PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

mandyc911
12-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in a while. I feel like a newbie again...lol my name is Mandy. My husband and I are trying IVF starting Jan. or Feb. We decided for Christmas this is the route we are going to now take. I am 36 and he is 39. I had a tubal reversal in 02 with no baby. I had a miscarriage in 06 and have been trying ever since and still no success. I don't know much about IVF and was hoping that some of you ladies would share your imput on the statistics of IVF and success stories. I have to call tomorrow and make my first consult appt. My next AF is due around Jan 18. I am hoping to start treatment by then if not I will have to start in Feb. I am hoping to have an 09 baby. I am not getting any younger...

Hope to hear from you soon....

Thanks in advance!!!
Mandy

km7503
12-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Mandy! I did IVF in '06 and got pregnant. My daughter will be 2 in April. That year, I did the first fresh cycle that ended in a BFN and then 1 frozen before going on to my 2nd fresh cycle that got me pg but I had none to freeze. Statistics really depend on age and what factors are issues for you. I have male factor so we did ICSI on all cycles. I was 29 when I got pregnant with my daughter. I will now be 32 in a couple of weeks and have tried all year for baby #2. We did a fresh cycle during the summer (this time with a new doctor) and ended up with a chemical pregnancy but I also got 9 to freeze. We then did a frozen in the fall, transferring 3 this time to increase our chances. On all other cycles, we transferred 2 and I sort of panicked thinking that we might get triplets but none of them took. Then, we took a break and now I just started the Estrace for my next FET, where we will transfer 3 again and see what happens.
My best advice is to take it one day at a time. It can get really overwhelming if you let it. Also, do acupuncture. I did it with my 2nd fresh in '06 and I believe it's what helped me get pregnant. I've also been doing it all this year. It really helps to keep you relaxed and balanced and at the same time keeps the blood flowing in the right spots where it counts.;) Also, eat as healthy as you can and keep coming on here...it's a great place to just vent. Good luck!!:angel:

CocoandBB123
12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Mandy:
I am a newbie on IVF too. We just did all our blood test and paper work this month , then I will start taking birth control pills on Jan, then stim on Feb. My AF will probably start around Jan 10th.
The RE will give you lots of reading material and show you the protocol. In the clinics I go to, you are required to do blood test on 1st month, take BC on 2nd month, then start stim on 3rd month.
Good luck.

Coco

mandyc911
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Thank you sooo much for replying... I had a tubal reversal in 02 and had some tragedies since then. I had many pregnancies but only one confirmed by a Doctor. I lost that baby in 06 at 7 weeks due to stress. I have been trying ever since with no luck. Thing is I am 36 and feel like I should just go for it and stop wasting money. My tubes are open its just when they were reversed I only have 3cm on one side and 6cm on the other side that is backwards. I have regular periods every 27 days like clock work. Don't know if I am ovulating or not but still very regular. Hubby has no problems. So I am thinking I may have a very good chance at this. I will do one fresh and hopefully have some to freeze. If this cycle don't work then we will have to wait 6 months before trying again cause of money... I haven't been able to schedule an appt just yet. I had Christmas returns at Wal mart and didn't find the time with that and getting supper ready for my family..

Thanks again

Mandy

Jayme82
12-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Hello Mandy,
I am just beginning my first round of IVF, we will do the retrieval and transfer in January. I just want to warn you, depending on your clinic and how busy they are, you may not be able to get in as soon as you hope. I only mention that because I first called back in July and my clinic was not able to get me worked in until the January cycle. I am currently on birth control and go in tomorrow for an ultra sound and some labs and will also pick up all of my meds and re-learn to do injections as I have previously done injections with the many IUI treatments that we have arleady been through. I just want to make sure you do not get your hopes up and your heart set on actually doing the procedure in Jan. or Feb. because scheduling at your clinic may not permit, I had my heart set on getting in right away and was pretty upset when that was not possible.

When I had my initial consult visit, it was very enlightening. It lasted about 6 hours and we covered literally every aspect of the entire process, so I will tell you that when you have that first appointment you will feel at ease, or at least I did because that was truly the initial step in trying to make our dreams become a reality. My DH and I are very excited and nervous to actually go through with the IVF procedure and are just keeping our fingers crossed that it will take the first time!

