PDA

View Full Version : Flu shots

avia
11-13-2002, 03:45 PM
Has anyone had any bad experiences from their flu shots? My Neurologist says my numbness may possibly be caused from last year's shot. I won't be getting any more!!

rosiedun
11-14-2002, 03:36 AM
It would be interesting to ask your neurologist what information he has come to the conclusion. It seems to me that I too had a flu shot just prior to a herniated disc in my back rupturing. The pain was incredible. My left leg went numb and I was unable to walk. After a week of doctors giving me lots of drugs and then telling me it was "all in my head....there was nothing wrong with me", my kidneys quit working. That finally got me some attention. Six hours of back surgery and one year later, I have been left with chronic pain and left foot drop.

I had my flu shot just last week!!!

Hoping you have a pain free day.

Rosie

NancyH
11-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Guillian Barr syndrom can be a result from a virus, and also from vaccination. It's possible you reacted with the vaccine and the result is GB.

kim simone
11-18-2002, 03:12 PM
It's funny you should mention this. About 2 months after my flu shots, I felt like I had a virus that would not go away. It seemed to travel. Over the following monthsI had swollen glands, cold symptoms, shooting pains in my neck, at one time I felt like I had the mumps, and then severe headaches, and muscle aches. Finally it culminated in a rousing burst of nerve activity. Twitching and spasms that won't go away. My doctors have been telling me it is all stress related. That if I have more than a few symptoms, it's probably in my head. I went on anxiety and SSRI meds, that helped a bit, but I still have the muscle spasms.

I think you may have something!

Kim

avia
11-18-2002, 03:19 PM
I hope you did not get another flu shot this year - I sure didn't!!

kim simone
11-18-2002, 06:06 PM
Not A Chance!

Have you heard anything specific about these types of recations?

Kim

avia
11-18-2002, 08:24 PM
There is a wealth of information out there, however, I have been told on this board I am not to give out other web site addresses so I am afraid you will have to hunt for them yourself. I just know that I have been having numbness, burning, stinging, humming, vibrating, buzzing feelings in my arm, legs, hands and feel since 3 weeks after my flu shot last year (2001). I have seen my GP, a Neurologist and a doctor specializing in Physical Medicine and they all said it was "possible". There are horror stories out there where people were far worse off than I was.

WoodRunner
11-20-2002, 04:59 PM
I am a type 1 diabetic and suffer from painful neuropothy. I also have Addison's Disease and Pernicous Anemia. Shouldn't I get a flu shot? I was planning to get one next week, but after reading your comments, I'm not sure.

avia
11-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Only you can make that decision. I only know I wished I had done more research on the subject before my shot. I was given a paper to sign that had some mumbo jumbo on it about "Guillian Barre Syndrome" but I thought, "I have gotten this thing for years and nothing has ever happend in the past". If only I could turn back those hands of time. There is nothing certain that is my problem but at least I would know that wasn't my problem! I have told my husband a thousand times over that I would have rather had the flu than this torture I am living through. I am retired and not even around sick people all that much any more but I got it cause they were saying that if a person was exposed to anthrax they could not tell if it was the flu or anthorax exposure. (This was 2001)Your doctor will probably tell you flat out not to worry and get the shot but you can't unring a bell once the stuff is in your body. Type in "Guillian Barre Syndrome in your search engine and do some reading before deciding.

geop
12-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Oh My God!! I took the flu shot for the first time in my life last year and whithin 2 days started suffering from flu-like symptoms. The symptoms progressed, changed and never really went away. I also have and are still suffering numbing hands (mostly at night, burning tongue etc. The symptoms have diminished somewhat in the past year but are still there. Have had a battery of tests including HIV (3 times) and no problems found. I can also assure you that I'll never get a flu shot again.