PDA

View Full Version : 1 week post op Fundoplication

orsb22
04-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Hello
I am currently One week post op from having a fundoplication wrap done. I feel that I am healing well, I am able to burp normally and pain is not to much of a issue.I am currently on the full liquid diet. I was just wondering how others transitioned between the liquid to soft diet then to a normal diet? How long ? any tips? I know every person is soooo different so it makes things hard to pin point. How long did the healing process take ? especially for swelling of the stomach to go down? Anything helps ! Oh and by the way I am diabetic as well if that helps!
Thank you so much

MountainReader
04-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi. Welcome to HealthBoards.

I had my fundoplication in 2008. I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, then a soft diet for a couple weeks, then I added solids except bread and meat. I waited about 3 months before adding in breads and solid meats. Those two items don't break down well and are easy to get caught above the wrap if you aren't careful. (Don't worry if it happens though. Eventually everthing works its way down.)

I started adding back soft foods like mashed potatoes and soft mac and cheese early on. Those worked well for me.

You will feel much better after a few weeks. I was back to work and doing well after 2 weeks. I was just a bit slower. From what my docs told me, it takes about 8 weeks for the swelling to completely subside in the stomach.

If you are concerned about proteins, you could try steaming your ground beef in water which breaks it down fine instead of browning it in chunks. I like mine that way.

I did a lot of smoothies for a while after my first week. Those helped me keep my balance.

I wish you well.