PDA

View Full Version : GERD? Heart attack? So draining!

Kristine905
04-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I have suffered on and off with indigestion for many years. The older I have gotten the worse these symptoms have become and the doctor has told me I have GERD.

I take 40mg of prilosec 1x, sometimes 2x per day.

For a period of 6 months I felt pretty darn good and stopped taking the prilosec. (This was this past 6 months) Mostly because I ran out and I was too lazy to go right away for my physical. I would have occasional heartburn but nothing awful.

NOW, I have MASSIVE indigestion, chest pain, arm pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, lump in my throat. I have been in a panic thinking heart attack. The doctor tells me that statistically with my low BP, low cholesterol and being premenopausal it is unlikely that it is heart. Although I am overweight. So I am back to taking the prilosec.

The constant chest pain, now shortness of breath is making me completely crazy.

I would think if it was heart attack, after 2 weeks of this I would be dead...but I don't know what to do...pursue heart fears or accept GERD and try to come up with a more successful treatment.

I would appreciate ay thoughts!!

Stretch1one
04-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I think I speak for most GERDS sufferer all with disease have had the same issue I myself have had this issue ok so don't allow your dr to tell you how to feel sure a lot of it may be anxiety it's hard not to be anxious when your having those symptoms. You should ask to have a stress test done on your heart or a ultrasound done ask to see a cardiologist and have him clear your heart then that will be out of your mind. Have you seen a GI Dr ? Or is your PCP treating you only because they mean well this is not there specialty upper GI and abdominal ultra sound is important this will help to make sure if you do or do not have GERDS or even a Hiatal Hernia educate yourself on the disease it will go along way to helping you help the Dr diagnose you. I waited for years listening to my PCP letting him treat me over the years that's a big mistake by the time I educated myself and started insisting on treatments and procedures and seeing a GI dr well long story short when I i saw the GI Dr a upper GI was insisted upon immediately this was done about 14 months ago found I had barrett's esophagus non dysplasia thank god I have since change PCP even though I had him for 6 years I was just to bitter of yeah then the GI DR want to have all these other test done found a hiatal hernia small but still that explained the chest pain I had for so many years off and on so don't tame no for a answer be aggressive in your treatment its your live not theirs

lindav505
05-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I have suffered on and off with indigestion for many years. The older I have gotten the worse these symptoms have become and the doctor has told me I have GERD.

I take 40mg of prilosec 1x, sometimes 2x per day.

For a period of 6 months I felt pretty darn good and stopped taking the prilosec. (This was this past 6 months) Mostly because I ran out and I was too lazy to go right away for my physical. I would have occasional heartburn but nothing awful.

NOW, I have MASSIVE indigestion, chest pain, arm pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, lump in my throat. I have been in a panic thinking heart attack. The doctor tells me that statistically with my low BP, low cholesterol and being premenopausal it is unlikely that it is heart. Although I am overweight. So I am back to taking the prilosec.

The constant chest pain, now shortness of breath is making me completely crazy.

I would think if it was heart attack, after 2 weeks of this I would be dead...but I don't know what to do...pursue heart fears or accept GERD and try to come up with a more successful treatment.

I would appreciate ay thoughts!!

kacyc
05-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Kristine, when did you stop taking the prilosec?