could cause bleeding. It will take this long for the wound to heal well enough for more strenuous exercise. Watch the driving part - riding is OK, but 3 weeks till you drive. The reason for this is any sudden movement or hard braking can cause bleeding. The full recuperation period is 4 months, but after 6 weeks you can pretty much do anything within reason.
You will have frequency and urgency for about 6 weeks or up till the 4 month mark. The nerves in that area have been disrupted and take some time to quiet down. This is a much bigger procedure than they make it out to be. The reason they don't tell you this in advance is most won't get it done! You are now part of that club that has gone through this and will be the one to coach others in the future. Most guys don't go back on this board after they recover unless they have problems. I will always have problems with the cancer and IC problems plus the prostatitis, but I look at this board for the TURP people who are looking for some good information about what to expect and all the answers you won't get on the normal web.
Nothing strenuous for 6 weeks and no sex for 6 weeks. Watch out for anything that can cause tearing of the prostate area because of the bleeding and the forming of scar tissue. As you get near the 3 month mark you will know whether your stream is still strong or if you have any scar tissue causing a slowing of the stream. If you do have scar tissue (1 in 10) it isn't a big deal. They do a bladder incision to open up that area - a quick 10 minute procedure and that usually takes care of the problem for good. Yes, I had that done, too.
Most of the things you will encounter is mostly mental. This whole condition plays with the mind so we all understand what you are feeling and thinking.
Remember, it is a long recovery period in spite what the good doctor will tell you. Everyone including me was told 3 weeks and all be well, but not one person I have talked to did much better before the 4 month mark.

If you have any questions just ask away - I'll be here to help you out any way I can. I didn't have anybody to ask these questions to so I try to be available for anyone who wants to know what to really expect!

The erratic stream is normal - it all depends on how much you are drinking and how often you are peeing. As you get closer to passing scabs, your stream might get real erratic, but you will know this because you can feel the scabs coming out and you will see the scabs in the bowl. Don't be worried about this - it scares you, but it is normal and usually doesn't obstruct you. Just keep drinking plenty of fluids when you start passing scabs. Now, not everyone passes scabs - sometimes they dissolve. It all depends on how much cutting they did and how well you form scabs.
Hope this helps you out!
Lenny

Buzzy523
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Lenny, Thanks for all the advice and information. I will just have to be patient and be careful. I will keep in touch from day to day. You can always vent to me. You sound like you have had more than your share of problems. I am so grateful that I have a person like you to talk with. A friend of mine who had the TURP Procedure is no help to me at all. He was feeling fine from day 4 and urinating like a race horse. He had no pain, no burning, no problems at all. He said it was the best thing he could ever do. He must be an exception to the rule.

Buzzy523
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Dave, Never heard of Holap. I wanted to get the "Prostiva" or green light procedure, but I was told my prostate was too large and the laser procedures wouldn't last. Is Holap a laser procedure?

pauldv
01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Seacapp, wow, I just found this forum.
I went through a simple situation as you. I over did it.
I had turbt/turp surgery on Nov 6 2008. I was found to have bladder cancer and the said that the procedure to remove the tumor was the same as a turp so while he was at it both were done. Had a catheter for 5 days. It got clogged the next day, so we had to go to the e.r to have it irrigated. The e.r gave us kit to irrigate ourselves if it happened again. 9 days later, I to over did it. The next morning I woke up and had trouble urinating and it was full of blood. Finally went to the e.r. While waiting to be seen, I kept going to the men's room and finally a very large clot came out. At the same time, the e.r doc was ready to see me. Because I started to urinate ok he told me to go home and drink plenty of liquids. 4 hours later, I was back to the e.r. They put a catheter in to flush my bladder for 1 hour. There was still blood so the doc recommended I go home with the catheter but the one they put in was not the same one that I had to go home with. The nurse pull out the first on and could not put the 2nd one in. She had to call another nurse to try and thankfully she finally got it. OUCH.
By the following Tuesday, it kept getting clogged with tissue and blood clots every hour. The urologist took out the catheter the next day. I had blood in my urine for at least another week and its been clear since then.
I just finish 6 week of treatment for the bladder cancer which meant I had to get a catheter every week so that they could but this chemo like stuff in my bladder.
The good news!!!! boy could I pee good now. I almost have to hold on it comes out so hard.

Sex??? I'm afraid. Will it explode?? Will it hurt??? What about this retro ejaculation I read about. Is this the way it is for every one.

Sorry for the long post,
Pauldv

Linda1652
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Buzzy,

Yes is it the newest laser procedure. Sorry--I didn't see that you said your prostate was too large. I am supposed to have it next month, but thinking of putting it off a little longer. I got sepsis from a catheter and not anxious to have another catheter put it so soon.

Buzzy523
01-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Lenny & Fellow Turp Patients, I seem to get by during the days, but the nights are a different story. I am up every 35 minutes or so, urinating. The flow is strong, but I can't understand why I have to urinate so often during the night, and why I am urinating so much volume. Today is 14 days since the TURP Procedure. I have a little blood coming out, but the urologist said I would at the 2 week mark. Have any of you had this excessive night peeing? Thanks!

