PDA

View Full Version : Is this gerd or something else

oldpot
05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
hi,
over the last 4-5 months i have been having on and off problems with ,
nose infection(got nose spray from doctors)
burning in throat and burning that goes to my back low burning
feels like food is stuck
chest pains mild , post nasal drip
smelly gas
sinus and ear where i got to blow my ears out ,
feeling dizzy and
Nausea,
normaly its not bothered me that much as thought i got just post nasal drip ,and after few days goes away then comes back now and again ,

but felt ok for last 2 weeks apart from a bad pulled muscle in bottom of back due to gardening but

3 days back after a night of the beer and 3-4 puffs of weed ,(to help pain in back and my disc buglers) i woke up to burning sensation in my throat happened before after night out ,but goes away after a few hours , well the burning was mild first day but last 2 days it comes and goes from dull (1) to high(4) out of 5, burning its there nearly all the time last 2 days and been hard to sleep ,and sometimes mild chest ache in the middle just below throat top of chest is that goes to the my back as well as does the burning , ,but most concerning thing i got is when i walk for a few mins or bend down , i get the burning that intense (4-5)and sometime pain that again goes from throat to back, after a rest it goes down to just an ache low burning ), i been taking antacid and pain pills not been to doctors yet ,
is this gerd or something else as i am getting worried what it could be .
ty for listening

kacyc
05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Did you by any chance take any anti-inflammatories for your back?

oldpot
05-30-2013, 05:54 AM
[QUOTE=kacyc;5180964]Did you by any chance take any anti-inflammatories for your back?[/QUOTE

yes i was taking them for the pain and muscle relaxers , and been taking them on and off for a few years or when the pain get bad for my 2 disc buglers i got as well .
yesterday was not as bad as the other days , but still gets intense burning from throat to back when i walk or do any activities .

kacyc
05-30-2013, 10:25 AM
OK, it sounds to me like the same as happened to me.... anti-inflammatory drugs are renowned for causing ulcers. That doesn't mean you have an ulcer, but what happens in order to cause an ulcer is that the anti-inflams strip the mucous membranes of mucous which, in the GI tract, protects against acid and pepsin. Sounds like you were baring up to having a compromised osophagus until you drank alcohol, which then burns the lining of the osophagus, not sufficiently protected by a coating of mucous.

Dr's will label it as gerd, and want to give you PPIs, but all you need to do is allow the osophagus to heal, which you can do by cutting out all triggers for a few weeks.

Most of the symptoms you describe could be caused by the anti-inflammatories, or the resulting osophagitis. But don't give yourself a label, its like having a sore throat - it will heal.. if you allow it to.

oldpot
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM
ty for your input kacyc,
i have stopped taking the anti- flammable pills since this started , you said (all trigger what do you mean)you mean like eat small meals , don't eat 3 hours before bed etc etc,no beer , i just come back from my allotment and i had to sit down for 10 mins the burning was that bad , its was like i could not breath at times but after 10 mins sat down was ok , but when i got back up after few mins it was back .i was thinking it mtself it might be acid reflux, or ulcer or chest infection but hope doctor can sort it in a few days time, ty again for your input .

kacyc
05-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Definately no alcohol until you are better!

It sounds like working on the allotment is also a trigger - the bending over and digging or whatever you were doing will be causing stomach contents to come up the osophagus and because it is likely to be inflammed you are feeling it. It probably always happens, but you don't normally feel it.

When we feel ill we hope that doctors will be able to sort it out, but you will need to take control yourself.

pinaay
05-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Quite a few of your symptoms seem to correspond with traditional GERD symptoms, especially your mentions of nausea, post-nasal drip, chest pains and difficulty swallowing. Anatomically, the nasal cavity, throat and stomach are all connected and when there's a problem such as GERD, the throat and esophagus are affected.

If you have GERD, anti acids will not be enough. You need acid inhibitors such as Prevacid to reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces, which in turn prevents acid from being regurgitated into the throat. Such medication must be prescribed however, and I would suggest going to a doctor with your concerns and perhaps getting a referral to an ENT.

Painkillers seem to cause stomach problems in a lot of individuals, and perhaps taking this medication aggravated your symptoms. I would suggest trying an alternate form of relieving your back pain, at least until you start seeing improvement with your other symptoms. I also suggest that you try not to consume alcohol or weed, as these products often make acid reflux a lot worse.

