PDA

View Full Version : Sinus problems... or GERD/LPR?

whithersoever
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
For the past few years, I've been having sinus problems. Most days I'm fine, if a bit stuffy, but every few weeks the pressure will build up, and there will be one day where I just feel absolutely terrible, and sometimes have to throw up to feel better.

I've seen a couple of ENTs with no luck. One was several years ago and I can't even remember the specifics, but it was a huge waste of time. Saw one a few months ago and he tried to prescribe me migraine medicine. Before anyone tries to point it out, yes, I know a lot of people actually have migraines when they think they're sinus headaches. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, now I'm wondering if it might have something to do with acid reflux. In the past few months, I've had two bouts of what I guess is heartburn. The last bout was a bit over a month ago. My throat was a bit tight, almost felt like a lump; and it kind of felt like something was in my chest - not a sharp pain, but pressure, I guess. Sorry, I'm really terrible at describing the sensation. Burping would help to relieve the pressure. In fact, when I burp now (on purpose), it still feels kind of odd - like I can feel it traveling up my chest (though it feels like it's slightly on the left side) from where that chest pressure previously was. The heartburn/chest pain lasted about 2 weeks, and I took Omeprazole (both times).

This, plus post-nasal drip, plus mucous-y saliva when I wake up in the morning, plus chest pain when I sneeze (which isn't often, but it usually hurts a bit) - makes me wonder if I have GERD, or maybe more likely, LPR. I don't typically notice any acid reflux.

I do plan on seeing another doctor at some point (I'm just kind of discouraged right now), but I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any input.

BTW, I'm a 26 year-old female, I do drink a bit of caffeine (cup of coffee in the morning, maybe a soda during the day), don't smoke, drink a bit of alcohol every weekend or two. I've been eating better but still have a couple of bad days each week. I'm also pretty stressed most of the time.

Thanks!