PDA

View Full Version : Chest, arm and jaw pain caused by gerd ?

Tjdc1990
04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with acid reflux (gerd) approx 3 months ago when I was having chest pains, I went to hospital as I was also experiencing palpitations which I was later told was due to anxiety, at the hospital I had an ECG, blood tests etc. to see if I have any cardiac trouble I also wore a 24 hour holter monitor, all results came back fine so I went to see my gp who told me I have acid reflux and prescribed omeprazole (40mg) once daily. However the pains I feel are not heartburn but more aches or sharp pains sometimes I have a sharp pain under my bottom left ribs and can't move for a couple of seconds it's almost as if a muscle is popping through the gap in my ribs, I have a constant pain in my jaw and collarbone and sometimes my arm and not sure these are symptoms of gerd :S I also I feel spasm like feelings in my chest, I thought maybe the jaw pain is from clenching my jaw in my sleep due to other pains and these chest pains could be trapped wind or a hernia :/ does anyone else with acid reflux or anything else suffer with these symptoms ? Please let me know as I feel alone :(

kacyc
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Hi, sorry you are suffering and feel alone. What I can tell you is that I experienced pains in the jaw, cheeks, sternum, ribs, as well as fingers and feet as a result of taking PPIs (lansoprazole and omeprazole). So, I wonder how many of the symptoms you describe started after you started on 40mg omeprazole?

Did you have heartburn or did the doctor just diagnose gerd and put you on omeprazole anyway, as they often do, as a test to see if it helps?