LENNYI
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like your body is storing the water volume during the day - I have had times when you go often and have a lot of volume, but I still can't figure out why. I do know that during the night, the mind or body kind of goes to sleep and you don't produce urine, but every heart beat makes the kidneys filter and creates urine. The first thing that came to mind with the blood issue is you are doing something strenuous or you should not be doing. The only other thing is the scabs are starting to come off and causes a little blood or leakage. That area is almost always under water so it is hard to scab up.
Think about what you are doing and make sure no lifting or straining is happening for another month. Six weeks is the cutoff for that!
Oh, are you sleeping on your back - that puts lot of pressure on the bladder so try sleeping on your side for a while with a pillow between your legs. That keeps all the pressure off the area. You still have a long way to go on your recuperation schedule, but the time goes fast once you get over the first part!

Lenny

Buzzy523
01-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello Lenny & Other TURP Patients!Back from my urologist visit of yesterday. Told the Dr. about my too frequent trips to the bathroom at night. She said that by looking at my urine, she could tell that I have a bladder infection. She started me on Sulfur Antibiotics and said she would know for sure if it was an infection by Tues. But she was pretty sure it was. If it is not an infection, she wants me to take Detrol. Hey, I had this Turp Procedure so I wouldn't have to get up all night peeing and so that I wouldn't have to take Flomax and Avodart for the rest of my life. I will be patient until Tues. and hope that it is just an infection. If I knew what I now know I would have never had this procedure. Right now I can't travel far from home, as I am not sure if I have to pee or poop. My quality of life is very lousy right now. Hope these antibiotics work!

LENNYI
01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Richie,

Do you have burning? We all had infections after the procedure - think it is the catheter that causes it. Don't get upset quite yet - the recovery period is 4 months. After that you should not have the frequency. As far as detrol - forget it. It just doesn't work or at least not the way we want it to. You can't undo it so brace yourself for the normal recuperation period. We have all gone through this and it just doesn't change. You will feel better as the time goes by, but from 6 weeks to 4 months is how long it takes for the nerves and area to heal after surgery. You need to look up the recuperation period of the TURP and see what they say.
Most of us had more trouble during the day and less at night because as the body relaxes, the inpulse to relieve yourself diminishes. As far as the not knowing if you have to pee or poop, the valve that controls that is located in the area that was worked on and will take about 3 to 4 weeks to get back to normal. Relax and let the healing take place. I told you that most people would not have had this done if they knew the recuperation period was so long and tough!

Lenny

Buzzy523
01-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Lenny, Thanks for your reply. Your responses always calm me and give me hope that one day I will feel normal again. Today I am 3 weeks post op. I will go back to work next Monday. Am taking it easy. Since taking the sulfur antibiotic, I feel a little less pain when urinating, but am still getting up every hour after 11pm. Tomorrow my urologist will probably suggest the detrol. Will keep you updated. You, have a great day!

Buzzy523
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Mixed up - more than ever. Called for the result of the urine test today. Was told to come into the office. I figured that I still had the bladder infection and the Dr. would give me more pills and take another urine specimen. Not so. The results of the urine were not even in and neither was my Dr. A PA saw me and did a scan and said the bladder was not retaining urine. Then he said that my urine looked good but he would send out another specimen. He also said that he suspected that I was having bladder spasms and to start taking Detrol. He said the Detrol would take over 24 hrs. to start working. But the insert in the package said it would take 2 weeks to feel any better. Can anyone shed any light on these bladder spasms? I was better off before I had the TURP. I am running to the bathroom every hour during the night.

LENNYI
01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Sounds like you are having a rough time. You are right at the time period for the scabs to start flaking off. There are lots of things that can cause this, but I can tell you that nobody that took detrol said it helped them. I was given it, too. I never took it because I was more concerned with retaining fluid than going a lot. Nerves play a big part in this, too. There are just some disturbing things that happen during the healing process. Evaluate what you are doing during the day especially at night time. Stay away from acidic items (soda and juice) and try be eat bland at night time. I had that reaction from drinking ice tea so look to the diet for some answers. I would treat this like IC for a while and try to be more conscious of the acid items you are drinking and eating. I would push for some valium during this time - a small dose at night (2.5 mg) might be what you need to relax the pelvic muscles. This procedure takes a big mental toll so don't be afraid to bring that issue up. I know you bare concerned about going back to work and not sleeping at night. Keep us informed and I hope this helps you out a little. Again, the doctors have no idea what you are feeling - they never went through it!

The good news is - you are emptying fully. Look at the positive parts of this, too. It is going to take some time for the bladder to get back to normal also.
You have no idea just what effect this procedure has on the bladder and urethra.

Lenny

Buzzy523
02-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Six weeks and 3 days post op (TURP) and I began passing clots the size of baseballs and started bleeding severely and urine stopped coming out. Went to the ER and they put in a cath, but no urine. The Dr. had to manually, with a syringe take out urine. Since my urologist had no rights at this ER, I had to go to his office. There he put in a # 22 cath and gave me Cipro, Pyridium and said to drink loads of water and to come back in 4 days. I am in so much discomfort from the cath, but am most concerned about the color of the urine in the bag. It looks like pure blood. Passing very tiny clots. Put in a call to the urologist this morning and he said that the urine would look like blood and just to continue drinking water. Is this episode of the clots and bleeding a continuous occurence for the six months after the TURP? Any comments on what happened to me?

