Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index

View Full Version : navicular bone removal surgery or not?!

10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Hello, I am 19 years old and have had pain in my feet around the navicular bone since I was a kid, but always thought it was normal. I recently went to an orthopedic surgeon and heard that I have slight bunions and excess navicular bones in both feet. I've had pain for years and years so I don't know how much putting heat on my feet for ten minutes a day could help (what the doctor said to do). He seemed to not recommend surgery because the risk of something going wrong was too high (5-10% chance) but does that mean I should just live with this forever. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it! How dangerous is the surgery? And is it worth it, will i be able to wear any kind of shoes after and walk comfortably? Also, how long should it take to heal? Thank you!

10-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I do not know the specifics of that surgery but I do have some questions. What kind of shoes do you wear normally? Have you ever seen a podiatrist? Have you considered orthotics?

You might want to check out the footwear adjustments before you consider surgery. They can help a lot. My feet have given me problems of sorts for a long time. I have postponed surgery by wearing good shoes and even orthotics. Good luck.

10-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for responding. I actually have tried using orthodics and they made it hurt more, i guess because i dont have flat feet so arch support isn't my issue. I also tried using toe spacers which did absolutely nothing so I dont know. If it wasn't such an ongoing problem I would never consider surgery but this has been a long time of discomfort so I'm not sure what to do. And I believe the surgeon I saw was a podiatrist so i'm not sure where to go from here.

10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I would talk with the GP as well if you haven't already done that. Were the orthotics made specially for you?

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!