Another thing you can try is to raise the head of your bed by supporting it with bricks or using a wedge pillow.I'm not sure if that might make your back problems worse, but that you woke up to a burning sensation seems to suggest that your acid reflux might be worse at night, as is the case with most people. You might also try mixing some baking soda with water and drinking it to help manage your heartburn symptoms. Sometimes, this works for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

pinaay
05-30-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Quite a few of your symptoms seem to correspond with traditional GERD symptoms, especially your mentions of nausea, post-nasal drip, chest pains and difficulty swallowing. Anatomically, the nasal cavity, throat and stomach are all connected and when there's a problem such as GERD, the throat and esophagus are affected.

If you have GERD, anti acids will not be enough. You need acid inhibitors such as Prevacid to reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces, which in turn prevents acid from being regurgitated into the throat. Such medication must be prescribed however, and I would suggest going to a doctor with your concerns and perhaps getting a referral to an ENT.

Painkillers seem to cause stomach problems in a lot of individuals, and perhaps taking this medication aggravated your symptoms. I would suggest trying an alternate form of relieving your back pain, at least until you start seeing improvement with your other symptoms. I also suggest that you try not to consume alcohol or weed, as these products often make acid reflux a lot worse.

Another thing you can try is to raise the head of your bed by supporting it with bricks or using a wedge pillow.I'm not sure if that might make your back problems worse, but that you woke up to a burning sensation seems to suggest that your acid reflux might be worse at night, as is the case with most people. You might also try mixing some baking soda with water and drinking it to help manage your heartburn symptoms. Sometimes, this works for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

pinaay
05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Sorry; I didn't mean to post twice and am not sure how to remove my double post.

oldpot
05-31-2013, 01:10 AM
well this is the first night that its made me not sleep ,since i came back from garden its not eased up at all , i been taking antacids there not working and mucinex for nose and sinus , at my wits end got appointment with doctors on monday but is there anything that will releave the burning pain .

pinaay i will try that with the baking soda anything right now if helps , weird thing is when i have had heartburn before i get it more intense that what i got now lasts about 5-10 mins and normal goes away when i drink a couple big drinks of sober and then burp but normaly get heartburn 4-5 times a year , this what i got now had almost 24/7 now for 6 days .

pinaay
05-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah; with GERD, antacids don't seem to be very effective. Before I found out that I had acid reflux, I had been taking Tums and also milk of magnesia, all of which didn't help at all. I believe that these medications only neutralize stomach acid and for quite a short period of time, rather than reduce the amount that is being produced, which is what needs to happen for individuals with GERD.

If you do have acid reflux, I think that Mucinex will not work. Mucinex, to my understanding, is designed to thin too thick mucus produced in the nasal passage, especially of one produces too much. If your post-nasal drip symptoms are a result of acid reflux, then the problem is not that you're producing too much mucus, but that it isn't being cleared effectively because of difficulty swallowing or tissue irritation.

Good to know that you have an appointment coming up and I hope that you'll find answers. Something else that you can try now would be to change your eating habits and diet. Try not to eat 2 to 3 hours before going to bed, eat small portions frequently throughout the day rather than a few big meals all at once and try to reduce, if not eliminate such "trigger" foods as spicy foods, deep-fried foods and chocolate. This might not provide instant relief, but these are lifestyle changes that you should make if you are diagnosed with GERD.

And actually, most acid reflux symptoms are "silent". While you might only have had heartburn occasionally in the past and not have experienced anything significant until now, you may have been suffering from acid reflux for years without knowing.

oldpot
06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
ty again for you input
well i took some baking soda on friday and it worked wonders for that day (took 3 lots of 4oz water to 1/2 a tea spoon) but i did not do alot of walking about that day bur did not feel no burning or pain ,
today Saturday went to shop felt ok got some omeprazole and took one of them then went on my motorized bike had to pedal a few times and then i felt the burning/pain come back but not as bad as before , tonight i feel it a bit but not as bad as last 5 days i have not took any baking soda as dont know if i can with these pills hope i can explane to the doc how i feel as sometimes difficult to take to them due to i from england and hard to understand .

noevr
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
You know to stay away from tomatoes, onions, garlic, spicey foods and stuff, right? Also when I get the burning real bad ill drink a little milk and it helps.

Yeah I would go to the dr and at least let them do an upper gi on youyou. I'm afraid you may have a duodenum ulcer and I don't know if I spelled it right. Cathy

pinaay
06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
ty again for you input
well i took some baking soda on friday and it worked wonders for that day (took 3 lots of 4oz water to 1/2 a tea spoon) but i did not do alot of walking about that day bur did not feel no burning or pain ,
today Saturday went to shop felt ok got some omeprazole and took one of them then went on my motorized bike had to pedal a few times and then i felt the burning/pain come back but not as bad as before , tonight i feel it a bit but not as bad as last 5 days i have not took any baking soda as dont know if i can with these pills hope i can explane to the doc how i feel as sometimes difficult to take to them due to i from england and hard to understand .

