PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody get blood in saliva at night?

Lisalilbee
05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi, I'm new to this, so here goes, I think I have acid reflux, my symptons are , sore throat, difficulty swallowing, a lot of excess saliva/ water brash? Clearing of throat, feeling like I'm going to choke, burping, right shoulder ache? And it all started about 2 months ago, I was short on breath and it was really quite scary, I also fainted, but only for about 10 seconds, but after an excessive night out of smoking and drinking it seem to trigger off the shortness of breath, I went to the hospital had chest X-rays , blood tests, but they said everything was fine, since then I haven't drank or smoked( never smoking again) the shortness of breath got better, but I still have acid reflux symptons, although it took about 10 trips to the doctors, and finally one said it could be acid reflux?
But what worrys me the most is at night when I have been lying down after an hour or so I have blood in my saliva, or its brown, this is not all the time, roughly every other night, the other night it was bright red and frothy, does anybody else get this? Is this a sympton of acid reflux? I am booked in for an endoscopy, and had loads of tests on my lungs to see if anything was wrong but all test was fine, thanks for reading

Jason70
05-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes, this has happened to me intermittently for the past 4 or 5 months. It happens a couple hours after I fall asleep when I have a reflux episode. I then wake up and noticed blood in my saliva. My lungs are affected too. Not sure if the blood in the saliva is coming from my mouth, throat or lungs.

Lisalilbee
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi, yes exactly the same as me, after a couple of hours of being asleep, as later on or in the morning it's not there, I can't work out where it comes from and it freaks me out, although I have had to chest X-rays , a lung function test and blood tests that was clear, so was hoping its not my lungs, I will have an endcospy so hopefully that will find out .

Jason70
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
It's quite strange.

Ive had the same tests and they've been normal too. I do intermittently have LPR symptoms as well as reflux at night. The reflux at night directly affects my breathing. I changed my diet to remove grains and dairy. It can take a couple weeks for a body to adjust. So far, my symptoms have been getting better since avoiding diary though its only been 3 days (too early to tell).

Lisalilbee
05-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for diet advice, it's been a tough couple of months and been so fed up with it, :-)

Jason70
06-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Just wondering if you have any further updates?

Lisalilbee
06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi, it's still all a bit bizarre , and the doctor to be honest is not that helpful, I was meant to be referred and have an encoposy, but it's been weeks, but I don't have such bad symptons as a month ago, I have been cutting down on diet coke, fatty foods, alcohol, but I sleep through the night but have brownish saliva if I wake up, but by the morning it's clear again,I try not to worry as much as had normal chest X-ray and blood tests , but will only have brown/ red saliva when I have been asleep, how about you?

Jason70
06-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I had an endoscopy and discovered I have gastritis. I still have problems with this and I also had an ENT scope my throat. He found evidence of LPR but did not find anything that would cause this brownish/reddish colored saliva.
Its still a mystery...

Lisalilbee
06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi, thanks for reply,I'm still waiting for a endoscopy , and still get red/ brownish salviva , occasionly bright red,but acid reflux is a bit better, but seems to be when I first wake up in the middle of the night,but the doctor doesn't know why this happens, maybe as your asleep the muscle of the lower esophagus relaxes letting through stomach contents? I have been googleing these symptons , bu one day would like to resolve this

solofelix
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Have you had an Endoscopy to see if you might have an ulcer.
I woke one night with blood all over the pillow and I was found to have an Ulcer. (just a thought)...

Solofelix.

Lisalilbee
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks, I'm still waiting for an endoscopy.

Jason70
09-08-2013, 07:08 AM
I have some interesting news.

I stopped having this problem at night!

I started taking 3mg of Melatonin and these episodes started to slowly go away. After about a month on Melatonin, I stopped having this problem. I read Melatonin can cure reflux based on this clinical study:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2821302/
Click on "Table 2" and you'll see the Lower Esophageal Sphincter is strengthened by Melatonin!

I also in the past week started taking 3000IU of Vitamin D. My goal is to get my Vitamin D score between 60-80 as recommended by Dr. Gominak. This combination is definitely helping with my LPR symptoms and GERD at night while I sleep.

There is a very important video presentation on ******* by Dr. Gominak. Just search ******* by her last name "Gominak" and the 5 part series will be listed.

Also, search on ******* "Melatonin and the Pineal Gland"
Very informative video.

My gastritis is also gone and my stomach has returned to normal. I can eat/drink anything now without any pain.

Jason70
09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
In the past 4 days, I've increased my Vitamin D to 7,000IU. After doing more research, it takes a lot of D to make a noticeable improvement in a persons score. I will be testing my Vitamin D at the end of the month.

It's my understanding Melatonin is only available by prescription over in the UK.

Jason70
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Just as a continuing update, I still have not had any blood in my saliva at night since being on melatonin and vitamin D. My LPR symptoms have also gotten much better.

Lisalilbee
10-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi, that's great, I had the camera at the back of the throat and the doctor confirmed it's LPR reflux, I'm on gavison and lamoprazable , which helps, I did have quite a few tests which was all normal like full blood count tests, but I think i Ned to try harder with my diet, as if I eat carbs and dairy my stomach makes loud noises, there is blood in my saliva still but it's only when I wake up, after 2-3 hours of being asleep , I never have evevidence of blood in my mouth like if I sleep the whole night through I would never know,plus it goes lighter in colour as the night goes on like light brown, doctor does not concerned about it and thinks it's coming from my mouth / gums and need go change my diet , but I will take you advice on board as sounds like we have the same thing, glad your better, and hope I will kick this soon.