Message Boards Health Guide Join for Free User Blogs Board Index

View Full Version : whats all this Accutane talk im hearing...

just this guy
01-08-2002, 10:15 PM
i havent been on this board in a while so i dont know whats going on....

whats it this Accutane stuf???

i hear its for acne?

where can i get it?

does it work?

lol sorry i need to know

01-09-2002, 03:59 AM
It's prescription..it's the last thing derms will prescripe. They might be even more carefull now since the kind that flew the airplane in the building, used Accutane.

01-09-2002, 05:53 AM
I have used accutane and its the BEST. And don't believe these preachers of doom, accutane isn't that harsh that everyone think it is. I was scared when I got the prescription when I read all these "accutane will kill you posts". Well, it cleared me up, I got no pimples at all and haven't gotten any since I stopped. During the course I only had some dry skin, dry lips and a slight stiffnes in my lower back. My liver and cholesterol values was PERFECT during the course and it was the best antidepressant I ever got my hands on. Never been happier, and I still am.

So go to your local derm and get a precription on accutane and you have a 90% chance of never getting pimples again.

The naysayers on this board are most likely among the 10% that don't get that good results/relaps. I don't believe in the depressive effect of this drug. Of course you get depressed if you are on this final solution and it wont clear you....

01-09-2002, 06:21 AM
I agree with the post above. Accutane is the only thing that works. How long your pimples stay away is another question, but as for my husband they have stayed away so far for 11 years...

01-09-2002, 05:09 PM
I disagree. Accutane is definitely not the only thing that works and it DOESN'T WORK for everyone. I don't believe it cures acne. Just know the side effects and realize that they may happen to you. I will always wish I hadn't taken it and will always warn others.

01-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Reeny, what side affect did you get from accutane? Cuz I noticed you said you wished you never tried accutane... Is it any thing really serious? Are you ok? I'm thinking of using accutane if the topical medication I'm using right now dosen't work.

01-10-2002, 03:38 AM
A lesson in medical psychology.

If you read about a side effect, and are afraid of it. You will most likely "get" it. The power of the mind is extremely powerful.

Get your life a new start and get accutane. It will cure you. If you are young, have extremely sever acne or are female you may need to retake it.

02-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Im 18 years old and am about to start acutane in about two weeks. I have had acne for 7 years and am tired of fighting it. I am scared of the side effects. i was thinking of backing out of taking it because of some stuff i have read if anyone has any advice please feel me in i well proble go through with it any way just to say i tryed it.

02-06-2002, 08:46 PM
That whole airplane thing with the boy turned back negative about using Accutane.

07-19-2002, 08:22 PM
I just started Accutane 3 weeks ago.

I cannot understand why anybody would be "afraid" of going on Accutane. If you have a level head going into the medication, I don't see how Accutane treatment is going to warp your world into a suicidal wasteland. I jumped at the opportunity to get treated with Accutane.

In my opinion, Accutane side-effects should be tolerable to all but the MOST sensitive of patients. Chances are, if you've endured Acne to the point of needing Accutane, you will surely be able to endure the Accutane itself.

Remember, critics will always come out of the woodwork to "warn people" against it, while the other 90% of people who took the drug have nothing to say about it - because it did what it said it would do and cleared their skin. On the Internet, I frequently see people who say, "Accutane did not work". However, you must stop to think why these people are still posting to Acne bulletin boards - their acne was not cured. How many people on this board HAVE clear skin anyway? Probably close to 0%. It's a very skewed statistical pool to be asking questions to.

In person, among my friends and acquaintances (in other words, places OTHER than the Internet), Accutane has had 100% success (I have talked with at least a dozen people). Maybe the reason some people don't think Accutane works is because they stay inside all day looking at Acne forums while they're afraid to go outside and face the world with their blemished skin.

Well, rest assured, critics, that Accutane came with pages and pages of warnings. Believe me when I say it's in Roche's interest to warn people of side-effects. Acne sufferers don't really need your discouraging remarks about lost salvation. Remember, the placebo effect is very powerful, and you might be doing more harm than good although you have good intentions.

07-19-2002, 08:33 PM
"I cannot understand why anybody would be "afraid" of going on Accutane. If you have a level head going into the medication, I don't see how Accutane treatment is going to warp your world into a suicidal wasteland." I hope this dont offend anyone but I totally agree with that. Some people are stronger than others and with a mindset thinking that this drug will not do anything to you would really help.

07-20-2002, 12:44 AM
I am on my 2nd day of accutane, and I was a little freaked out at first. In fact, I've read enough on these boards that I have decided to take a break from the internet for a while. I really believe that suggestion will push me over the edge. I have chronic anxiety disorder, so it's difficult enough not to worry.

However, I know those that had bad luck are just trying to help. It's hard to tell how any med will affect any one person. I am excited about the opportunity, and my derm told me that even if it doesn't clear my acne up completely, it will be much more manageable after having been on accutane. I can deal with that. I don't want to be on antibiotics forever because those wreck more havoc in the long run.