I wish you the best of luck as you begin moving forward, as others have said, just try to be patient and keep positive thoughts. We are already going through enough stress with the infertility journey, it is not worth it nor necessary to stress ourselves out even more working up to the procedure. At this time, I can honestly say that I am pretty stress free, I just continue to pray and keep positive thoughts. Now I am sure that once the actual procedure has begun, after the retrieval and also the transfer, I am certain I will be pretty stressed out but I will try to keep that to a minimum!

Good luck!

Jayme

mandyc911
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jaimie!!! I had called back in Sept. and they made me an appt. for Oct. and said I would be doing transfer by Nov. However I canceled due to alot of things going on at that time. The Clinic I am attending has about 9 Doctors and all with high success rates... I have been doing alot of homework on statistics... I know very little about what to expect in going through the process and am looking for a supportive group of ladies to vent with...lol I hoping that the clinic will be able to get me in soon, as they were able to in the past however thank you for your concerns on my behalf... I really never thought about there being a delay in the appt. But you are right there is that possibility. I think it would be okay then I would have a little more time to prepare. I just called and waiting for the IVF lady who does the consults to call me back. I may have to wait to schedule after the 1st.

Has any of you ladies had success with 1st try IVF?

RwL
12-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi Mandy,

I kind of had success with my first attempt with IVF, it ended up being an ectopic pregnancy. Technically, IVF worked but not in the right location which certainly didn't make me feel better about the situation. However the silver lining was that I had some indication that it could work for us.

For some, IVF works on the first try and for others it takes years. I came across an article a little while back that went on to say that on average it takes 2.8 tries for a successful IVF cycle. The author said to round up the 2.8 to 3, so on average it takes 3 cycles for it to work. I had success on my third fresh cycle (I did one frozen). This might be a coincidence....might not.....

Good Luck!

Jessica

mandyc911
01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you RWL!!! I have read some articles also about the success rate. I don't want to get my hopes up to high and have a major disappointment but I want to stay positive. I feel with support from a wonderful group of ladies that has been there and done that like yourselves I will be successful. I made my appointment and they already have all my info from Sept of last year and my appointment is Jan 14. They want to get started as soon as possible. After speaking to the lady about my success rate she advised until all bloodwork and work up is done the Doctor will let me know, but according to what I had told her she said because of a Tube issue she feels I am an excellent canidate for the IVF. They have a very high success rate on patients with only tube issues. After bloodwork they will know if I have hormone issues and that will tell the whole story... So ladies Please keep me posted on your situations and I will keep you posted on mine and we can encourage one another. I have read that the shots you have to take to help stimulate the ovaries to produce the eggs are painful. Is this true? I just want to be very well prepared. I also heard you become very snappy...lol I am just so excited that I am finally going through with IVF. I feel so confident that it will be successful. My husband said he has a feeling that we will be successful first try and we will have twins...lol I hope he is right. I will be excited about one baby however overjoyed about 2...

Rwl congrats to you on your success... When do you go for your ultrasound to find out how many babies you have?

Please forgive me for not mentioning some of you ladies, it is not intentional its that I am new to this again and I am still learning the board...

I wish everyone success on your IVF cycles and am so glad to be back here with ladies who I can share my journey with and share your experiences and journeys with also...

Mandy

RwL
01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Mandy,

For me, the shots were not painful (for the most part) and I didn't have any side effects (moody, increased/loss of appetite, etc.). My husband gave me the shots and every once in a while he would not do as good of a job and it would pinch for a little. Some people find the shots to be painful....it's one of those things that you won't know until you start.

I go in a week from today for the first ultrasound.

Jessica

mandyc911
01-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for replying, My girlfriend is a RN and she is going to do all the injections for me. I had heard that they are painful so I was a little curious.

Jessica what was your infertility issues? I am just curious as to what problems women have that would bring them to IVF. I had a tube reversal. My chances were not high at achieving pregnancy. However I got pregnant several times but miscarried early and only one was confirmed by a doctor then that was also a miscarry around 7 weeks preg. I am 36 years old and I don't want to waste alot of time trying to conceive. I mean I have been trying for almost 7 years now. So my husband and I decided to bypass my tubes and go for it with IVF.

Jayme I have an appt at 10:00am on Jan 14th. She said I will start birth control when my AF starts. That should be on the 18th. Are you on your BC pills now or are you starting your pills on the 10th I can't remember... Maybe you and I can be cycle buddies... I mean IVF buddies... whatever you call it... we can give each other moral support... You're going to be a little ahead of me but this will be exciting... Hope to get our BFP's the first try.. my fingers are crossed for us both...

