PDA

View Full Version : Can GERD make you feel like vomit is coming back up? Please reply.

Rls1994
03-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I also have constant nausea and I'm 18... I also get the feeling of vomit coming up my esophagus a LOT and I'm petrified of vomiting... I'm so SICK of living with this and very close to giving up.. My parents are constantly nagging at me for not sleeping at night yet I can't sleep because I feel like I might puke all night.. I've had countless tests done and have all come back normal.. The only tests I haven't had are an endoscopy which is on the 1st May.. so I've got to put up with this crap for another month. I've had this bad for several months now so I'm sure I can cope for another month. If they find anything with the scope I will let you all know.

Rls1994
03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
My condition remains a mystery as no one seems to know what it is, even the doctors and I've seen several different ones. I thought it was GERD at first but it seems like everything I eat and drink sets it off now, which worries me as I thought that's what stomach/esophageal cancer does?

It doesn't matter what I eat or drink anymore, I can feel it shooting back up minutes later. I've never vomited from it though although I've been close so many times now. I'm petrified of vomiting anyway, so I only vomit if it comes up forcefully and I have no choice. This morning I felt it come up but I thought it could be a burp, so I tried forcing it out and this liquid stuff came up and tasted like vomit. It didn't burn or anything like that, it just felt like weird clear water. I don't really have any other symptoms besides a random stomach ache sometimes and makes noises.

I struggle to sleep anymore because I can feel it come up, even when I'm propped up on several pillows.. I'm currently on Motilium 10mg and Omeprazole 40mg daily and I see no differences and I thought that if it WAS GERD then the Omeprazole should have been working. I've tried modifying my diet and chewing my food done to liquid before swallowing it and still get it. I'm really confused and I'd like to know if anyone here has experience this or has it too? I'm really sick of it and would like some answers. Thank you.

edit: I'd also like to mention that I NEVER have heartburn whatsoever. I have never felt burning in my throat or anything. Only on the rare odd occasion that I would burp and it would taste very acidic. But that only happens like, once a month..

nhp
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
hey Rls1994,
Try not to give up hope! An endoscopy is a really good idea. Mine showed that I had erosions and H pylori and that my stomach was severely infected. Unfortunately the antibiotics to cure that made me worse and I'm still suffering. But if they find something with this endoscopy that's already a step forward. Keep us posted and good luck!!

Stretch1one
03-28-2013, 08:22 PM
If your problem is a weak or defected LES no medication will help. I have this issue also constant food and drink coming back up on me mine is from a damaged LES found from a upper GI I also have Gerds and Barrets but this come from years of this issue damaged or Barrett's under 40 yrs old is very uncommon. As for how to stop I'm afraid I still have the issue but you could check out web site on reflux most recommend smaller meal that sort of thing I find for me crackers and bread muffins those type of things stay down the best. Good luck

solofelix
03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Could be the Omeprazole not suiting you. I was taking Nexium but felt it did nothing for me.
I have had similar symptoms to you caused by my Hiatal-Hernia.
Have you had an Endoscopy to see what is causing this. I also had regurgitating symptoms with H.Pylori. If not I would advice it.

Solofelix.

Rls1994
03-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My doctor told me not to worry about Barrett's esophagus as she said people don't get it my age. (I'm 18..). That's what I'm really worried about. It's something that cannot be treated and I'm going to develop something incredibly serious somewhere down the line.

My Dad has a weak esophagus and weakened LES so it does kinda run in the family. My Dad has never had the symptoms I've had though.. All he said he gets is acid coming up (something that never happens to me), and feeling of food coming back up (similar to me).

I also thought it could be a hernia as well, but I've seen what can cause hernia's and I've done none of the things that could cause one. I also thought they only really happen to people over 50.

I have an endoscopy scheduled for the 1st May, so I haven't got that long to wait.