Remember, antibiotics are meant to alter your immune system. Well, they altered mine to the point that I thought I had a brain tumor. I was having all these neurological symptoms -- turns out -- it was the antibiotics.

So, I will be happy if I never have to be on them again. If I have to treat forever with a topical, no big deal. But I am being very careful with my health as I try accutane. I'm applying sunscreen and moisturizer liberally every day, and I'm already using eye drops (I wear contacts) and chapstick several times a day. I haven't started getting dry yet, but I know it's coming. I am also making sure I don't drive at night and don't drink alcohol.

So, I think I'm taking reasonable precautions.

I am going away for a little while. I'll keep a daily accutane diary, in hopes it will keep me patient and sane. I just want to tell all of you that I hope you do well and find success with whatever treatment you are using.

07-20-2002, 03:08 AM
I have trouble believing success stories when they are so inaccurate,

i.e.’ So go to your local derm and get a precription on accutane and you have a 90% chance of never getting pimples again.’

This is complete misinformation and sounds like an advert.

The largest study on acne relapse associated with Accutane use is below and shows a different story.

Predictive factors for failure of isotretinoin treatment in acne patients: results from a cohort of 237 patients.

Lehucher-Ceyrac D, de La Salmoniere P, Chastang C, Morel P.
Dermatology. 1999;198(3):278-83.
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Saint-Louis, Paris, France.

BACKGROUND: The efficacy of oral isotretinoin in acne has been established, though the role of the mean daily dose (MDD) is still unclear.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the predictive factors of resistance to oral isotretinoin and the role of the MDD of isotretinoin on relapse of acne while taking into account patient characteristics and the total cumulative dose (TCD).

METHODS: Two hundred and thirty-seven patients treated with oral isotretinoin for the first time were enrolled by a single dermatologist. Patients with closed comedonal acne and with hyperandrogenism received adequate therapy prior to isotretinoin.

RESULTS: Closed comedonal acne was the only predictive factor of resistance to isotretinoin with an adjusted OR = 2.7 (95% CI: 1.0-7.3). The estimated rates of relapse at 1, 3 and 5 years were 14, 40 and 48%, respectively. Age and grade of facial acne were the only predictive factors for relapse with adjusted relative risks of 0.6 (95% CI: 0.4-0.8 ) for age >/= 20 and 1.5 (95% CI: 1.0-2.2) for grade > 3. CONCLUSION: MDD, TCD, closed comedonal acne and hyperandrogenism that have been adequately treated prior to isotretinoin treatment had no prognostic value for relapse.

Anyway Accutane is a serious medication for a horrible condition i.e serious nodular acne and is reserved for only this type of acne because is has been associated with many serious adverse drug reactions. The FDA indicated last year that Accutane ranks 4th in the top ten list of drugs attracting serious adverse drug reactions (ADR’s) out of 500,000 drugs.

Make sure if you are thinking of taking the drug you do your research on the drug so that you can make a well informed decision. Do not rely on posts by people that are inaccurate and promote the drug.

Take care

07-20-2002, 03:41 AM

You state :

'Believe me when I say it's in Roche's interest to warn people of side-effects.'

This is completely inaccurate. I trust you unaware of the fact that Roche have been reprimanded for not passing on serious adverse drug reactions in relation to Accutane to the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), falsely adverting Accutane and never warning patients about psychological side effects until 1998, some 16 years after the drugs introduction although they had thousands of people reporting depressive symptoms whilst on and off the drug. Also why did Roche warn France in 1993 that the drug could cause depression and other mental illness some 5 years before other countries? Why did they not warn the rest of the world?

Similar with birth defects, they only appropriately warned patients some 9 months after the introduction of the drug that it could cause birth defects when they started to be born, although Roche, from what I understand were warned some 10 years before by one of their consultants that the drug would cause birth defects.

Add to this the fact that Roche was convicted last year for instigating one of the largest corporate frauds and fined some $1 billion by both the US government and European Union; you do not have a company that is well known for its candour. With all this going on you want to tell us that it’s in Roche’s interest to warn people of side effects that will no doubt affect ‘Profit’!!!!!!!

07-20-2002, 09:24 AM
Anyone considering taking Roaccutane needs to do their own research (the good points and the bad points) and make their own 'informed' decision.

For me it was easy. I was at the end of my rope. I was desperate. I had moderate-severe acne for over ten years without a single day of respite. I started on Roaccutane and within 2-3months my acne stopped completely. I have not had another pimple outbreak since this time (about 5-6 years ago now).

For ***Me*** , this drug worked.

It turned my life around - I now have a normal life - something that I craved for every single day during my ten years of hell whilst I had acne.