To all you ladies have a wonderful night and Happy New Year to you all and hoping all you ladies are blessed with babies in your near future... God Bless!!!

Mandy

RwL
01-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi Mandy,

I'll give you the condensed version of what brought me to IVF :)

My husband and I were trying to start a family several years ago, we tried for about 6 months and no luck, I happened to have my annual with my OB/GYN and my husband encouraged me to talk with her even though we had only been trying for a short amount of time. He also had scheduled an appointment to have his sperm checked so we both were going to get checked together.

After discussing some stuff with Dr. she scheduled a vaginal sono to be performed (they thought I might have endo) and lo-and-behold a tumor was found on left ovary. Three weeks later I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer (never had any major symptoms and there is no family history). Had surgery and left ovary and tube were removed, right ovary and uterus were biopsied and came back clean. Husband found out that he had vericoseles (spelled that wrong) and borderline morphology so we met with a recommended RE and they indicated that we would have better luck with IVF with ICSI then IUI because of our combined issues. We waited a little while to start with IVF so that I could heal and such.

First IVF attempt ended with ectopic in right tube and the drug used to stop the pregnancy and flush it out didn't work for us. I had to take two doses and still the embryo was growing and it was becoming increasingly painful (and I have a high pain threshold). I ended up having emergency surgery and the right tube had to be removed. It was just in the knick of time because the embryo apparently was wedged high into the tube resting against a major blood vessel, had the embryo burst and damaged the blood vessel I could have had massive internal bleeding.

Took a several months off to heal again and then got right back on the horse and started with a FET transfer....and I think you know the rest. I was 32 when I was diagnosed with cancer and just turned 34.

Jessica

mandyc911
01-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow Jessica you have been on a journey. I had a bit of a story myself but it would take a long time to tell it... In short, I had a reversal, one side is 3cm and the other is 6cm however it is backwards. I have 2 children, a boy 15 and a girl 17 who is now married with a baby age 1month. My heart has not stopped wanting a baby even though I am a grandmother. My family laughs but my daughter thinks its cool.

I have been pregnant 3 times but only 1 was confirmed by a Dr. That one ended also in miscarriage at almost 7 weeks. I have then divorced and remarried, it has been 3 yrs. My husband and I started trying in July with no success. Thing is I did the BBT, ovulation kits, temps, fertility doctors and clomid for 4 yrs with the ex. Frankly I am tired of all that and the main probably is my tubes. If my hormones are a factor then I am unaware of it. I know when I had the miscarriage it was a very very stressful time in my life. I fainted and they did an x-ray of my head cause they thought I had a seizure. They did cover my belly but between the stress and the x-ray and my ex husbands fertility issues I am shocked I got pregnant and it lasted almost 7 weeks.

I am greatful however as crazy as it may sound. God knows best!!! He and I are no longer married and I am now remarried to a wonderful man. He only has one child but that was a choice not due to infertility.

I have a really good feeling we will achieve pregnancy with IVF. Before I was worried and troubled about the expense and failed cycles but not this time. I feel confident that this is the way to go and my husband said he has a real good feeling about this and that we are going to have more than one.

I hope he is right. I have been dreaming of having more children for years. Even if I have one more then I will be happy about that.

Is there any girls out there that is starting there IVF cycle this month like me? I know Jayme said she was starting it this month and I believe a lady named Coco.

I will be back on a little later. Hope you are all having a great Friday

km7503
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm doing an FET, probably transferring at the end of next week. I know it's not the same timing and protocol, but we can still be cycle buddies. I've been there so if you have any questions, concerns, or need advice, I'm here.:angel:

mandyc911
01-02-2009, 12:00 PM
km7503 thank you! Sorry, but what is a FET? I would love to be cycle buddies that sounds so cool.

You ladies are all so supportive. Thank you for sharing and talking with me and wanting to be apart of this journey with me. You are all tooo sweet!!

Lots of Love
Mandy

Jayme82
01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Mandy,
**REMOVED*****that is so exciting that you have your appt on 1/14! You asked about the BC, I am currently on BC and will begin my first shots of Lupron on 1/7 and continue taking BC with that until 1/10. I should begin AF by 1/13 at which time I will call my RE and schedule some additional blood tests so my meds can be adjusted accordingly. It is amazing how percise everything must be in this entire process!