I have another question.. Someone (not the doctors) told me to stop taking my Omeprazole as it will mask the problems they will look for in my esophagus and stomach. Is this true? Should I stop taking them?

edit: I've also been tested for H.Pylori infection and some other things and they'll all come back normal. :)

Rls1994
03-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks. :)

I've also been tested for H.Pylori but it's came back negative. I've also been tested for Gastritis and that also came back negative. I hope you feel better soon as well.

Stretch1one
03-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I would suggest a call to the GI Dr who will be doing the scope or someone at hat office will normally know I was not requested to stop any medications which was only omeprazole that would be interesting to find out cause I had taken my that morning I was soaped like a hour or two later

Rls1994
03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you. I'm going to be calling them on Monday. Happy Easter by the way. :)

Stretch1one
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Any updates on thing?

danabarb
04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I also have constant nausea and I'm 18... I also get the feeling of vomit coming up my esophagus a LOT and I'm petrified of vomiting... I'm so SICK of living with this and very close to giving up.. My parents are constantly nagging at me for not sleeping at night yet I can't sleep because I feel like I might puke all night.. I've had countless tests done and have all come back normal.. The only tests I haven't had are an endoscopy which is on the 1st May.. so I've got to put up with this crap for another month. I've had this bad for several months now so I'm sure I can cope for another month. If they find anything with the scope I will let you all know.

Go buy some aloe vera pills or juice. It works WONDERS!!!

Rls1994
04-29-2013, 01:52 AM
I've tried literally everything, including the things you mentioned. Nothing works. :( I've got an endoscopy on Wednesday and I'm sooo anxious about it since I'm the biggest wimp ever when it comes to medical procedures.

solofelix
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi,

I've had four endoscopy's. Like you I was terrified as I have problems with swallowing and almost choked once on a large pill, now every pill has to be crushed. For each endoscopy I have asked for Maximum Sedation and have had no recollection whatsoever of the entire procedure. I had No after effect's except for some gas in my stomach that went after a few hours and I was able to eat as soon as I got home.
Some people have no sedation and some a light one. I would rather not know anything about it so if your worried take my advice and good luck,

Solofelix.

Rls1994
04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Hiya,

thanks for the reply solofelix. :) Do I have to call them if I want to have that? Or do I just go to the hospital then ask for it there?

Like you, I'd rather not know about anything about what went on as it's just scary in my opinion.

solofelix
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
I see your in the U.K and their procedures are much the same as our's.
I asked for mine when I was being prepared before I was wheeled in to the treatment room and it was written on my notes. In the treatment room I asked for it again and said "I DO NOT want to know anything about the procedure, give me Maximum Sedation"... and that's what I got.
I think it's important to make yourself completely understood. The medical staff are very good with these procedures and will make sure your request will be met.
I will be thinking of you on Wed and I wish you the best, let me know how you got on afterward's.

Solofelix.

Leo255
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
I've tried literally everything, including the things you mentioned. Nothing works. :( I've got an endoscopy on Wednesday and I'm sooo anxious about it since I'm the biggest wimp ever when it comes to medical procedures.

Some people, including me, have actually had a manometry, which is where they essentially do an endoscopy with you fully awake...Dont worry about it, unless you're scared of sleeping. I actually find it pretty cool how they can just put you to sleep so easily.

About your condition, I would try to slowly wean off of the Prilosec...Try out Zantac or Pepcid, and see if that works...better if u take it before you eat. Also, you might not want to admit it, but you know certain foods that you eat are better than other foods you eat. We all have an ego, and don't like to admit that we could be wrong, but you're going to have to figure out your diet, as well.

catkaru
04-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi There! I agree with Leo255 as far as taking the Zantac before your meals, but give it about a half hour to get going. A lot of us think that if we just pop one right before we start eating everything will be fine.

Also agree with Solofelix I just saw my Gastro yesterday to set up my next Endo. At my place the Anastegioligist (sp) comes out to talk to me before hand and I am allowed to take a 0.5mg xanax before I come in. So no worries. Enjoy the sleep. I look forward to it lol.

I hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted!!

Low acid All,