I am not promoting the drug or the drug company that makes it - I'm just telling you all exactly what happened for me using this drug.

good luck and best wishes to everyone out there...

07-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Every drug has a success rate and some "bad" stories. You can balance all you want but Accutane is the closest thing to a cure. You cant expect to become clear and not give up something. You all know that becoming "clear" isn't very easy for us. Instead of telling people how bad Accutane is or any other drug, you should encourage them to take it. Everyone has different reactions to the drug. And, it's not really nice saying how bad Accutane is when we got users on this board using...they're trying to stay optimistic you know..and those posts dont help at all. I've been off Accutane for awhile and during treatment I didn't experience any of those bad side effects. Add this to another success story. It's not Roche's fault that the statistics change everyday..Those numbers are constantly changing..Roche isn't going to post the statistics every single day. Tell me DC...have you taken Accutane?

[This message has been edited by ForgottenFaith (edited 07-20-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by ForgottenFaith (edited 07-20-2002).]

07-20-2002, 12:39 PM

To cut a very long story short yes I did take Accutane 8 years ago and I have since suffered many long term persistent side effects that have been directly linked to my taking the drug. I was not warned about any of them. For one particular side effect Roche new it was persistent and was directly linked to ingestion of the drug however they did not add it as a listed side effect. Wrote a report to them last year about it. The side effect now appears in the documentation as of January 2002. Am doing the same for many other side effects the manufacturer has not disclosed, including loss of libido and impotence, as many people have contacted our group and reported such side effects both on and off the drug.

I am in constant contact with many sufferers of persistent long-term physical & mental side-effects after taking Accutane/Roaccutane who were never warned about such side effects. Our group has received 1000’s of emails specifically in relation to people suffering mental side effects both while taking the drug and off it and some will unfortunately never recover.

I disagree with you entirely with when you state ‘you should encourage them to take it.’ You have got to be kidding right!! It is for the dermatologist to decide whether a person needs the drug and whether their acne warrants so called ‘controlled Vitamin A poisoning’ as opposed to people on forums encouraging them to see their dermatologist and demand Accutane.

Also what do you exactly mean when you state :

‘It's not Roche's fault that the statistics change everyday. Those numbers are constantly changing..Roche isn't going to post the statistics every single day’

This has nothing to do with what I have said in my posts, I quoted no stats but just stated that the drug is ranked by the FDA as No. 4th in the top ten lists of drugs attracting serious adverse drug reactions out of 500,000 drugs. Your comments to be honest make no sense.

07-20-2002, 01:21 PM
My comments wouldn't make any sense to you because that's not what you want to hear. You'd rather have me write bad things about Accutane. I'm sorry that Accutane didn't work for you but stop putting the drug down. And, I didn't bring up the statistics part as response to your post.<p>[This message has been edited by ForgottenFaith (edited 07-20-2002).]

07-20-2002, 05:55 PM
It doesn't seem that the point of these boards should be to attack people on either side.

Yes, I am on accutane, and I admit, it's hard to hear all these horror stories. It scares me, but I'm at a loss because accutane is my last resort. I have been on it 3 days now, and haven't had any problems, but of course it hasn't been very long.

I will say I had multiple problems with the use of antibiotics. I will never use them again if at all possible. They broke down my immune system and made me very sick.

I read for hours about accutane before starting the prescription. My Derm has been practicing 30 years, and I asked him about the side effects. My sister is a pharmacist, and I asked her about the side effects. Both told me that they've never seen suicidal depression or any other devasting side effects. A few patients experienced temporary hair thinning and almost all experienced some severe drying of skin and lips. Two of my derm's patients got pregnent despite repeated warnings and opted to have abortions.

My pills came with a plethora of warnings... so much that it's hard to get to the actual pill! On each individual pill, there's a picture of a pregnant woman with an X through it.

When you've had a bad experience, it's natural to not want others to have the same problems. I will always warn people to be careful of minocycline because I had such a bad reaction to it. However, I will also wish them more luck than I had.

Let's work on supporting, not attacking each other. I appreciate both the warnings about accutane and the success stories. They are both helpful. Now I need someone to remind me to take it one day at a time. I will make it. I will not panic about drug side effects. I will simply listen to my body, as we should all do. Take care.

07-21-2002, 02:10 AM

Yes you are right; your comments and other peoples are not what I want to hear. Promoting and misinforming people about Accutane is exactly what I and our group do not want to hear and read on forums.
Success stories are fine so long as they don’t make some wild promises that the drug has some ‘90% chance of curing peoples acne forever’ and further other inaccurate comments that ‘Its in Roche’s interest to warn people about side effects of the drug’ and ‘We should be encouraging people to take the drug’

I have explained my reasons why I object to such comments being made and they do not need repeating.

Just one final thing. Exactly whose statistics were you referring to on this thread then? I have read it again and there is no mention of any!<p>[This message has been edited by DC (edited 07-22-2002).]

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!