I will certainly be ahead of you since I have already been on BC for three weeks, so I will keep you posted as I go through this process so you have a few different perspectives to try and prepare yourself for this process!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jayme

mandyc911
01-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Jayme the lady told me that I will start BC on the day AF starts and stay on them for 3 weeks. She then told me I would start with injections but the Dr would have to tell me which ones. Then we do retrieval and then transfer... However I have no knowledge the dates all this will take place yet.

So how far ahead of me are you... Approx. 6 weeks? Do they normally start you on Lupron or Gonal-F? just curious

When do you start getting Progestrone injections and Hcg trigger shot?

Just a couple of questions...lol

Mandy

km7503
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
;) An FET is just short for a frozen embryo transfer. I did an IVF cycle in the summer that got me pregnant but sadly didn't work. But, I had 9 to freeze. We already did one frozen cycle in the fall that didn't work, thawing 3 embryos that time. We took a break since then and now are doing another frozen transfer. It's cake compared to the full process. Right now, I'm on Estrace pill which is a hormone that suppresses you but also builds up your lining. When my lining is nice and thick, they will thaw my embryos and transfer them...that's when I have to start my progesterone.
To answer some questions, the Lupron usually starts before any stimulant like Gonal F, it is used to suppress also but all doctors do things a bit differently. The hcg triggers the eggs just before retrieval and progesterone usually starts after Retrieval.:angel:

mandyc911
01-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Question ladies? My packet came in about the purchase of cycles. 1plus, 2plus and 3plus cycles which gives you 1 fresh and 1 frozen, 2 fresh and 2 frozen and so on, and you can opt for the insurance if your IVF fails. I am curious as to what is the normal package purchases. Does your doctor tell you your odds and what package you should get or do you decide on your own? I am stumped cause the nurse told me I get 1 cycle and 1 frozen and now the packet is here and there is options for more than the one she said...

Just curious as to what you all opt'ed for?

Mandy

Jayme82
01-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Mandy,
I am sure every clinic is different. With my clinic, I only had two options:

Option 1- Pay for one cycle and once cycle only, this was only one fresh cycle for one flat rate of $15,000 +/- some. If we went with this option, we would only have one chance to get a BFP unless we chose to freeze embryos then it would be an additional $2500 per procedure after that until all frozen embryos were used. This option did not offer any sort of guarantee or refund in the event that we did not get a BFP.

Option 2- Pay one flat fee of $20,000, this option is refered to as the 'guarantee' program. With this option you have to agree to freeze any additional embryos so there is more of a chance of getting a BFP. In the even the fresh cycle does not work and maintain a pregnancy up to 10 weeks then the RE will continue to do FET's until all frozen embryo's are used at no additional charge. In the event the fresh cycle fails and all FET's fail, you get a refund of $13,000.

We opted to go with option 2. While this was more money up front, it took a little of the financial stress out of the equation because it is true that if we do get lucky and get a BFP on our first fresh transfer then we paid an additional $5000, but in the event that we are not able to get a BFP on the fresh transfer and have to proceed with FET's (assuming we even have any frozen embryo's to work with) then we would at least have the possibility of getting a refund if we never get the BFP that we long for. With the refunded money we can move forward with adoption if that is the route that we end up having to take in the end.

I am not sure if this really helps you or not, but I guess you should always weigh out the costs compared to the possible chances for success that you may have. We chose our plan simply because we have something to fall back on, the cost of this entire process is so overwhelming, we must consider every option available.

Good luck!

Jayme

mandyc911
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks Jayme for responding. The cost of one cycle plus is ( thats one fresh one frozen) is 14,000. 3cycle plus with refund is 24,500 which is 6 chances is no BFP they refund you 19,600. I am just worried about buying all those cycles and getting pregnant right away and losing all that money... See I have only a tube issue.... No other problems to my knowledge... I guess I really need to wait until I get my u/s and bloodwork first before I choose the package. My husband thinks I should go with the 1 cycle plus. He is confident we will get pregnant first try. But I feel better having a frozen embie just in case. He is the kind of man that can read things and I trust him. For example my daughter found out she was pregnant. When I told him, that night I was upset and he told me it is going to be okay. He said she is going to have a little girl and she will be born Thanksgiving week... Well my daughters due date was Dec 17, and low and behold he nailed it she had a little girl on Nov 29th. almost 3 weeks early and just 2 days after Thanksgiving. Well that is only one of the things. He can just read people and has intuition about things that effect his life... He says we going to get pregnant first time and it will be twin boys and they will be born in November...