You're very welcome and I'm glad to know that baking soda helped you :)
I imagine baking soda and omeprazole won't interact with each other- I have taken Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Tums on the same day a number of times and have not had any adverse side effects. If you're a little wary about taking them together, you could try taking omeprazole in the morning or afternoon and the baking soda before bed, or vice versa.
What you can do to help you prepare for your visit to the doctor is list out your symptoms on paper (much like you've done here) and practice what you want to say. It's not just you- symptoms are pretty subjective and can be difficult to convey, but don't feel intimidated or discouraged. Just take your time and give your doctor a written description of your symptoms if you're worried about not being clear.
Also, it may be best to take it easy until your condition stabilizes or improves. Try doing light physical activity rather than vigorous and avoid such activities that might force you to adopt certain postures that can aggravate acid reflux (ie: bending over, lying on one's stomach, twisting the upper body etc.).

oldpot
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
i went to the doctors and she checked me out and said i had acid reflux, and some blood work to test as well , gave me 5 dexilant then some more omeprazole , so hope that will well kind of sort it out , over the last 9 days i have cut out ,and cut down on eating but not staved myself and having small meals no fatty, chocolate, beer not eating 3 hours before bed etc,etc , just stuff that is good for the reflux , i weighted 228 pounds 8 days back now i weight 220,now i know if might sound silly but i am paranoid that i lost that much weight in so little time , and silly things are floating about in my mind , can you lose that much in so little time with this .

Now i just got to find out whats best for me and work at it .

pinaay
06-04-2013, 07:23 AM
i went to the doctors and she checked me out and said i had acid reflux, and some blood work to test as well , gave me 5 dexilant then some more omeprazole , so hope that will well kind of sort it out , over the last 9 days i have cut out ,and cut down on eating but not staved myself and having small meals no fatty, chocolate, beer not eating 3 hours before bed etc,etc , just stuff that is good for the reflux , i weighted 228 pounds 8 days back now i weight 220,now i know if might sound silly but i am paranoid that i lost that much weight in so little time , and silly things are floating about in my mind , can you lose that much in so little time with this .

Now i just got to find out whats best for me and work at it .

Great to know that you've got an answer and are working towards solving the problem :) You sound to be on the right track too.

Weight loss can happen quickly, especially if you're making big changes to the way in which you're eating. I suspect that your eight pound weight loss is probably mostly water- no one can really lose eight pounds of fat in a week, in relatively normal circumstances. Don't worry about it and in fact, I suggest that you put aside the scale in favor of the measuring tape. You don't seem to have significant weight issues, depending on your height but losing some abdominal fat can often help acid reflux. Do some research to find out what the appropriate waist measurements for a man are and if you're larger than that, aim to lose a few inches. Abdominal fat can push against the stomach and cause acid reflux, even in an individual who doesn't necessarily need to lose a lot of weight. If your measurements are fine, then don't worry about it and focus on changing your diet and lifestyle.

Also, keep relaxed and don't worry too much about your health at this point in time. Anxiety definitely makes acid reflux worse and doesn't do anything to solve the problem :) Understand that it may take anywhere from a few days to a few months for your to start seeing results from your treatment and most importantly, don't give up. If you find that your apparent weight loss is too concerning, you can always start going to the gym to lift weights or do so at home, once you get your symptoms under control.

Jyby
06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
My last week with weed went like this. Note I had GERD for maybe a year, undiagnosed no meds. I came home smoked weed and said f*** HW played Skyrim. Strange head sensation, panicked all day. Went to ER that night. Discharged anxiety.... Today I still have GERD. I feel better if I say to my self "Keep it down buddy!" Also make sure you eat when you wake up! Don't forget! And don't stop taking the meds... Hope some of this can clue you to something. I'll be perusing the forums... Get well my friend!

oldpot
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
again ty for all your replays ,i did search the internet and acid reflux can make you lose weight quickly , i am more relaxed at the moment from the finding and what pinaay said ty, i am 50 years old and 5ft 10 , now weight 220 lbs , i have stopped the weed and beer since i got this for the moment , i have always liked a few beers once , a week (4-10 cans/bottles normaly when i do a radio show online )that's going to be hardest of all to give up (or have you got to give it up 100%)now that i cannot take the pain meds for my disc bulges when it flares up , again having weed helps, but i will have to see if i can smoke it (i use a one a pipe )when needed and not eat later , i think i can sort the rest out (eating right )will be hard but i done ok so far ,lots of things to think about and learn
have you got a link i can use pinaay for a place to check my stomach/weight???,
i heard that acid reflux can be cured ?? with right eating meds etc , so i could have a beer in the future or have i done for rest of my life .