LENNYI
02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
You sure are having a hard time with the recovery. It is normal to pass scabs, but you must have loosened up a few that caused some bleeding. This is nothing serious, but you need to lay off the exercising and lifting anything heavy till you clot up and stop bleeding. It is more important to get the bleeding stopped and let the wound heal before you do anything to hurt yourself. Better slow things down and be cautious for a while - a long while. The scabs do cause a blockage if they are big enough. I think you are too much of a hurry to get over this thing, but your body will tell you when it is over. You need to watch what you do unless you want this to happen again!
I think you need to double the caution period - 6 weeks is the normal time period so add another 3 or 4 weeks to that for now.

Lenny

Buzzy523
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Lenny. Had a really bad night. The cath and the bag kept getting clogged up with blood clots. My wife and I could not believe how many small clots I was passing. I was cold , so cold. My urologist called today and said she wanted me to go to the hospital. she did not like the fact that I was so cold. But I won't go. They stuck so many caths in me and not one was the right size. About an hour ago, the clots stopped and the urine is clearing of the blood. Hope I can hold out until Monday, when the urologist will take out the cath. Never saw any significant number of scabs come out, but the clots were un countable. What are the clots? My doctor didn't think I overdid it. She said I could start exercising again. Well then what caused this tremendous set back. She said sometimes it just happens.??? I feel I am back at day one again. Thanks so much for your very good and comforting info. Richie

LENNYI
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Richie,

You are right - you are back at day one. I wouldn't do any exercising until all this is over with. The first thing they tell you after the surgery is no excessive for 6 weeks and most say up till 2 weeks. I opted for the 12 weeks and that worked for me. I passed some big scabs and they scare the heck out of you so at this time I would recommend no straining for 12 weeks. Better save than sorry. You already have experienced the what could happen so use this as a learning experience. Using caution is not such a bad thing. You need to pass the point of healing so you can get over this. The clots mean you have an open wound and it is good that the bleeding has stopped. Hang in there and when you start thinking about exercising think back to what just happened and decide if you want another 4 days with a catheter.
I try not to be blunt, but there just isn't an easy way to get my point across. You don't want to mess up anything so just take it slow.
You'll hear me say this over and over again, but it makes the healing process so much easier if you take it easy. Keep posting so we know how things are going.

Lenny

Buzzy523
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Lenny, Went to urologist yesterday and she removed cath. I asked her what she thought happened. No answer really. All she said was that it happens and what happened to me was the extreme and that it was due to really bad luck! What the heck does that mean. The PA said it was probably an infection. don't believe that either since I had a urine test only two weeks previously. Well whatever, I just hope I don't have an episode like that again. Thank you again for your advice . Richie

LENNYI
02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Richie,

Your Doctors really don't seem to have a handle on your condition. I would use the common sense solution to what happened. I agree with you about an infection. An infection doesn't cause scabbing and bleeding like you had unless their was an abscess or something like that. I do know that they tell you no strenuous activity for 12 weeks and the reason for that is reopening the wound, which means bleeding. My opinion is that you should take it very slow for another 12 weeks and make sure you are healed before doing anything strenuous. Now, this is just an opinion based on what I and all the others I have talked to went through. I really think it is real important to get the wound healed. That would be my first priority. You have your whole life to excessive and do strenuous things. Take care of yourself right now when you need it. A few weeks more pampering won't hurt you. You are kind of starting over again so watch for scabbing in the next few weeks. Once you pass the scabs you will be home free. Just keep all that happened in mind and don't repeat the things that set you back.
I also don't like the thought of having bad luck - the Doctors are suppose to know these things and what to do when things go bad. Like I told you before - they never had this done to them and really don't know how you feel. I kind of went with what I felt like doing and played it save till the scabs passed and I felt I was out of the woods before taking on heavy tasks.
All we are doing is brain-storming so take these comments in context. You are in control of what you do and how you feel so let your body signal what is happening and what you think you could and should do. I hope this helps you think things out better for yourself.
We are a support group for you and only want to see you do well!

Lenny

Buzzy523
02-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Lenny, This is Richie's wife writing to you. I just read your post to him and he agrees with your thought that he was not fully healed. We never, in the 6 weeks, saw one scab. Then all this bleeding and clots. It was unbelievable. It does sound like he overdid, if you can consider walking and picking up the grandkids, overdoing. He has slight burning since the cath was taken out on Monday and his stream is strong one time and light the next. I think he has lost confidence in his urologists. Is it a definite that he will see scabs come out? Thank you for your time in responding to us.

LENNYI
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
To answer your questions - I too am not impressed with your Urologist. They are the ones who are suppose to have the answers and guide your recovery. My doctor told me after 3 weeks I could do anything, but everyone I talked to that had the procedure said 6 to 12 weeks so I went with that. Yes, lifting the grandkids can do some major damage. The guide is - nothing over a gallon of milk or 5 - 6 lbs. I know this seems like a low number, but you can't do anything without using the abdominal muscles and all that area is connected. My suggestion would be to use common sense while dealing with the recovery. You know it doesn't take much to open a wound especially when it doesn't have any air to help the scabbing and healing process.