We will see but I am a sceptic... no matter how many times he has been right I still like a back up plan...lol

Jayme do you know any ladies on here that have Tube issues only that are going through IVF?

you are sooo helpful, Thanks

Mandy

RwL
01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Mandy,

Please don't take this the wrong way...while many people can get pregnant on their first round of IVF, on average it take about three tries. The reason that most RE's have success on the second/third/or even fourth round is that the first one is considered a test round. The RE sees how well you respond to the meds (i.e how many eggs you produce) and based on the information from the first round they tweak what's done in the subsequent rounds. If you continue on to a third round the RE knows so much more information about what works/doesn't work for you than the first try.

While I totally agree that having an optimistic and positive outlook can be a HUGE help in the IVF journey it can also make the disappointment if it doesn't work that much worse. When you get to the point of transfer have a cautiously optimistic outlook, I found that to be the best frame of mind to handle any news (good or bad). Of course that's just me...

In terms of only having a tubal issue.....as with everything about getting pregnant it all comes down to timing and numbers. Not every round works regardless of if it's just your tubes. On my second round I transferred two day 5 blastocysts that were textbook perfect. I was stunned when we found it didn't work and believe you me I questioned my RE in every language wanting an explanation. He said that it doesn't matter how perfect everything looks sometimes it just doesn't work, there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Please forgive me if I'm raining on your parade, I totally don't mean to. I'm just worried that you may be putting all of your wishes into one basket and if it doesn't work that you will be very, very upset. Of course if it does work I'll be the first to eat crow!

Jessica

Jayme82
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Mandy,
I have tube issues, that seems to be my only issue....otherwise I fell into the unexplained category. I ended up with two tubal pregnancies and ended up having both removed. One tube ended up splitting in two from one of the pregnancies and the other was removed because it was severly twisted. I do want to agree with Jess though, we need to try and be positive but be realistic in our changes of success. While it is great to be positive and hope and pray that the first round works, what is your backup plan if it does not work? As I explained in my reasoning with the plan that my DH and I chose, we ended up chosing this plan because it give us the best possible outcome - either we end up with a baby like we desire, or we get a refund to help cover the costs of adoption. No matter what, we win in one way or another.

Jess,
I appreciate your post because I personally need to make sure I keep an open mind. I have found myself as we get closer to doing our first IVF being very optomistic and thinking we will get a BFP. While I do agree that positive thoughts are very helpful, I still need to keep a happy balance and realize that we could just as easily end up with a BFN. If that is the case, I need to remember that the information obtained from IVF #1 will only be helpful in pinpointing treatment in future procedures.

Jayme

mandyc911
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Jessica and Jayme, Thanks for responding. I am not over confident that my first IVF will work and I will get pregnant first try. I just want to try and stay positive. If anyone knows disappointments believe me it would be me. I had my tubes reversed 6 years ago... 4 years I did bbt, checked mucus, ovulation test, pregnancy test every month. I know never to get my hopes up that is why I am asking around here about success rate other than reading it on the web. I feel taking to people with personal experience and give me hope and I can stay postive... I know all about reality... I live it everyday... disappointments that is... My reality is I have spent 6 yrs and over 17,000 and still have no baby... I have never tried IVF. Sorry if I came off as over confident, just trying to stay focused and positive

I am trying to stay focused on the facts that because I have tube issues and they are bypassing my tubes all together my chance for achieving pregnancy with a healthy baby is much higher than myself trying naturally... the plan the nurse said was 1 plus... they also offer it with the insurance. 1 fresh plus 1 frozen if no success then you get all your money back except the cost of the insurance...

believe me when I say I am open minded... if I wasn't I wouldn't buy the insurance.

I appreciate you ladies concerns... Thanks again

Jayme82
01-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Mandy,
I too know what you mean about trying to stay positive, it seems that we go through so much pain and suffering through this entire process, is it really so wrong to want to think that this could actually work? I have also been very positive, but I thought the reality check from Jess that it is just as likely to work as not to work was something that I needed just to keep myself in line. I hope that we can all keep positive because I really believe that our mental state has so much to do with how our bodies perform, but we also just need to have a little reminder every now and then that it is possible that this may not work the first time around.

Don't apologize for being too confident, we need to be confident, just try and protect yourself and be prepared that in the event that it does not work on the first try that you have something to fall back on. It would be more heartbreaking in my opinion to spend all of that money and get absolutely nothing out of it in the end. Whether that actually be a baby or that results from getting a refund and adopting.