noevr
06-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi maybe you can talk to your dr about pain patches I can't think of the name of them now instead of something orally but you would definitely have to quit the beers lol! Cathy

pinaay
06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Judging from your height and weight, I think that you might benefit from trying to get under 200 pounds. The following is a website about BMI (body mass index):

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Please keep in mind that it's just a rough approximation and that BMI is not necessarily an accurate gage of health.

I can't seem to find anything about what your waist should be, specifically, but this might be something that you can visually assess yourself. If you can "pick up" or pinch a substantial amount of abdominal fat, chances are you might benefit from losing a few inches. Something you might consider doing is getting in touch with a registered dietician or personal trainer; they might be able to provide you with more fixed guidelines as well as a plan to help you meet your health goals.

I think that acid reflux is something that most people have to live with. I'm not sure that it can totally be "cured"- people who don't have GERD have occasional bouts of acid reflux, too. For this reason, I wouldn't say that you can never have another beer again for the rest of your life, but you might want to try cutting it out completely until you get your symptoms under control.

If you feel that you can, you can try cutting beer out 100%. If you feel that you need to take gradual steps however, try to reduce your intake. For example, start by substituting half of your daily/weekly alcohol intake with water. Do this for a few weeks, or until you've "mastered" this, then keep replacing beer with water until you have stopped drinking beer. As further incentive, consider that as a radio show host, you are a vocal professional. Your vocal strength and stamina will probably improve as you drink more water and less alcohol, not to mention you will probably lose some weight in the process. Making a radical lifestyle change isn't always the best way to go, unless absolutely necessary. With such a condition as acid reflux, your goal should be to establish better eating and drinking habits for life, not just for the few months that it may take to get your reflux symptoms under control. For this reason, set yourself goals that you know you can accomplish. Sometimes, starting small is the best way. I encourage you to cut out alcohol entirely if you can, but it will only make the problem worse if you totally cut out beer, crave it more than ever, and wind up drinking even more than you usually do as you "fall off the wagon", much like yo-yo dieters eating too little during the diet, binging at the end and eventually gaining back even more weight than they had to begin with. Alcohol, as well as carbonated beverages and caffeinated beverages are particularly well known for aggravating acid reflux symptoms, but I don't believe that you have to be as extreme as never having beer again.

As for your back pain, applying a hot pack to your back may help. It may not be as effective as weed or painkillers, but I don't think that these treatment options are particularly viable for an individual suffering from acid reflux. You might also benefit from pain rubs or some ice applied to the area.

So many changes can seem intimidating, but take it one day at a time rather than looking too far ahead. You should be encouraged by the fact that you are taking action :)

oldpot
06-06-2013, 09:20 AM
ty again pinaay for the very good tips ,wow not need 200lbs since i came to usa from England 9 years back :( ,(all that american foods hehehe) ty for the website i check that out , i am reading a lot of stuff as well on what to eat what i can drink etc etc and meals i can have , and try work out whats best for me ,since i started taking medication its been better than it was , but i still get more burning sensation in my throat and tunnel effect to my back area (not as bad as i did at the beginning )more when i starts doing more active like gardening , i ok with the beer at the moment i give it a month or so and then have a couple and see what happens , might then might mix it with non alcohol beers as well (if there ok to drink) again ty for your nice replay .

pinaay
06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
ty again pinaay for the very good tips ,wow not need 200lbs since i came to usa from England 9 years back :( ,(all that american foods hehehe) ty for the website i check that out , i am reading a lot of stuff as well on what to eat what i can drink etc etc and meals i can have , and try work out whats best for me ,since i started taking medication its been better than it was , but i still get more burning sensation in my throat and tunnel effect to my back area (not as bad as i did at the beginning )more when i starts doing more active like gardening , i ok with the beer at the moment i give it a month or so and then have a couple and see what happens , might then might mix it with non alcohol beers as well (if there ok to drink) again ty for your nice replay .

You're very welcome and I'm glad that I could be of help :) yeah; the American diet seems to be the downfall of many haha
Just keep at it and be patient; good that you have seen improvement in your symptoms. Best of luck!