About the scabs - not everyone notices them, but everyone passes them. Some doctors say they can just dissolve, but I swear mine were very noticeable and I felt them coming out, too. My thought on the scabs are - when you start noticing tiny particles, it is time to slow the activity down so they don't break off in big chunks. I had one that blocked me for an instance and then it was like shooting out a bullet. They make light about this process, but I can tell you it got my attention. I didn't want to end up in the ER and another catheter so I watched really close what was going on and stayed on top of things.

Richie has gone through enough - he needs to stay on top of this process and be careful about what he does. I tend to observe things too closely, but that is just my nature.

I think he will do fine, but he just needs to get over that initial 12 week healing period without running into any more problems.

Just remember, holding a gallon of milk close to the body is a lot different than holding it extended.

I hope this helps you both. If you have any questions or just want to brainstorm this process - just shoot away. All of us are here to help any way we can!

About the volume - that is just about what we all went through. It all depends on how much volume the kidneys are pushing out. This part sounds normal to me. If he is drinking a lot of liquid, then it gets tough to figure this part out.

Lenny

AshtonPete
03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi all, I am 58 years old. I'm in the UK and had my Turp done on the national health on the 16th Feb this year, so its only been 15 days as I write... I was sent home after 4 days, it would have been 3 but they would not remove the catheter unless I had a dump, I was unable and so they tried suppositories and then Movicol and finaly I had an anemone which shifted it, they removed the catheter the next morning, That last day I had the awful burning but on two occasions only passed 400 ml, I was ok with that, but then it started to decrease and went down to 150ml, and then to 75, I felt something wasn't right., so they did a bladder scan and found there was very little fluid left in there and so by late evening I was let home. Since then I have drank plenty of water and still it burns like hell and I pass no more than 25 to 50 ml throughout the day very frequently and still go about 4 or 5 times during the night always measuring what I have passed, and its never no more than 25 to 50 ml. Now I had a catheter in for 7 weeks before my op because I went into retention and I had urinary probs for 6 years before that. So maybe, just maybe my bladder has got a lot of work to do to revive itself, I don't know, I'm only assuming, but if I am wrong; then the urologist has probably not removed enough prostate tissue.

I would like to know if the flow gets stronger and a higher volume of irrigation as time goes by, or should it have been strong and stay strong immediately straight after the op? I am not incontinent even when I feel an urgency, I am able to hold it although its very uncomfortable. I am also very pleased to know I am not impotent as I soon found out whilst talking to a gorgeous nurse a few days after op. ((Down Boy)) I said...

There is something I would like to add about having a catheter in which I think may help some that are worried about infection......After a day or two when I first had a catheter in I developed a yellowy/greenish penile discharge, I was taken back by this because my underwear was getting badly stained each day. I thought I had STD as all the symptoms pointed to gonorrea, so I went and had a swab test, 3 weeks later and 3 different types of antibiotics did nothing and the discharge never stopped and then my results came back as negative.
I was very happy, but still the discharge persisted.
I am now in the knowledge that when wearing a catheter the bodies antibodies are attacking the catheter as its considered a foreign body and its this process of the bodies defences that create the discharge. No amount of antibiotics will do anything, as long as that catheter is in you will get the discharge. Now maybe some of you will say...well I wore a catheter and had no discharge, well I have no answer, I just hope that for future readers to this forum, they will be a little more enlightened.

Buzzy523
03-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Just to let you all know and especially you, Lenny I went to my Urologist yesterday and she had another urologist and a PA in for a consult and they said that the episode I had two weeks ago was probably due to a broken blood vessel. They all agreed that it was an excessive case and very rarely happens, but it does happen. My luck was very bad. They said I should have no further problems.!!! They also said that in no way did I cause the bleeding with my lifting the grandkids and walking and slight exercising. I can't beleive that! I am feeling much better, urinating well and hopefully out of the woods. I intend to take it slow for a few more weeks. Thanks again for all your input, Lenny.

LENNYI
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Happy to hear all is well. Sounds really good! I'm with you on taking it easy for a few more weeks. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain by being cautious for a while longer. I do disagree with the good doctors - I don't buy a broken blood vessel, but I could be totally wrong. All I know is - everything that I read said no lifting or straining for 6 to 12 weeks. It is suspicious that the bleeding came with the scabs - that is too much for me to draw any other conclusion. Good luck - we all wish you a speedy recovery without any more issues!

Lenny

jmkron
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I would like to thank you people from this board to share your experiencies with Turp Recovery as I see lots of things in common. I have read lots of messages before posting this my first message.

I had TURP 3 weeks ago. Recovery hasn't been easy.
I could not urinate when the catheter was removed after 3 days after surgery so another catheter had to be reinserted. Only 6 days after surgery I was able to urinate properly. I had a Uroflowmetry done 2 weeks after surgery (one week after catheter removal) and the results showed no improvement when compared with same test prior to surgery.

I have not seem many big scabs, only tiny particles coming out. The bleeding was light most of the time.
Now there is no bleeding.

My question to the board is the same as the other patient from UK: I don't seem the urine being better than before TURP. Sometimes it seems better but most of the times it seems the same or worse. Sometimes the urine flow is split in two. Sometimes the urine flows stops and starts many times. Is it acceptable that the flow isn't better.
Most people I have seen in this post had flow improvement in the first weeks after surgery.

Any comment will help me.

Thanks every one.