Do stay positive, just give yourself a reality check every now and then so you do not put all of your eggs in one basket.....no pun intended! We are just trying to be supportive of one another!

Jayme

mandyc911
01-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks Jayme and I do appreciate being put in check... I just wanted you all to know I am not a woman getting IVF and thinking I WILL be successful on 1st try.... I know it is a gamble... I am trying to be positive through this whole thing cause if I feel any doubts I will probably hold out longer and wait... I feel alot better knowing the success rates and the fact I will have 2 chances(1 fresh and 1 frozen) and my money guaranteed back if no baby. Plus I also have other options with the 2 plus and 3 plus... I asked the options you all took cause I don't want to waste money but I also want success. If 2 chances isn't enough then I would try 4 chances, only problem is more money spent if I achieve pregnancy 1st try or 2nd try... That is why I said I would check in with my Dr on the 14th to find out the best option for me, since everyone is different...

Jayme with this cycle for you... When you started AF when did they do the u/s and b/w on you... They are telling me day 3 and start pills the day of AF... I am just curious as to know if your RE is taking the same approach.

Jessica when do you go back to the Dr for b/w and u/s... will they do BETA again or is your RE done and you know have to find an OBGYN?

Mandy

km7503
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Just thought I'd chime in on my statistics. Fortunately, I have excellent isurance, so I didn't have to worry about financial options at all since I am almost 100% covered (besides my deductible) for unlimited tries. But, I did need more than 2 cycles to get pregnant. In 2006, I did one fresh cycle that didn't work and it gave me only 2 frozen embryos which didn't work either. I did another fresh cycle and that finally did work. This time, trying for baby #2, I already did 1 fresh that left me with a chemical pregnancy but 9 frozen embryos (different doctor, different theories). I did 1 frozen cycle so far (with 3 embryos) which didn't take and I'm about to do another and we'll see. I thought it would be easier the 2nd time around since I've been through it and been pregnant before, but it just hasn't been that way. You just never know sometimes.:( Anyway, everyone is different and I have heard of women getting pregnant on the very first try. So, good luck!!:angel:

mandyc911
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Thank you KM7503... I understand not everyone will be successful in their first try and maybe not in the second try that is reality... I am just praying that with one fresh and one frozen I will succeed with having a baby... I, unlike you, don't have insurance and am paying everything out of pocket so I don't want to not get enough trys and not spend enough which will result in spending even more nor do I want to over spend... I just called the company and they told me pricing on all three and my goodness it ranges from 15,000 to 24,000 depending on which package you choose.... OUCH!!! all worth it if I get a baby... Like I said before it is like gambling.. I have to apply for the insurance and qualify before they will give me pricing on that...

My husband is still set on 1 cycle plus... that is one fresh and one frozen... I am trying to explain to him different options but he is set... So I will keep you all informed..

Thanks again ladies for alll your help and imput... it is much appreciated...

Mandy

Jayme82
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Mandy,
As far as my current cycle, I began AF on 12/12 at which time I called my RE and was instructed to begin BC that same day. I did not have an appt until 12/30 when they did an U/S and labs to make sure the BC was doing what it should have been - calming by uterus and ovaries. Everything looked good and right on track so I was instructed to continue taking BC until 1/10 but to also begin Lupron on 1/7.

Once I take my last BC pill on 1/10 I should start my AF no later than 1/13 and I am supposed to call my RE when that happens, they will schedule my next appointment according to that.

I hope that helps, it sounds a bit different from your RE since they have already told you that you will go in on day 3 for labs when I was much later in my cycle.

Jess,
You are so very fortunate to have insurance coverage, especially UNLIMITED!!! I just cannot even imagine, I have 100% out of pocket and those that I have heard of that have insurance have a lifetime cap so you are certainly very fortunate!

I must admit, when it comes to statistics and thinking that the first time may not work, I probably have a bit of a skewed perception. I know of three individuals - my boss's daughter, a co-workers sister and one of my dad's old students who have all done IVF at the same clinic that I am using - all three had BFP's their first try! I guess if it was not for these boards, I would not be prepared to possible get a BFN the first time around or even several times after that because every person that I have come into contact with outside of these boards have all been successful on their first try. Of course I try to think that I will be just like them and it is really reassuring that the clinic I am attending has the highest success rate in the nation so I feel very fortunate for that.

Jayme