PDA

View Full Version : Nucleo ANA Pattern: Can it be lupus?

blessedmom10
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I have screened positive for ANA with a pattern of Nucleo and a titer of >1:2560. I also tested high for c-reactive protein, my sed rate was 54 and my AST was high with 37 and I was positive for SSB. I see my rhematologist to go over these results in about 10 days. My main symptoms are swelling in my hands and severe pain in my hand and forearm when I lay down at night. The pain goes away when I stand up for a few minutes but come back soon after lying back down. I also have Raynaud's syndrome. No symptoms at all until two months ago. Started with Raynaud's and pain began about 1 month ago and has gotten increasingly worse each week. Could this be lupus or does the ANA pattern of Nucleo rule this out? The nurse who called me about the abnormal results specifically mentioned lupus. ANyone have any ideas?

VeeJ
07-19-2010, 07:17 AM
blessedmom, hi. Obviousy I'm only a patient, so please read this in that light, OK? ANA isn't specific to lupus. I don't think a certain pattern necessarily rules anything in, or anything out, because patterns may not correlate perfectly to the possibilities. Therefore in your shoes I'd ask the rheumatologist to comment on the *more specific* findings you have so far:
1. c-reactive protein (maybe RA? maybe other conditions, too?)
2. AST (something to do with liver?)
3. SSB. When SSB (a/k/a anti-La) is positive but SSA (anti-Ro) isn't, I have no idea what that may suggest (sorry). For sure, *SSA* is seen in Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, and maybe other things too... but I don't know about SSB.

Is this the first rheumatology appointment you've had? I hope it goes well & takes you a huge first step toward answers and help. Post updates when you can, OK? Good luck & best wishes, from Vee

blessedmom10
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
blessedmom, hi. Obviousy I'm only a patient, so please read this in that light, OK? ANA isn't specific to lupus. I don't think a certain pattern necessarily rules anything in, or anything out, because patterns may not correlate perfectly to the possibilities. Therefore in your shoes I'd ask the rheumatologist to comment on the *more specific* findings you have so far:
1. c-reactive protein (maybe RA? maybe other conditions, too?)
2. AST (something to do with liver?)
3. SSB. When SSB (a/k/a anti-La) is positive but SSA (anti-Ro) isn't, I have no idea what that may suggest (sorry). For sure, *SSA* is seen in Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, and maybe other things too... but I don't know about SSB.

Is this the first rheumatology appointment you've had? I hope it goes well & takes you a huge first step toward answers and help. Post updates when you can, OK? Good luck & best wishes, from Vee

Hi Vee,

Thanks for the response. I have only been to one rhematology appointment and this was the results from the blood tests that were done. I had a follow up appointment for Aug. 5th, but was moved up to next Tuesday instead. When they called to tell me that I definitely have a connective tissue disease like Lupus, I asked for my test results to be mailed to me so I would go back prepared to ask questions based on those. I don't know how prepared I am but I have made the decision to base how I feel on how I feel on any given day not on how the internet says I should feel! It seems obvious that everyone's symptoms are different even if they have been diagnosed with the same thing. Overall I am pretty sure that I feel better than most people probably do and I count that as a blessing from God. If there's any specific questions that you think I should ask next week, I would appreciate the suggestion. May God Bess You for being a support to someone else in need. Blessed Mom

VeeJ
07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Blessed, I think you're on the right track with the very rational thought that you should report just how you feel, no more, no less. I think lupus & some close cousins can remain mild in many, especially with medical help & luck.

As far as questions, ask about the items already noted. I'd also list all known problems, as far back as you can compile. (When I first read that sticky post about "alternative criteria", I felt like hitting my head on the nearest wall.) Also, ask if sun (UV rays) might be exacerbating your rashes & other issues; and if so, what protective measures you should take.

But main thing is to forge on, which clearly you're doing! Do post updates when you can, OK? We're all thinking of you! With hugs & best wishes, Vee