LENNYI
04-30-2009, 12:11 PM
This just doesn't sound right. It could be the swelling is causing this or maybe there is a stricture. There is always the possibility that you have a large scab that is trying to break off and is restricting the flow right now. The flow should be much better and you should be healing now. The other thing is - how much fluid are you drinking and how often are you voiding? You will not have a good stream unless you have enough volume to begin with. You will still have frequency until you are healed. Give us some more information so we can give you some good feedback!
When in doubt - talk to your doctor!
Lenny

jmkron
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Lenny, Thanks a lot for your message. I'm taking fluids normally, perhaps 1500 ml per day. I notice that the flow is indeed stronger when the bladder full but it doesn't look much better. I'm voiding on average every 1h 30min and 2 h. At night its around 4h. The burning and pain is better. The starting and stopping is better. Starting urinating is often difficult and I have some pain in the bladder area when starting just before urine comes out. Doctor says he checked for strictures during surgery and says that we have to wait 6 weeks to see how it goes. He believes that it will get better but I'm skeptical. I do think that there is something else going. Thanks again for your advise.

jmkron
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Some more comments: I'm taking Detrol to help with urgency. I feel that I'm healing slowly as some disconfort is getting better. But I also think that the urine flow should be much better than this. During surgery the doctor found a bladder neck stricture and fixed that part (he recorde the surgery in a DVD so I cold see it myself). However, even before surgery I have always thought that there were something else also going on.

LENNYI
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
You are voiding too often to have a strong stream all the time. This is normal and as you heal the time between voiding will expand and your stream will improve. You are still swollen up there and that will affect all of this. You have a long way to go in the healing department. You might want to do some research on IC. I, too wasn't doing as well as I thought I should and found I also had some bladder inflammation (IC). If your bladder has pressure and you are voiding too often, then you might have a touch of IC, also. Check it out.
Overall, I think you are pretty much on tract with the timetable. I would stay on top of the voiding issue and if it doesn't improve in a few more weeks, have your doctor do another scope and see if there is anything in there causing the flow problem!
The recuperation period for the TURP is 4 months. Keep this in mind and when they tell you 3 yo 6 weeks, remember how long I said it will take!

Lenny

jmkron
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Lenny, thank you so much for your kind reply. It makes me feel better. And I believe you 100% about the 4 months recovery time. Today has been 4 weeks since surgery but 3 weeks since the catheter was removed which kind introduce some delay for recovery. I could never believe the 6 weeks history and I'm following your advise you gave on other replies to other to take it easy for at least 8 -12weeks. Somehow late yesterday burning and pain got worse but its getting better now. I have seen it happen 3 times already: I have 3-5 days ok, then one day I feel more pain and burning, then it gets better.
I will be contacting my doctor soon.
Lenny, you are really helping lots of people with your comments.
You are doing what doctors should be doing but they don't talk too much. I will be reading this board daily. All the best for you.

LENNYI
05-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Forgot to mention one important thing! The Detrol causes a reduction in urine so this could be the culprit that is causing the erratic voiding and who knows what. I declined taking that because of the urine flow reduction. It's a mind thing - You know what I mean! Look up the side effects of the things you are taking and see if any mention reduction or restriction of urine. This is a big thing for us Turp people !! You should see a big difference between the 3 and 4 month period.

Lenny

Buzzy523
05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Two days and I will be post op 4 months. Yes, it does take four months like Lenny has written. Lenny gives a lot of good sound advice. Any comment on what I was told by my medical doctor, i.e. the prostate grows back thicker and quickly after TURP. I am going to my urologist and I will ask her this next week. Any comments on this statement made by my medical doctor.
Richie

LENNYI
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Richie,
Haven't heard that one before - my doctor said it usually takes ten + years for the prostate to thicken again, but we all know most of this stuff is just guess work. Happy to hear you are doing OK and good luck on your followup. You know I didn't agree on much she said and the only people who really know what the TURP does are us little guys. We are the ones who are living with it all! I had to self diagnose myself for IC or I would still be in a world of hurt. I have learned more from the people who had the surgery and through my own experiences than any doctor has said!

Lenny

jmkron
05-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks Lenny and Buzzy for your advise. Sorry my ignorance, but what is IC ? Regarding Detrol, I will discuss that with my doctor.
Another question: is it normal to have 3-5 days with little burning and pain then comes a bad day with nasty burning and then it goes away ? Yesterday was a very bad day then I took one ibuprofen capsule and I got much better. Thanks again.
JmK

LENNYI
05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
JMK

There is no set rule for the recuperation period - everything and anything is possible. It could have a lot to do with the foods and things you are drinking. Look up IC and see if any of the symptoms match yours. Did you have bladder issues before the surgery? I would note what you are intaking and see if there is any discomfort afterwords. IC is bladder inflammation caused by an erosion of the bladder lining.
I take Tylenol every day and I'm at the 2 year mark. Watch what you take because aleve and Advil can cause bleeding and you are not beyond that point yet so stick to Tylenol. I think there is a 12 week period that you not take anything that can cause bleeding. Lay off the Detrol for a few days and see if things improve - this is all about experimenting to see what works for you. We are all different and no two people respond the same to everything. You have to stay on top of what you are doing and intaking and see what works for you. You won't find too many people who had an easy time after the TURP. I would guess that everyone who comes back to this board has had a problem and wants to share and help others who are going through tough times. If you read what others have to say, you will see what really happens after this procedure. We all said - if we knew what we would be going through, we might not have it done and the doctors don't tell you a whole lot because they know they will scare you off, too.
Stay in touch and keep us posted and we are here to help you think some of these things out. Remember, we are only giving you input and trying to help you - we are not telling you what to do or not to do. This is pure support and we only try to make things easier for you while you are progressing through the healing process! There are a lot of us out there to help so just reach out when you need to.
The other thing to watch for is the bladder neck scarring. I think 20% of guys develop scarring and need a bladder neck incision to open it up. I had it done and it's no big deal. That usually occurs around the 6 - 12 week point. That is what you had done during the TURP. This is surgery and some scarring occurs in that area. I hate to throw these things out there - don't want to scare you, but if you are having problems, I think being aware of these issues can help you understand some of this stuff. If this makes you too nervous just give a heads up and I'll control my comments.

Lenny

jmkron
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Lenny, thanks a lot for your inputs. I really appreciate that. Yes, I have taken Ibuprofen to relieve the burning that day. I'm not sure about IC. All I know that I have urgency and trouble urinating, mainly starting and the flow isn't good. When urinating I feel pain / pressure in the bladder. My TURP took care of bladder neck stricture and the doctor showed me via ultrasound that the neck was wide open as well as prostate. So it seems that something else may be blocking but it may be due to swelling.
I'm in the 5th week after surgery but 4th after the catheter was removed (it was inserted and removed 3 times). Dont worry, I wont get nervous about your comments (at least not more than I'm already). My main concerns are: flow isn't good, and trouble starting and urinating and related bladder pain. I could easily take the other pain if the flow was better and I could void easily.
Thanks for the Tylenol advise, I will take it next time.
I have a phone consultation with my doctor later on today and I will ask him about stopping Detrol for some days.
Question: Have you taking Tylenol for 2 y because of TURP problems ?
Thanks again for your support. It means a lot to me.

LENNYI
05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
JMK

Everything you have said does fit into the recovery process. The bladder problems can be caused by the surgery or maybe an infection. Try putting a wet washcloth on the bladder when you void - that seems to help the voiding process. If you had bladder problems before the surgery, It will take some time for the bladder to calm down. Right now everything is swollen and healing. You should be passing scabs about now, too. If your flow doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks, call your doctor and see what they say.
I take pain medication for the bladder discomfort and I also take .25 mg of Valium to relax the pelvic muscles. That helps big time.
Didn't your doctor give you pyridium for the burning? You still have a long ways to go, but things will start easing soon. You are doing really well considering this is no minor surgery.
My first urologist told me there was nothing urologically wrong with me. I only had Chronic prostatitis, IC and they found cancer when they did the path test. My PSA's have been good since my surgery so I am in a wait and see posture. You have to be proactive in your condition and almost self diagnose some of these things. I did that for the IC. I wasn't felling any better so I started researching other things that gave those symptoms.
You'll do fine - try to relax a little. This condition does a real job on the mind so if you are confused, it is normal. We all feel the same anxieties!

Lenny

jmkron
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Lenny, thanks over and over again for your time posting your messages as they help me a lot. I checked IC and since I didn't have bladder problems before I don't think I have IC. Talked with the Doctor but he insists on Detrol and said ok to Tylenol or pyridium. So I will continue Detrol for a while but I'm not very happy about it. Last two days were better in terms of pain and burning.
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I wish I could provide some helpfull comments but you are so ahead of me facing this situation that I don't know what to say except that you are helping me and lots of other people that read your comments. Strangely enough I could only see very few tiny scabs so far. About the flow, doctor says that I need to void every 3h with larger volumes for the flow to be stronger. I still think that there is something wrong with the flow because even when I have larger volumes the flow doesnt get much better. Anyway I will try to relax and wait for the healing. As you said, if the flow doesn't improve in the next 3-4 weeks then I can start investigating. Thanks again, have a good one. Cheers !!

LENNYI
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
JMK

Just a few thoughts - Is the flow weak and wide or thin? You need to void after 3 hours for a stronger flow, but the stream width doesn't always change. If you are drinking enough liquids, your stream should at least be wider not longer in duration. Have you had a flow test lately? You are pretty much at the turning point where everything starts to improve so be patient for a while longer. You know - you can mentally control the stream. I know it sounds crazy, but if you are relaxed things flow more easily. Starting and stopping is a mental aspect, too. You would be amazed what the mind can do. Try relaxing when you hit the bathroom and see if things improve. If you are nervous and have anxiety, things just tighten up in there and restrict the flow. Don't be afraid to ask for a little Valium if you think you are too uptight. This condition has a big effect on your mental condition. You can talk to anyone who ever went through the TURP and they will say the same thing.
Relax and let the body heal at it's own pace. Some people take a very long time to heal and others seem to recover really quick. The ones with the type A personality take longer and worry about everything, me included !
You still have a long time to go - I'll be here to help you think things through as long as you want. Keep in mind what I said about the scar tissue. If you don't think you are doing as well as you should be, mention it to your doctor.

Lenny

jmkron
05-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Lenny, thank again for your kind advice. The stream is weak and thin, similar to what it was before. I had a flow test just 7 days after removing the catheter and the results were similar to prior surgery. the Doctor said I had until after 6 or 8 weeks to get better. It hasnt improved since then. I only say the stream being stronger 3 or 5 times when I had full bladder. Even so Yes I agree with you on relaxing and also trying to void every 3 hours. I find it rather difficult though, specially on bad days when I have continuous burning like yesterday. Today I 'm ok on that part. However, I did some research and I think that what I may have developed is a post-TURP Sphincter stricture as whenever I urinate I feel pain right on the sphincter part. In addition, sometime I feel that I need to put some pressure (not much) to urinate, mainly to start. It is exactly the same thing when I removed the catheter first time and second time and tried unsuccesfully to urinate. Another possibility is some interaction with the openning of the bladder neck with the sphincter. As the bladder contracts it causes some pressure on the sphincter. I talked with the Doctor on Tuesday, and he completely rejects the possibility of stricture. He claims that not only the bladder neck is now wide open but also if there were any urethral strictures, I wouldn't be able to wear catheters.
Anyway, sorry for the long post. I will try to void every 3h, relax and perhaps try vallium. Thank so much for your attention. Get better and a have a good one.

LENNYI
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
JMK

I really don't agree with your doctor on the spincher theory. Slim, another friend on this website has a spincher problem and still self catheterizes as we speak. I'm hoping he reads your posts and gives you some input on this. As for the bladder neck - he won't know if you developed scar tissue until he scopes you. I still think the Detrol is contributing to this problem. One of the cautions are for people who have trouble passing urine. It does something to the bladder muscles that reduce the impulse to void. I declined this medication because of that. I think we all develop some kind of restriction from this procedure - it only makes sense that some type of scar tissue will develop. I'll send slim an email and tell him to read your post and see what he has to say! I would think a better stream should be present. Are you drinking enough liquids? You need to drink plenty of water right now

Lenny

jmkron
05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Lenny, thanks for your post. In fact, its not my doctor's theory, its my theory so I'm quite happy to be wrong and hope you are right. :) Thanks for your support and possibility to exchange messages with your friend.
I agree with you about Detrol but I do think that I would have too much urgency (I still have) if I wasn't taking it. Anyway, I'm supposed to stop taking Detrol within 2-3 weeks and then we will see how it goes. I agree that the final answers about having scar tissue will be given using the scope. However I have a ultrasound image picture from about 8 days after TURP that shows the bladder neck wide open in such a way that it would be difficult for scar tissue to be blocking. On the other hand, there could be scar tissue on other parts. The feeling I have when urinating and having a weak stream has been the same since the catheter was removed first time. When I did flux test the bladder had about 300 ml which is the right volume and its results were the same as prior to surgery. I do think that there is something else going on.
Its possible that I'm not taking enough fluids. I usually take around 1.5 L to 2 L per day. What would be the recommended volume per day ? Thanks again.

LENNYI
05-08-2009, 08:07 AM
JMK

Well, you seem to have everything under control. Happy the ultrasound showed no bladder neck scar tissue. I think you are taking enough liquids so that looks good. I really don't think there is anything negative to say - lets see what happens after you heal a little longer. You just might be swollen and that is causing the reduced stream. I also think the Detrol is having something to do with it, but I am just guessing. I sent Slim a message asking him to read the thread and see what he thinks. He had a stricture and is more knowledgeable on the subject. Just keep posting and we'll see how things go.

Lenny

jmkron
05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Lenny, thanks for your post. I hope you are doing better with your issues. I don't feel that I have everything under control. On my side, I have moments that I feel really down, specially after I urinate and I see it not working so well. I'm trying to keep positive but its hard. Your posts are helping me a lot. I would be happy to exchange messages with your friend since he may shed some light on my case.
I will see the doctor on Monday and lets see what he says. Thanks a lot for your time. Take care and keep posting. JK

LENNYI
05-09-2009, 07:43 PM
JK

You still have a ways to go - things will start getting better. The voiding issue is the one thing that really gets to all of us. It is frustrating and nerve racking every time you void. As things get better, you will relax lots more and then everything will start looking better. As long as you don't have any blockages you really don't have anything to stress over. It just takes a long time to heal. Lets see what your doctor has to say - post the results. You are really just starting that long recovery road so keep a optimistic outlook and let time do the healing. I'll look for you doctor results! Stress is our big enemy and always will be so try to stay calm.

Lenny

lcmfrom nc
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Lenny, thanks for your post. I hope you are doing better with your issues. I don't feel that I have everything under control. On my side, I have moments that I feel really down, specially after I urinate and I see it not working so well. I'm trying to keep positive but its hard. Your posts are helping me a lot. I would be happy to exchange messages with your friend since he may shed some light on my case.
I will see the doctor on Monday and lets see what he says. Thanks a lot for your time. Take care and keep posting. JK

JMKRON
Lenny had asked me to respond to you regarding the voiding issue you're having "post-TURP". About two months after my TURP, I started having a weak stream, and had to strain to void. My urologist did a cystoscope and found that I had a urethral stricture (a not uncommon occurrance after TURP surgery). The urologist had me doing self-catherisation twice weekly to keep the stricture open, and a couple of months later performed another surgery called DVIU in which he makes a laser incision in the stricture. After that point, self-cath once weekly until the doc says you can discontinue the sef-cath routine. In a nutshell, that's the remedy he prescribed for me, and it has worked well. If you're having similar symptoms, your doc probably won't be able to tell you if it's a bladder neck contracture or a urethral stricture without doing a cysto. If your doc prescribes self-cath, don't freak out. It's nowhere near as bad as you might think. I'll keep an eye on the board, so feel free to ask me whatever you want. I'm certainly not a medical professional, but I can tell you what my personal experience has been.
I didn't read back very far in these posts, so I don't know how long it has been since your surgery, but you mentioned something about your stream not being much better than before the surgery. Could that be due to some post-op swelling of the tissues? Tissue trauma goes hand-in-hand with whatever corrective surgery a person has done. That's something to consider. It can take weeks (if not months) to normalize.

jmkron
05-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Lenny, thanks again for your kind post. I would like to share your optimism but its been hard. I didn't check it during weekend, so sorry for the delay on replying. Yesterday I talked with the doctor.
He seemed a little concerned about the flow but on the plus side, I don't seem to have Post Void Residual. He scheduled a cystoscopy 4 weeks from now to check for strictures or any other issues. Again, the sphincter dysynchrony was considered as a possibility but it needs to be checked. I really wish you are 100% right about all being related to healing but I do feel that there is something not right as I need to do a little strain to void. Well lets see how it goes in the next 3-5 weeks. I feel that other disconfort is getting better but flow isn't. I see that your friend has replyied to me. Thank you, I will read and reply to him. Cheers,
JK

jmkron
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
lcmfrom nc
Thanks for your reply. I just replied Lenny's post. You gave more information about my situation. I'm going for the 6th week after surgery and the flow hasnt been good from start and I do have to do a little strain to void. In your case the stricture developed 2 months after surgery, while that for me the flow hasn't been good since the catheter was removed. So far I'm hoping that this is all related to healing and time will take care of that but to be honest I do think that there is someting not right. I saw the doctor yesterday and he is a little concernced too, so 4 weeks from now I will have a cystoscopy. I will research about DVIU and self-cath.
How long ago did you have DVIU ? What about your flow so far ?
Thanks again for your post. Have a good one. JK

jmkron
05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
lcmfrom nc
Thanks for your reply. I just replied Lenny's post. You gave more information about my situation. I'm going for the 6th week after surgery and the flow hasnt been good from start and I do have to do a little strain to void. In your case the stricture developed 2 months after surgery, while that for me the flow hasn't been good since the catheter was removed. So far I'm hoping that this is all related to healing and time will take care of that but to be honest I do think that there is someting not right. I saw the doctor yesterday and he is a little concernced too, so 4 weeks from now I will have a cystoscopy. I will research about DVIU and self-cath.

lcmfrom nc
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
lcmfrom nc

jmkron,
I had the DVIU in late November. Since then my stream has been better than at anytime before the TURP and better than anytime between the TURP and the DVIU. The cysto will probably turn out to be the best diagnostic procedure for you. The doctor can SEE what's going on and put an end to the speculation and guessing. I wish you the best.

jmkron
05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
lcmfrom nc
THanks for your reply. I will keep reading this post.
I do hope the cysto will diagnose correctly.
I had a cysto last year with another doctor who failed to find anything. The other doctor found a bladder neck hyperplasia.
So, it seems that depending on the doctor, cysto may or may not indicate the problem but thats one of the tools available.
All the best.

jmkron
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Lenny, I hope you are doing better. How are things going for you ? I have had ups and downs. Keep posting.

lcmfrom nc
05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
JMKRON
I was just looking at the board and saw your latest post to Lenny. So how have you been? Hopefully you're healing and improving. Talk to you later.
lcm

LENNYI
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
JMK

The real question is - how are you doing. I've been going through this for a long time and have some what of a game plan. I'm waiting for my 6 month PSA/flow test results due next month. When you have cancer, things get a little more involved. You really never know just how things will work out so you have to be prepared for everything. If my PSA stays normal, I think I have a real good chance of not worrying about that part for a long time, but you always start thinking about the what-ifs when you get near the test time.
How are you doing? Is anything getting better? Your flow should be decent after this length of time. You'll know a lot more when you get the scope done.

Lenny

jmkron
10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
JMKRON
I was just looking at the board and saw your latest post to Lenny. So how have you been? Hopefully you're healing and improving. Talk to you later.
lcm
Hi lcmfrom nc,

Are you still posting ? I hope you and Lenny are doing well.
I have had cystoscopy done 2 months ago and they found scar tissue.
I have done dilation 5 weeks ago. The catheter was removed 2 weeks after dilation.
I was initially thrilled by the results as the stream was very good.
Now three weeks after dilation the flow is slowing down.
So I know that the recurrence rate is high (50%-60%), I think that something will have to be done. Probably self-cath.
All the best.
JMKRON

Kooklet
04-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Lenny & Fellow Turp Patients, I seem to get by during the days, but the nights are a different story. I am up every 35 minutes or so, urinating. The flow is strong, but I can't understand why I have to urinate so often during the night, and why I am urinating so much volume. Today is 14 days since the TURP Procedure. I have a little blood coming out, but the urologist said I would at the 2 week mark. Have any of you had this excessive night peeing? Thanks!
Absolutely. My dad is still (3 months after the TURP) peeing more frequently and larger quantities at night as compared to the day.

Kooklet